Swoff

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Swoff
Tadpole

Swoff

Post by Swoff »

Hello there rangers...... I live in Norway and have been interested in military life since I was a small boy. Now that I'm old enough I join something called Heimevernet Ungdom it is like the boy scouts only with army discipline, guns and the regular field trips to an army base near by. I'm just 16 so it will be a while until I get drafted by the army, so I guess I'll be hanging around here for a while.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Cock fight? and ya picked that because?????
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Norway drafts? Tell us more.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I forgot to welcome you............welcome to the board. :roll:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Swoff
Tadpole

Post by Swoff »

Sorry about the avatar. It was the only one I could come up with.
Well, in Norway we have drafts because our army is not the largest (Strength after mobilisation: 214,000 men and women). And every yeaar the army drafts 20,000 young men and some women. Out of them there are only 15,000 who get to serve. Those who drop out have these problems:
1.Most of them have taken drugs
2.Some just aren't motivated
3.There are those who can't take a single push up.

Since my familiy has proud military traditions (both of my grand fathers fought in WW2) some of the pressure has been on me. My brother has gotten accepted into the airborne and leaves tomorrow for boot camp.

EDIT: I'm really sorry about it but I pushed the wrong button and posted in the wrong forum. If one of the admin's could be so kind to move this topic over to the one for civilians. (I feel it is more correct even if I'm in a military organization)
Last edited by Swoff on February 28th, 2004, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
EggMcMuffin
Tadpole

Post by EggMcMuffin »

Welcome, Swoff. 8)
USAFA-CAP
SWR-TX-441

With my left hand and the internet, anyone's my girlfriend.

"We must remember that one man is much the same as another,
and he is best who is trained in the severest school." -Thucydidies
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Egg Zackly wrote:Welcome, Swoff. 8)
I agree with Egg Zackly,

WELCOME ABOARD SWOFF :D
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Steadfast wrote:
I agree with Egg Zackly,

I liked egg salad better...maybe he can be the "Tossed Salad" man next!!

Welcome Swoff.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Welcome

RLTW
Bell
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

wm311 wrote:
Steadfast wrote:
I agree with Egg Zackly,

I liked egg salad better...maybe he can be the "Tossed Salad" man next!!

Welcome Swoff.
:lol:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Desert Sloth wrote:Welcome Swoff.

I do have a question for you, being a military history buff and all. I know during WWII, there were alot of Norwegian soldiers that fought in the Wehrmacht and/or the German Waffen SS.

Did your grandfathers serve for the allies or for the German forces on the Eastern Front? Please, do not be offended by my question. I find it interesting for I study alot about German warfare in WWII, especially on the Eastern Front and the accolades of the Waffen SS (not to be confused with the Nazi SS stormtroopers who were the strong arm for the Nazi Party).

It would be interesting to kow.

Thanks

Ranger DS
Bco 2/75
DS,

Not to hijack, ( Okay, I am), but give us all a history lesson here. What was the difference between the Armed SS and the Nazi SS...IIRC it had to do with the Nazi party affiliation, correct? please correct me, as I'm sure to make a few mistakes.

In the beginning, the SS were all Nazi party members..as the war progressed soldiers were allowed into the Waffen SS or Armed SS who may not have been party loyalists, correct?

I know among history buffs the Waffen SS were thought of as great soldiers, while the Nazi stormtrooper SS were thought of as the thugs at the concentration camp.

Skool us!
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Grassseeeasss!
Swoff
Tadpole

Post by Swoff »

Desert Sloth wrote:Welcome Swoff.

I do have a question for you, being a military history buff and all. I know during WWII, there were alot of Norwegian soldiers that fought in the Wehrmacht and/or the German Waffen SS.

Did your grandfathers serve for the allies or for the German forces on the Eastern Front? Please, do not be offended by my question. I find it interesting for I study alot about German warfare in WWII, especially on the Eastern Front and the accolades of the Waffen SS (not to be confused with the Nazi SS stormtroopers who were the strong arm for the Nazi Party).

It would be interesting to kow.

Thanks

Ranger DS
Bco 2/75
I can understand that. Well, my fathers uncle fought with SS-Schijäger Bataillon Norwegen (roughly translated:Norwegian SS Ski-Ranger Battalion)...... that means that he fought on the eastern front. One of my mothers uncles fought with the 5th SS Division "Wiking". He died wihle defendig Berlin against Sovjet troops.

Of my grand fathers. One fought with the 3rd Infantry Division (American) and the other was in the NORIC (Norwegian Independent Company)....... that is just some of them. I'll post more information about them when I get back home. I have the Iron Cross 1st Class, got it from my fathers uncle as a gift.

EDIT: this is a great site for information about SS units on the eastern front http://www.axishistory.com/

Return to “Introduction Archive”