Soldiers Manual

Basic & AIT
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Soldiers Manual

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

I have picked up from a friend the Soldiers Manual of Common Tasks Skill level 1 from 1990.
My question is wether or not reading it and learning from it will better prepare me for Basic and AIT.
Basicly I just wanted to know if going through it would be a smart idea.

Thanks,

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Try this website. SMCT form 1990 will probably be of little use.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... ndex.shtml
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Roger that,
Thanks for the link Ranger The Holmchicken.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentor to stoicism
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Thanks for the info Soldier Certiorari.

Since I have extra time I'll be looking at the link that Ranger The Holmchicken gave me.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentor to stoicism
ShotUp
Soldier

Post by ShotUp »

certiorari wrote:Joe, unless your head is COMPLETELY up your ass, OSUT should be a breeze. Don't waste your money.

All the things you might want to start studying for OSUT are:

Soldiers Creed
Infantrymans Creed
Army Song
General Orders

All of which can be easily found on the internet for free.

I only knew the 3 General Orders when I went in, and that was more then about 80% of the guys in my platoon knew going in.
Why the fuck wouldn't he read up on the Common Tasks? Even if OSUT is a breeze, why not know as much as possible before he goes? I fuckin' wish I would've had the initiative to look into the common tasks before I left for Basic, and here you sit trying to make him look like an idiot.... All of the things you listed, I agree, are things he should also know. Also knowing the Common Tasks would put him a step ahead too.
02-08 1/128 INF BN
SkyShark
US Army Vet (Airborne)

Post by SkyShark »

certiorari wrote:He has better things to study for(as do I), that are more difficult to remember and require more time to learn like Ranger history.
With all do respect to the Rangers here, but Ranger History won't do dick for him in Basic, AIT or BAC. He should study up on learning how to bea soldier before a Ranger. Yes, basic should be somewhat of a breeze, but he should still learn what he can.

He can still learn Ranger History and other very important things that will help him in RIP, but he needs to be a soldier before he learns to be a Ranger. Know what I mean?
It's all good.
ShotUp
Soldier

Post by ShotUp »

What Paratrooper SkyShark said, was exactly what I was thinking and should end this topic. I'd first like to add something.

In my honest opinion you should have 3 things before you leave for basic. Discipline, Knowledge and Motivation. I'm not trying to say that RANGER history isn't something he should be looking into, but it shouldn't be the base of his studies at the present time.
02-08 1/128 INF BN
RGR_Dan
Ranger

Post by RGR_Dan »

certiorari wrote:Joe, unless your head is COMPLETELY up your ass, OSUT should be a breeze. Don't waste your money.

Soldiers Creed
Infantrymans Creed
Army Song
General Orders

I only knew the 3 General Orders when I went in, and that was more then about 80% of the guys in my platoon knew going in.

Look fucko, The Holmchicken squared the boy away with what he asked for. Know your place. For a NEWB there is no reason for you to have 942 posts. Read more post less!
95-98 Aco. 3/75 2nd plt Weapons Sqd
98-01Hco 121st LRS
Former LEO
Former Contractor
LEO (round 2)
m-14.762
US Army Veteran

Post by m-14.762 »

Soldiers Creed
Infantrymans Creed
Army Song
General Orders

are all very important and will save you time studying if you already know, we could not go to sleep one night until all of us knew all these.

I would recommend that you get in good shape before you ship, make sure you can at least hit 70 in each event before you go. They will take you from there. Also practice pullups!
rakks_junkie

Post by rakks_junkie »

Soldiers Creed
Infantrymans Creed
Army Song
General Orders

The soldiers manual is a great tool for new soldiers who are entering their new assignments from OSUT. Your nuts to think the Common skills 1 is a waste of money. Read it before you critize it . You will get a book entering basic, that has everything but the soldiers manual goes deeper into everything. I still use it and I've been in a few years.

Return to “About OSUT”