Laser Eye Surgery.

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Deus Ex Machina.
Rest In Peace Ranger

Laser Eye Surgery.

Post by Deus Ex Machina. »

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and back, and i've just recently scanned the forums for an answer that I require for getting the Opt40 contract. What i'd like to know is...what if I get correctable eye surgery before I enlist, and get the doctors 'GO' saying that the laser eye surgery would in no way hinder my ability to perform...would I be disqualified from airborne? and not get the Opt40 contract?

And if any Ranger is wondering i'm thinking about getting PRK surgery instead of lasik.
msg_dman
Ranger

Post by msg_dman »

Just wait until you get in and you will get it done for free.
Ranger Class # 12-89
Merrills PSG 89-90
C/Co 4th RTB 90-92
USASOC Ft Bragg 01-06
Retired 1 Feb 2006

In Memory of 1LT Ben Hall - KIA 31 July 2007
squib
Embryo

Post by squib »

wow, ive heard rumors to this effect. but if this is true, that would be most excellent. :shock:
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

squib wrote:wow, ive heard rumors to this effect. but if this is true, that would be most excellent. :shock:
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
MrsDocMac

Re: Laser Eye Surgery.

Post by MrsDocMac »

Deus Ex Machina. wrote:I know this topic has been beaten to death, and back, and i've just recently scanned the forums for an answer that I require for getting the Opt40 contract. What i'd like to know is...what if I get correctable eye surgery before I enlist, and get the doctors 'GO' saying that the laser eye surgery would in no way hinder my ability to perform...would I be disqualified from airborne? and not get the Opt40 contract?

And if any Ranger is wondering i'm thinking about getting PRK surgery instead of lasik.
My husband was at a MEPS station for his last Duty station as the medical section's NCOIC and he said that once you have had lasik or any form of it you are no longer eligible for enlistment into the United States Army. This is also non-waiverable as of 01 July 2005 when he left the MEPS. It is true however that the Army will pay for an Active Duty servicemember to receive the lasik surgery at no cost. FYI, there is no coverage for family members as far as lasik is concerned at this time.
goon
USMC Veteran

Post by goon »

Hello from The sandbox all. I know I have been gone for a long time but I have a min at the Net Cafe and I wanted to post some info that might help with this topic.

Active military can get laser surgery for free (Based on time left in service minimums). There are also certain medical criteria that have to be met. The first part of the surgery process is going to a briefing. They then make an appointment for an initial consultation with the clinic. They go over the options and determine if you are a candidate for either Lasik or PRK or neither. Just because you need glasses does not guarentee that you can have the surgery. If itis determined that you are a candidate they will tell if you can get PRK or Lasik. My recomendation is that if you wnat to go airborne or SF or Ranger or even just have an active life tell them you want the PRK. There is no cutting of the cornea with PRK. This is important since if you are doing anything that permits you to be hit in the eye with anything there is a higher chance of damaging the flap that is left over the cornea after Lasik. I hope this helps. DOC GOON OUT
USMC 6492 (AD 1990-1995)
IRR (1995-1998)
USA 91W (2005-?)
Aequoreus tunc Miles militis
Prepping for the Q course
245thPsyoper
US Army Vet (Airborne)

MED Intell

Post by 245thPsyoper »

Man, all this medical intell is some good shit, HOWEVER, like all intell, it best be current, and real world (ie. the Doc said this is valid now, not my buddy told me that once) . I remember when contact lens were high speed, MEDDAC issued(1979),.,, for FREE! I was overjoyed, but they sucked. Either those or the birth control glasses (they were thick bastard, would stop 155 frag) were free for the asking. ...I can't wear glasses since then.
Then, the RPK eye surgery came along that all the wanna-be cops were getting, however, that op would get you kicked out of the army; mainly because MEDDAC didn't think of it. Now, they'll do you a LASIK for free.....
maybe you'll get kicked out in 5 years, who knows....just sign here.
I just hope all us bad eye guys don't meet in some VA hospital many years from now, holding hands, telling MEDACC war stories.

Death before Disco
245th PSYOP Co (ABN), Dallas TX
& several CA units; Korea, Bosnia,
yada, yada, yada

"The Almighty tells me he can get me out of this mess, but he's pretty sure your fucked. "

"I told you guys we should have never shot Lt. Niedermeyer"

"Send lawyers, guns, and ,money"
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

This is out of AR 40-501 Standards of medical fitness for enlistment.
2–12. Eyes
The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:
a. Lids.
(1) Blepharitis (373), chronic, of more than mild degree.
(2) Blepharospasm (333.81).
(3) Dacryocystitis, acute or chronic (375.3).
(4) Deformity of the lids (374.4), complete or extensive, sufficient to interfere with vision or impair protection of
the eye from exposure.
b. Conjunctiva.
(1) Conjunctivitis, chronic (372.1), including trachoma (076) and allergic conjunctivitis (372.13).
(2) Pterygium, (372.4), if encroaching on the cornea in excess of 3 millimeters (mm), interfering with vision,
progressive (372.42), or recurring after two operative procedures (372.45).
(3) Xerophthalmia (372.53).
c. Cornea.
(1) Dystrophy, corneal, of any type (371.5), including keratoconus (371.6) of any degree.
(2) Keratorefractive surgery, history of lamellar (P11.7) and/or penetrating keratoplasty (P11.6). Laser surgery or
appliance utilized to reconfigure the cornea is also disqualifying.
(3) Keratitis (370), acute or chronic, which includes recurrent corneal ulcers, erosions (abrasions), or herpetic ulcers
(054.42).
(4) Vascularization (370.6) or opacification (371) of the cornea from any cause that is progressive or reduces vision
below the standards prescribed in paragraph 2–13 below.
d. Uveitis (364) or iridocyclitis.
e. Retina.
(1) Angiomatosis (759.6), or other congenitohereditary retinal dystrophy (362.7) that impairs visual function.
(2) Chorioretinitis or inflammation of the retina (363), including histoplasmosis, toxoplasmosis, or vascular conditions
of the eye to include Coats’ disease, Eales’ disease, and retinitis proliferans, unless a single episode of known
cause that has healed and does not interfere with vision.
(3) Congenital or degenerative changes of any part of the retina (362).
(4) Detachment of the retina (361), history of surgery for same, or peripheral retinal injury or degeneration that may
cause retinal detachment.
f. Optic nerve.
(1) Optic neuritis (377.3), neuroretinitis, secondary optic atrophy, or documented history of attacks of retrobulbar
neuritis.
(2) Optic atrophy (377.1), or cortical blindness (377.7).
(3) Papilledema (377.0).
g. Lens.
(1) Aphakia (379.3), lens implant, or dislocation of a lens.
(2) Opacities of the lens (366) that interfere with vision or that are considered to be progressive.
h. Ocular mobility and motility.
(1) Diplopia (386.2), documented, constant or intermittent.
(2) Nystagmus (379.5).
(3) Strabismus (378), uncorrectable by lenses to less than 40 diopters or accompanied by diplopia.
(4) Strabismus, surgery (P15) for the correction of, within the preceding 6 months.
(5) For entrance into the USMA or ROTC programs, the following conditions are also disqualifying: esotropia of
over 15 prism diopters; exotropia of over 10 prism diopters; hypertropia of over 5 prism diopters.
i. Miscellaneous defects and conditions.
(1) Abnormal visual fields due to disease of the eye or central nervous system (368.4), or trauma (368.9). Meridianspecific
visual field minimums are as follows:
(a) Temporal, 85 degrees.
(b) Superior-temporal, 55 degrees.
(c) Superior, 45 degrees.
(d) Superior nasal, 55 degrees.
(e) Nasal, 60 degrees.
(f) Inferior nasal, 50 degrees.
(g) Inferior, 65 degrees.
(h) Inferior-temporal, 85 degrees.
(2) Absence of an eye, congenital (743) or acquired (360.8).
(3) Asthenopia (368.13), severe.
(4) Exophthalmos (376), unilateral or bilateral, non–familial.
(5) Glaucoma (365), primary, or secondary, or pre-glaucoma as evidenced by intraocular pressure above 21
millimeters of mercury (mmHg), or the secondary changes in the optic disc or visual field loss associated with
glaucoma.
(6) Loss of normal pupillary reflex reactions to accommodation (367.5) or light (379.4), including Adie’s syndrome.
(7) Night blindness (368.6).
(8) Retained intraocular foreign body (360).
(9) Growth or tumors of the eyelid, other than small basal cell tumors which can be cured by treatment, and small
nonprogressive asymptomatic benign lesions.
(10) Any organic disease of the eye (360) or adnexa (376) not specified above, that threatens vision or visual
function.
2–13. Vision
a. Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to at least one of the following
(367):
(1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye.
(2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye.
(3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye. However, for entrance into USMA or ROTC, distant visual acuity
that does not correct to 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other eye is disqualifying. For entrance into OCS, distant
visual acuity that does not correct to 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye is disqualifying.
b. Near visual acuity (367) of any degree that does not correct to 20/40 in the better eye.
c. Refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), in any spherical equivalent of worse
than –8.00 or +8.00 diopters; if ordinary spectacles cause discomfort by reason of ghost images or prismatic
displacement; or if corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery. However, for entrance into USMA or
Army ROTC programs, the following conditions are disqualifying:
(1) Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters.
(2) Hyperopia over 8.00 diopters spherical equivalent.
(3) Myopia over 8 diopters spherical equivalent.
(4) Refractive error corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery.
d. Contact lenses. Complicated cases requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal scars
(371) and irregular astigmatism (367.2).
e. Color vision (368.5). Although there is no standard, color vision will be tested because adequate color vision is a
prerequisite for entry into many military specialties. However, for entrance into the USMA or Army ROTC or OCS
programs, the inability to distinguish and identify without confusion the color of an object, substance, material, or light
that is uniformly colored a vivid red or vivid green is disqualifying.
Lasik/PRK does not disqualify for enlistment and is now acceptable for flight.

http://www.usaarl.army.mil/PRKLASIK/Ref ... %20APL.pdf

Just depends on weather you want to pay for it or not.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Post by VengefulIcebox »

91W wrote:This is out of AR 40-501 Standards of medical fitness for enlistment.
2–12. Eyes

c. Cornea.
(1) Dystrophy, corneal, of any type (371.5), including keratoconus (371.6) of any degree.
(2) Keratorefractive surgery, history of lamellar (P11.7) and/or penetrating keratoplasty (P11.6). Laser surgery or

(3) Keratitis (370), acute or chronic, which includes recurrent corneal ulcers, erosions (abrasions), or herpetic ulcers
(054.42).
(4) Vascularization (370.6) or opacification (371) of the cornea from any cause that is progressive or reduces vision
American Academy of Opthamology wrote:
Keratorefractive: Surgical procedures used for changing the shape of the cornea to correct errors of refraction. These include, but are not limited to lamellar and penetrating keratoplasty, , , LASIK, LASEK, photorefractive keratectomy, and intrastromal corneal implants (plastics and hydrogels).
http://www.aao.org/aao/member/policy/glossary.cfm

I had been rejected at the MEPS station for poor eyesight several years ago, following a five year wait on a previous attempt. I searched for a qualifying alternative with LASIK/PRK at that time, however it was a disqualifier as well.
Upon reading this thread I hoped eye surgery as a disqualifier had changed. Closer reading of the fine print revealed otherwise.

There's alot of information on ArmyRanger.com to cover, I had missed this thread for sometime, until now.

Before posting I did some googlefu, and answered my question regarding entry entry 'C' item '2' from AR 40-501.
Hopefully I have interpreted this information correctly, and don't step on my dick here.

With much respect 91W,
VI

EDIT: Following the link provided by 91W provides additional background on the waiver process, involving flight school applicants. So flight school yes, OPT 40 doesn't seem to be mentioned in the link.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-William Tecumseh Sherman
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

VengefulIcebox wrote:
91W wrote:This is out of AR 40-501 Standards of medical fitness for enlistment.
2–12. Eyes

c. Cornea.

(054.42).
American Academy of Opthamology wrote:
Keratorefractive: Surgical procedures used for changing the shape of the cornea to correct errors of refraction. These include, but are not limited to lamellar and penetrating keratoplasty, , , LASIK, LASEK, photorefractive keratectomy, and intrastromal corneal implants (plastics and hydrogels).
http://www.aao.org/aao/member/policy/glossary.cfm

I had been rejected at the MEPS station for poor eyesight several years ago, following a five year wait on a previous attempt. I searched for a qualifying alternative with LASIK/PRK at that time, however it was a disqualifier as well.
Upon reading this thread I hoped eye surgery as a disqualifier had changed. Closer reading of the fine print revealed otherwise.

There's alot of information on ArmyRanger.com to cover, I had missed this thread for sometime, until now.

Before posting I did some googlefu, and answered my question regarding entry entry 'C' item '2' from AR 40-501.
Hopefully I have interpreted this information correctly, and don't step on my dick here.

With much respect 91W,
VI

EDIT: Following the link provided by 91W provides additional background on the waiver process, involving flight school applicants. So flight school yes, OPT 40 doesn't seem to be mentioned in the link.

Ok here goes, as far as I understand this and I am not a Flight Doc or Meps Doc, PRK and Lasik is waiverable. What was you vision correctable to? That is key in determining what you qualify for. Opt 40 is also Airborne and a portion of the flight physical and its standards apply. I have no idea exactly how much of it since we just did complete flight physicals in our clinic to simplify the process. I will do my best to find out an answer for you on a waiver procedure and get back with you in by Friday COB at 1800hrs. Again I will admit that I may be wrong on a waiver for enlistment so bear with me and I will answer it. SFC Hit_IT might be able to give the exact answer right now.

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Post by VengefulIcebox »

Thanks for the response 91W.
To answer your question on my correction, I believe it was -7 and -7.5 for one eye to another. Nearsighted, or Myopic, I think is the term.

It's definitely an interesting development involving the aeromedical waivers. If it does not immediately impact OPT 40, or ground force applicants maybe it will evolve to include those duties in the future.
Looking forward to more information posted, I'll keep an eye for updates.

Good luck,
VI
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
91W
USAR

Post by 91W »

Here is what I have found so far:

http://www.wramc.army.mil/departments/o ... 202003.pdf

and the updated memo,

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/doem/vi ... URGERY.pdf

and some more info,

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningt ... urgery.htm

If I understand you correctly you have been disqualified because of poor eyesite on a previous attempt to enlist. If so I would suggest looking into thewaiver process because it sounds like you have nothing to lose. Get the surgery and wait the 3 months that is stated in the memo have another exam and go for it. You already know that you will not be able to enlist without it. Good luck.

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
VengefulIcebox
Tadpole

Post by VengefulIcebox »

91W wrote:Here is what I have found so far:

http://www.wramc.army.mil/departments/o ... 202003.pdf

and the updated memo,

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/doem/vi ... URGERY.pdf

and some more info,

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningt ... urgery.htm

If I understand you correctly you have been disqualified because of poor eyesite on a previous attempt to enlist. If so I would suggest looking into thewaiver process because it sounds like you have nothing to lose. Get the surgery and wait the 3 months that is stated in the memo have another exam and go for it. You already know that you will not be able to enlist without it. Good luck.
91W, thank you for the efforts and information.
The details in the provided links provide exactly the answers sought after.
The results of this thread's search are pretty up to date. Definitley appears to be information that will answer current and future inquiries from DEPs regarding eye surgeries and waiver considerations.
VI
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

Fuck!!!

Jost got PRK 2 days ago and I'm suckin! I can barely see they keyboard. Anyone have any expereinces with how fast this clears up and I return to normal? I have all the answers from the Womack staff but they always give you the worst case scenario. Sorry for any typos but I can't see them anyway.

PRK does make fayetnam chicks look hot for the first couple of days.
RS Class 06-06
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Grumble and Grunt wrote:PRK does make fayetnam chicks look hot for the first couple of days.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wait, sorry, your vision's impaired. That's not very respectful of me at all.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

There, now you can read it.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “Medical Issues”