PT Program

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Dookiestick-

Rucking, like most things, is a mind game. Me, I actually like rucking. Gives ya plenty of time to think about shit. I'm one of those natural ruckers/non-runners though.

So don't worry too much about your lack of rucking prior to entry. Yeah, it's good if you do, but in my case, it wasn't necessary.

Let me add in that foot care is CRUCIAL to a Ranger. Listen close in all first aid training about treatment of blisters....best thing to do is not get them in the first place. If you know certain areas that you are prone to hot spots/blisters, tape that area with duct tape or moleskin beforehand.
Doozerstick
Paratrooper

Post by Doozerstick »

Rucking, like most things, is a mind game. Me, I actually like rucking. Gives ya plenty of time to think about shit. I'm one of those natural ruckers/non-runners though.
That sounds more like me Ranger BadMuther. I've never all out rucked before, but I love to hike and I know what you mean about time to think about shit.

Thank you for the advice on foot care. It seems obvious, but its little things like that, that probably give us DEPs from ArmyRanger.com a slight edge over your average DEP.

Once again, thank you very much.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

No problemo.....Read Doc's thread here on foot care, and also check this out.......

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthr ... genumber=2
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

Did you just call him a butt Ranger?
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Harris wrote:Did you just call him a butt Ranger?
Harris, are you going to come collect your mom before shipping out? She's real ugly in the daytime, and she's starting to smell.......

Harris, the energizer pop-up target.........
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

devilrat35 wrote:
BadMuther wrote:Dookiestick-

So don't worry too much about your lack of rucking prior to entry. Yeah, it's good if you do, but in my case, it wasn't necessary.

Let me add in that foot care is CRUCIAL to a Ranger. Listen close in all first aid training about treatment of blisters....best thing to do is not get them in the first place. If you know certain areas that you are prone to hot spots/blisters, tape that area with duct tape or moleskin beforehand.
But Ranger BadMuther, according to LN, I thought nobody can possibly like rucking? I'm confused. ;) Yeah I did mention I kinda thought rucking sucked the second time around but that's a good point, gives ya plenty of time to think. I think that day I just had nothing on my mind and was bored to death. :P

I see moleskin used a lot though, I gotta ask. What is moleskin, is it like a second skin coating you can put over your skin or what?
Poodle man, didn't see where LN said noone likes rucking. I can understand the feeling though-it's like when people tell me they like getting up early, or they like running...that's akin to me saying I like to sit on the ends of broken off beer bottles.

Moleskin-it's a soft, fuzzy adhesive backed protective type covering for your feet. Check Doc's foot care thread. It's available at any PX/walmart/etc, in the foot care section.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

poodleskirt-

Some roadmarches can definitely take you straight to the breaking point, there is no doubt about that. Where every frickin fiber in your body is fucking hurting, and you are gritting through it like your life depended on it.....110%, and then some. Nope, didn't like those. But in general, I was always a strong rucker, and didn't mind humping through the woods or a decent pace roadmarch. 15 minute miles are cake. It's around 12 and faster that the fun starts....

I would take what's on the packing list for basic. You might be able to get away with bringing gold bond (WHY????) and moleskin. If not, more likely then not, you will be able to buy some at the PX. Ductape works GREAT for taping up before blisters happen, and it's cheaper.
deleon275
Ranger

Post by deleon275 »

Heh, speaking of roadmarches that bring you to the breaking point. Has anyone here done a platoon ex-eval or an EDRE? God, did that when I was a private and it was the first time I saw the extreme hardcore Rangers with a suck face. I went beyond the suck face and it just fell off :P
"When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the White House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy." John Boehner

''If we took away the minimum wage — if conceivably it was gone — we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level.''
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

deleon275 wrote:Heh, speaking of roadmarches that bring you to the breaking point. Has anyone here done a platoon ex-eval or an EDRE? God, did that when I was a private and it was the first time I saw the extreme hardcore Rangers with a suck face. I went beyond the suck face and it just fell off :P
yep, or an artep???? Fun fun.....suck face........The "I'm crying like a little bitch inside, but I ain't showing it face"?
:wink:
Blacksrt4
Tadpole

Post by Blacksrt4 »

I like ruckin becuase like Ranger BadMuther said you get to think about every thing (OSUT AIRBORNE RIP OSUT RIP then AIRBORNE again) but yeah its kinda fun in a weird kinda way I guess...
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

poodlepucker-

The army issues you foot powder..just wnated to make sure you weren't rubbing gold bond on your sack or some other nonsense!!!

You'll quickly learn that half the habits you get in basic training will get you made fun of in Batt. Iceyhot comes to mind.

One more thing, DON'T BUY THOSE STUPID PT OUTFITS THEY LET YOU BUY AT BASIC! YOU"LL NEVER WEAR IT AGAIN. Not unless you like to get made fun of a lot!
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Ahhhhhhh, I just got back from my first rucking experience. 8) I agree about it being fun in a wierd way, it kind of got me pumped up. I guess I did not do horribly for my first time; I did four miles in 52 minutes with about a 60 pound pack. I jogged about 1/3rd or 1/2 of it. :P
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

With my left hand and the internet, anyone's my girlfriend.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies

Return to “About Army Physical Training”