Would you do it all over again?

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
pron275
Ranger

Post by pron275 »

Tough decision, but I can tell you this. I have been out for almost ten years and civilians lack leadership. There are some exceptions, but most of them couldn't lead themselves out of a closet. It will drive you nuts. It takes a while to transition. It's do able, but you will always be a ranger, and that desire never goes away. I don't regret getting out. My chosen profession is as close as I can get to what I left, I guess. However, I still miss the challenges of Battalion. Good luck with your decision.
pron275
Cco 2/75 '92-94
HHC 2/75' '94-'96
RGR Class 5-94

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who at best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat" Theodore Roosevelt
haz-mat
Ranger

Post by haz-mat »

Man I wish I would have stayed in. Took me about a year and a half (and a bunch of bottles of Beam) to even begin to fit in, in the civilian world. I promise you that you will NEVER work, play, etc. around the same calibre of people that you are used to. In the civillian world giving 50% is unheard of not to mention "100% and then some". By far the worst mistake of my life!!!!!!!!!!!
"Here dead lie we, because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung..." --A. E. Housman

3/75 92-95; Charlie Rock
Ranger school class 9-93
HQMaggot
Inprocessing

Post by HQMaggot »

The first thing I noticed when I got out was how whiny civilians are. I started working the first of an endless stream of boring, nowhere jobs in Detroit, and I could barely stand to be around my co-workers. If they missed their break, or the boss asked them to do a little extra, they cried like they were being tortured.

Then there were the little dictators that were in management. I had one asshole supervisor, that was threatened by the fact that I could work circles around him, tell me, "I could make your life pretty miserable around here." I looked him dead in his bloodshot eyes and told him, "FUCK YOU! I've been fucked with by people that do it for a living! Do your worst." Definitely NOT the reaction he expected.

I finally landed a gig working in an ER in Detroit; lots of action but definitely not the same.

Would I do it again? FUCK YES! the things I did wrong, I'd do right, and the things I did right, I'd do BETTER!!
HHC 1/75 6/81-12/82
Hq & Hq CMD Parachute Riggers HAAF 1/83-2/84
Co. F (RGR) 425 Inf. 5/84-6/85

Sloths move at the speed of congressional debate but with greater deliberation and less noise.
P.J. O'Rourke
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

Abell9 wrote:
Doc Cook wrote: I believe that everyone has an obligation to do at least 4 years of something for thier country either military, cop, EMT, teacher something.....
So....serving 7 years in Federal Prison for beating a Senators ass....that qualifies, right?
As long as it wasnt a Senator that supported the Military and didnt wear kid gloves...DUH
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....
Ranger175csar
Ranger

Post by Ranger175csar »

I would do it all over again and I miss it a lot. However I wouldnt change getting out or I would have what I have now, My wife and a child on the way...and they are BOTH truely a fucking comfort to my life.

But I miss it like no end...mostly the bortherhood and the mentality that goes with it. I hate fucken pussy sniveling fuicken civilians that dont know what hard work is.
Collins

1/75 HHC 94-96 S-4
RIP CLASS 7-94

Fuck em if they cant take a joke.....
Caruthers
Ranger

Post by Caruthers »

Life sucks........... good things about it.

Maggots
Alphabots
2nd Batt
75th Ranger
Wife
Kidsx3

Would go back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fuck no:in a heart beat
"When injustice becomes Law, resistance becomes duty"

Thomas Jefferson

Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.”
- Norm Franz
dyks
Ranger

Post by dyks »

In retrospect, a 20 or 21 year-old with limited perspective on the world outside of the battalian AO has little experience to base this decision on. Personally I never saw myself as a career soldier although the lifers that I met had a profound influence on me and are some of the most remarkable individuals I've ever known-would've followed em to hell and back. With that said I don't know that a family-centered life is compatible with the job. I saw alot of marriages crumble(including my own) and relationships strained. They say it takes a "special kind of woman" to be married to a Ranger. I guess by "special" they mean one who will put up with all the bullshit, the loneliness, deployments, the stress, clean the camo out of the tub, VA issues, etc. I left battalion after two years of earning my place because my wife(now ex-wife) requested it. Big mistake, definitely disappointed my squad leader and platoon sergeant( My platoon sergeant took me to the CSM who asked me if I "really wanted to piss-away the one place that gives a shit about you for this girl who fucked you over"?) Took an instructor position in TRADOC. FUCK LEGLAND-is all I can say about that. Ranger not meant to assimilate, Ranger like da mission, Ranger not wanna follow tubby twenty-year E6, That's the only advice that I could give anyone on this one. Do what you gotta do for yourself, your brothers in arms need you at 100% or not at all. "Be true to yourself and you will never fall"-beastie boys circa 1995 :D
B CO 3/75 96-98

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

rgrpuck wrote:I would have never left If I knew what I know now.
That in a nutshell is the fuckin TRUTH Ranger. Sometimes while you're in you lose perspective on how the other half lives, for some of us it isn't until we get there that we realized that we made a MAJOR FUCKIN MISTAKE.

Warriors who are true belong with fellow Warriors and there ain't no place like a Ranger Home, click your boots three times, slap the shit outta yourself 5 hard times so you's can wake the fuck up and then you'll realize what you must do. :twisted:

Sho fuckin nuff baby 8)
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
kicker
Ranger

would you do It all over again

Post by kicker »

I was in for full load 22,regular,6active reserve.I have been retired almost as long.My responce YES..Not a day goes by I dont meet someone that says sure wish I had stayed in.And I think damm,I really did make a good lifelong decision.Remember we have all been told we will never be able to chew gum and think.That ,now that I reflect is a leg thing.We jusy wipe and recover with good plf,and prepare for lifes next sitrep.Run what you brung in life ,smile and you will be okay.Goog side you aint no dammed mud marine
orignal mem Aug,1970,till departure julber of O 75th Arctic rangers.Made the only mass tatical jump on north pole in mar 4,5,1971.member from start of unit jump school101,506th co D 1957.
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

Spazrack175 wrote:It was real tough getting out I got out with ranger buddy and we moved to Florida lived life and went to school. It helped alot to have someone I could come home from class and discuss how fucking disgusting the civilians were(and how hot all the bitches in class where). I only did my 4 years and many of you have served for much longer, but I could honestly say I was an angry burned out individual, any who served with me will attest. I now live in Washington, I miss batt everyday, I miss my ranger buddies every day. I talk to a ranger nearly ever day, but I have new things to accomplish, Im working to a chem engineering degree, along with trying to do all the things I never could when in. Going to places in the world that arnt covered in sand or mountains and where everyone does not want to kill you. I love my ranger buddies and I miss it the same as everyone else im sure does. My advice, if you should leave make sure you continue to strive to push yourself in one way or another. Dont settle for the standard life, you will get bored and long for battalion. Just continue to set he standard and strive to bring the ranger mentality into everything you choose to do. Getting out for me was the right thing to do. I dont regret it but I do sorely miss it.
P.S. If anyone from 1/75 or regiment for that matter is up in the seattle area and wants grab a beer hit me up.
Spazrack
You need to post an introduction in this forum and get an avatar, as per site SOP. If you manage to get verified as a Ranger quickly, there might be something going on that you'd be interested in.
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic
rangermatt

Post by rangermatt »

Fuck yeah I would. There is not civilian group of people (cops maybe) that you can depend on to anywhere close to the extent that you can your Ranger Brothers.

The day I ETS'd at Ft. Stewart I remember asking the PAC clerk "so am I out of the army?", when she replied "yes", it was the greatest feeling I've ever had up to that point. I'd done my four years as a hooah, and now it was time to go back to the block, meet up with suzy rottencrotch, and live the "great" civilian life.

That was 20 years ago, and I can now say with certainty that I was never so proud to do anything as I was to be one of the chosen few who get to live the dream as a hooah.

Those of you who are in now, you've probably learned by now that you forget the bad shit, and only the good stuff stays with you. That's pretty much what happens.

Oh yeah, take a bunch of pictures. You will want them when you are old and fat like me. :)
Aco 1/75 85-89
Ranger class 8(&9!)-87
Scout Platoon Leader, etc. 1-12 Cav 1CD 94-99

Yes I know my name says "member"
rangermatt

Post by rangermatt »

Oh wait..16 years ago. I suck at math.
Aco 1/75 85-89
Ranger class 8(&9!)-87
Scout Platoon Leader, etc. 1-12 Cav 1CD 94-99

Yes I know my name says "member"
oakmax
Embryo

Post by oakmax »

Rts'd after my dad died, screwed with my head ya know: I would reinlist if I didn't have a family now. Yes he civy poplation is full of slugs/much like legland, I have come to try and surround myself with people who strive/thrive as much as possible.
If you can go back, take what the military offers and surround youself with men who will risk everything for each other.
RLTW
Aco 2/75 91-93 earthpig maggot
Colts and kimbers show to friends glocks are beter suited for enemies.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”