Ranger Families

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
BandAid Brain
Embryo

Ranger Families

Post by BandAid Brain »

I am wondering if any of the Rangers out there can offer some advice/information regarding being married and serving in the Regiment. I am trying everything I know to get a shot at RIP. My wife was asking me: how often will you be gone if make it? how long are typical deployments? how active are the FRG's etc. Since I don't know, and maybe there are a few other prospective Rangers out there with families or plans to have one, I figured I would pose the question on the board. My wife is 1000% behind me on this, which makes it so much easier to try to do. She understands there will be a lot of time away, and that I could get killed or injured. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
"Ubi Dubium Ibi Liberatas!" -Gunter
DEP
used to have a 91W contract
Renegotiated for 11X
Report: 08APR04
Harris
Tadpole

Post by Harris »

It's been posted and answered before. I'll edit once I find the links.

[SEARCH]

*edit*
http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... ght=family
http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic. ... light=kids
*edit*
Last edited by Harris on February 16th, 2004, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slip away.
(Badmuther's Bitch)
being held hostage in sandhill...
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Married life in Batt is tough, no doubt about it. It can be done, but just know that you will be gone a lot of the time.
BandAid Brain
Embryo

Post by BandAid Brain »

I searched for quite a while and did not come across any answers for this....at least that were tailored toward a family perspective.
DEP
Renegotiated for 11X
BandAid Brain
Embryo

Post by BandAid Brain »

Kick as links!
Also, thanks Ranger wm311 for the comment
DEP
Renegotiated for 11X
rangerrich
Ranger

Ranger Family

Post by rangerrich »

I was married while in Batt, and served in a few units afterward and I can say that family life in Batt is better than family life in most other units. The wives have a phone roster like we did and had a very extensive support system for cherrires wives and such.
c 1/75 1st platoon Nov.89-Jun 93
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Two rules to live by
1 what happens on TDY stays on TDY
2 always give the 1-hour courtesy call before coming home after TDY

lets her put the toilet seat back down and shit like that, at least that’s what Sloth’s ol lady tells me she does
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
BandAid Brain
Embryo

Post by BandAid Brain »

Thank you Ranger Desert Sloth. I think I found a good one....she told me that she would divorce me if I did not give 1000% to achieving my goals and that since the Rangers truely are the tip of the spear she understands that I will be gone a lot. She looks at it that if I am trained by the best, and serve with the best then I will stand a better chance of surviving. She would probably be a Ranger if she could.
DEP
Renegotiated for 11X
Bell

Post by Bell »

My time in the Battalion brought about my divorce. I was never home and she was selfish. The divorce rate in the Battalions is one of the highest anywhere.

Baggage is hard to haul. You need to be able to focus 100% on the job. Then it always takes a little time to relax after one of those deployments. It's tough. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a motherfucker on families and girlfriends.

Good luck. Tell yer wife to expect you to be gone and act like a visitor when ya come back. It ain't easy but I've seen it done.

RLTW
Bell

Return to “Recruitment Process”