Rappel Question

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Silverback
Ranger

Re: Rappel Question

Post by Silverback »

Tater Nuts wrote:Has anyone done a single line rappel with a 9mm line before ? What terminal gear did you use ? Could this be done with a single snap link using multiple wraps?
Not sure about the tope (I'll find out) but "wraps" don't really apply as just about everyone is using figure eight descenders.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

LOL just make sure you've been true to your old guy diet, and that your Kung Fu Grip is on it's game. Otherwise be prepared to be whistling in at a rather impressive rate of speed that'll be guarenteed to impress the ladies, provided they don't actually SEE the landing stage.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
B 2/75
Ranger

Re: Rappel Question

Post by B 2/75 »

Desert Sloth wrote:
Tater Nuts wrote:Has anyone done a single line rappel with a 9mm line before ? What terminal gear did you use ? Could this be done with a single snap link using multiple wraps?
I did it with 8mm kermantle rope. At the time I was testing a new Rappel Device called the Tactical Rappel Device http://axiantactical.com/trd.html

This device was invented to create a safer option for Fast Roping Operations. You zip down the line very fast yet controlled. It kicks ass in my opinion, but the device is a little pricey and I am awaiting for more test results from other SOF units before I push for our unit to purchase it and make it operational.

I have done some rappels with double line 8mm and 1 in tubular nylon for practicing emergent/exigent rappels for short distances (emergency evacuation stuff from 2 or 3 story buildings). Used a figure eight device and you just gotta trust it and make damn sure you control your descent or it can get a bit hairy.
I'd be a bit wary of any climbing gear that has fookin LEDs on it. So what makes this thing so much quicker than fastroping? You still need to find the figure eight with your hand after you impact the ground, fumble with it until you push the button, and then you still have to get out of a harness, later on.

I'm skepical about these "insertion times" they show. I just don't see how any type of rappel can be quicker in total time, feet on whirlybird deck to feet on ground, running disconnected from the rope, toward a prerimeter. Just can't see it.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Hmmm, go test it in the yard then, I would think that 3 or 4 wraps around a carabineer would slow you down enough. That and with 50 ft of 550 you could lower you gear down first.

60-65 pounds of gear? Curious as to you packing list, I have been looking at the ultra light camping gear my self. What kind of gear do you have?
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Desert Sloth wrote: DO NOT USE A SINGLE CARABINER!
for 20 feet Id use it :D
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Tater Nuts wrote: This includes 6 liters water (no blue line on map in the area i'm looking at), and sleeping gear(down to mid 20's at night), mre's (7 or so stripped), Ruger 22/45 etc., and it all adds up. It might be less than 65, but not by much. It all fills a 6400 c.i. Mountainsmith expedition pack.
I know all about the no water thing, it really puts a crimp on your plans if you want to do an overnighter with horses. If you want when I get home I have some utlalight camping links I can send ya. Some of its good info, some of its barefoot hippie granola shit guaranteed no to hurt a chipmunk is ya step on it :roll:
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Damn.....I remember when all you needed to rappel was a snap link and a sling rope to tie a Swiss Seat with.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Slowpoke wrote:Damn.....I remember when all you needed to rappel was a snap link and a sling rope to tie a Swiss Seat with.
I meant snap link and since your still with us I am guessing that the above system worked
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92

Return to “Personal Gear”