Extensive bruising after broken bone

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Extensive bruising after broken bone

Post by Ardent Lady »

About 10 days ago, I rather thoroughly broke my tibia, and capped off the fibula, too. The Dr. pieced it all back together, added some erector set pieces and I'm good to go, non-weightbearing profile for a long time, but apparently going to heal up fine.

My question is whether there is anything I can do to reduce the pooled blood that is still in my leg, especially the stuff that's accumulated in the ankle area. It's pretty sore, dark black and feels... lumpy under the skin. Do you know if there is something I can do to help get it broken down and moved along?

Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

WOW .....your going to setting off airport metal detectors with that much metal in ya.

That had to be exposed ...how did you do it?
Last edited by rgrpuck on February 7th, 2006, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
wellfed
Ranger

Post by wellfed »

OUch...and the answer is TIME! You wrecked on a motorcycle didn't you? fell of a horse?.... Got hit by a car? Take it easy and elevate.
"You're never beaten until you admit it."

RS 1-86
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Nice Gams...

Keep the foot elevated, and exercise the leg muscles as best as you can, as often as you can.

Don't get on it too early... let it heal.

So... when do we get to see the rest???? :P
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

rgrpuck wrote:WOW .....your going to setting off airport metal detectors with that much metal in ya.

That had to be exposed ...how did you do it?
It probably will set the airport wands beeping, but I'm hoping the surgery scar will explain it...

Fortunately it wasn't exposed - all bits and pieces stayed inside for the whole adventure.

It was a stupid accident, shoulda known better, but zeal overtook knowledge and I'm just glad it wasn't worse. Ladders, chicks with chainsaws... let the razzing begin...

My 18 year old son and I were taking down some small trees along the back of the yard. They were growing up into the wires, looked stupid trimmed out of the wires, so I decided it was time to take them down and plant something else. We did two out of three when things got interesting.

I was on a ladder, about 5-6 steps up. The branch I cut didn't fall, but instead bound the chainsaw blade. I worked it free, carefully, but then felt myself falling. Two thoughts came to mind with absolute clarity - clear the saw! Don't fall, JUMP! The saw swung away safely and I dropped it, felt my feet hit the ground, felt the knee give way, and gravity took over from there. I was probably turning as I landed, which explains some of the fracturing.

Lying there, I realized there was major badness in that leg, so I rolled on my side, and felt it. Kneecap was fine, shin was not, but it wasn't poking through. My son came over, I sent him to call 911 and get my husband out there; the next new adventure of living with me had just begun.

They did surgery the next day, and I came home on Tues., a week ago. No cast, just a velcro-knee brace to wear, and non-weight bearing, non-driving profile for a month or more.

My knee works fine, as does the ankle; just wondering if there's something I can do for all the bruising and swelling.

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

[quote="Ardent Lady"] Ladders, chicks with chainsaws... let the razzing begin...

You could have stopped there. :wink:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

The fourth point of performance is “SLIP/TURN INTO THE WIND AND PREPARE TO LAND.â€
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
66G_RN
Vet/ Ranger Wife/ Sister

Post by 66G_RN »

AL, you might want to talk to a physical therapist. Ultrasound therapy can relieve pain and inflammation, speed healing, reduce muscle spasms, and increase range of motion.

My personal experience with ultrasound therapy was from a long time ago and while it was a different type of injury, I had a huge contusion to heal up. When I was 19, I injured myself pretty good during Ground week at BAC and had a contusion from my right knee to the top of my right hip. Once I got back to my home near Ft. Polk, my doctor referred me to physical therapy. In addition to working on my range of motion, the PTs applied deep heat to the injury using ultrasound to enhance the absorption of the clot, speed my healing and heal the injured muscles.

I honestly don't know if this type of treatment would apply to your injury and I would think your orthopedic surgeon would have you in contact with a PT already. I would think elevation and ice would help reduce the swelling but in all honesty, I think you need to talk it over with your doctor and see a PT if you have not already done so.

My disclaimer here is that while I deal with broken bones on a regular basis, it's broken jaws and faces and reducing fractures of that sort, helping the doc insert plates and screws and such but not on extremities.

Here's an interesting article about if ultrasound can help heal bone fractures (study was done in rabbits, though!). http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/arc ... sound.html
Army Nurse Corps 89-98
Thursday
Tadpole

Post by Thursday »

The best thing for you to do is just rest up, let it heal by itself. Use the RICE method.

Rest
Ice
Compress
Elevate

That will help reduce the swelling in a non-pharmacalogical method. There is also the option of using something like Ibuprofen or Motrin, but excessive usage of these can lead to pretty severe ulcers, so consulting an MD first is a sure bet. Don't overdue anything. You now have a golden ticket for anything you need at the house, just have your son/ husband do it for you and claim you are in your healing stages.

As for the bruising / hematomas, there really isnt much you can do about it. Like you said, all of the blood that setteled just underneath your skin is just staying put, slowing getting removed by your body. The only way to get rid of a bruise is time. But you can cover it with a ACE bandage or something that will keep it from being visible.

Lastly, that is a pretty awesome broken tib/ fib xray, probably one of the best I have seen.

Good luck and take it easy. If you try to start doing work too soon, you will just find yourself out of the game for longer with more damage.

-Thursday
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Ranger Silverback, I hope my next landing is more up to specs.

Thank you, 66G and Thursday, for the pointers and advice. I will find out about the PT, and add that to the resting and elevation.

Having seen how very splintered the bones are makes it easier to accept the discipline of staying off of them, and to acknowledge the wisdom of all who've told me to do so.

--Herbert Spencer
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Ardent Lady wrote:Ranger Silverback, I hope my next landing is more up to specs.

Thank you, 66G and Thursday, for the pointers and advice. I will find out about the PT, and add that to the resting and elevation.

Having seen how very splintered the bones are makes it easier to accept the discipline of staying off of them, and to acknowledge the wisdom of all who've told me to do so.

You (and old woman) went up a ladder with a chain saw while a healthy teenage son watched???? Ok, your a dumbass. :roll:
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
SmileyTFJ

Post by SmileyTFJ »

....you could always just take a chain saw to it.

:P

Once it's healed enough check out the ultrasound therapy. Also check out a type of therapy where they send a mild electric current through the tissues. The saline is oppositely charged and when the electrodes are placed right it will force the fluid and the scar tissue broken up by the ultrasound therapy out of your lower leg. My therapist did that while encasing my foot in ice for about 10 min with compression (after the Ultrasound). I started seeing glimpses of an ankle! :shock:
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Abell9 wrote:
Ardent Lady wrote:Ranger Silverback, I hope my next landing is more up to specs.

You (and old woman) went up a ladder with a chain saw while a healthy teenage son watched???? Ok, your a dumbass. :roll:
I'll go with the dumbass point, Ranger Abell9, but old? You wish you were my age. Two years ago - and several gallons of water under the bridge - you could claim to be as old as I am, but not any more.

calling me old... someone 'round here thinks too much about all this age shit...

--Herbert Spencer
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Ardent Lady wrote:
Abell9 wrote:

I'll go with the dumbass point, Ranger Abell9, but old? You wish you were my age. Two years ago - and several gallons of water under the bridge - you could claim to be as old as I am, but not any more.

calling me old... someone 'round here thinks too much about all this age shit...
First off: Get well soon.

Now from reading this thread I see that you had a problem delegating authority. The boy should have climbed the ladder. The Lady should have supervised.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton

Return to “Medical Issues”