Laser Eye Surgery.

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grumble and Grunt »

The most ironic thing about the whole process is that the local anesthetic that they gave me to reduce pain actually hurts more than the constant irritation. It works after a minute or so but at first it is a real motherfucker.

They tell me 2 weeks till my vision starts getting normal. Until then I am ray fucking charles.
RS Class 06-06
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Ranger G&G, that pretty much sucks. WTF does the 82nd do with a PL thats close to useless for a couple of weeks post PRK? Light duty, med holding company, or convalescent leave?

I was at 20/15 immediately after my LASIK procedure in December. Best $2300 I think I ever spent.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

my bn is on block leave
i am conv right now and then i will muck about in rear d
i will have 1 week on profile left when everyone gets back so i will miss the JFEX but I will do admin shit during it, i.e. not jump and look for shit with a searchlight i guess.
RS Class 06-06
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

I don't wear glasses and I've never had corrective surgery but my IOBC class just took our Ranger School physicals. The guys who had LASIK went through hell to get a waiver, some were not able to get one. The guys who had PRK done had no problems.
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

Tetracaine is the stuff Doc.

PRK is the military standard if you have a diaptor under -4.0

There is a difference between LASEK and LASIK and I'm not totally sure which one is the standard for a diaptor of over -4.0 I suggest to anyone who is thinking about it to get it. I am happy with what I have gained in just 1 week. Go through the Army and they will square you away so you can still go to HALO or Scuba in the future. Its also not out of pocket. Womack's clinic only does the surgery so they have a lot of experience. I was impressed with the advice and effeciency of the whole affair.
RS Class 06-06
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

1 month till i'm good
i feel like i am at about a 20/20 or 20/25 right now but sometimes its worse. After PT I get a little cloudy. It is random and unpredictable with light sensitivity and clarity of vision. But I am told that is normal.

Like I said I'm hoping for 30-60 days MAX post-op to be at better than 20/20. The surgeon and I are hoping for 20/10-20/15 due to my diaptor of -2.25 (minor correction).
RS Class 06-06
Grumble and Grunt
Ranger

I was told to use it for only the first week and it slows healing. I stopped after day 4. I used it a lot for the first 3 days.
RS Class 06-06
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Doc wrote:Maybe someone else is better versed on this than I am, but I think I've read some articles regarding corneal thinning in some patients with extended or excessive use of Tetracaine.

I'm interested if this is something that is discussed with patients who have had lasix and the like.

Any thoughts from our PAs/MDs?

Check Six,
Doc
It's far beyond my medical training, but I have found abstracts that corroborate your memory. Sounds like a good thing that Grumble and Grunt discontinued use.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=12474918
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... ds=9220240
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
weberp
Embryo

Post by weberp »

After reading this post and the articles I noticed that the Implants in your eyes are disqualifying (atleast the older types) I was wondering if there is a waiver for those?
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Fish wrote:
weberp wrote:After reading this post and the articles I noticed that the Implants in your eyes are disqualifying (atleast the older types) I was wondering if there is a waiver for those?
What kind of implants do you have?
Normally these are used to combat Macular degeneration...

OK, I used google!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Medical Issues”