San Antonio, TX

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

Gordo173
Ranger

San Antonio, TX

Post by Gordo173 »

Anybody from the area or with a decent knowledge of the area can you point me in the direction or steer me clear of ther areas in which to live. Am thinking of relocating myself out of LA and into the San Antonio area but want to avoid the troublesome areas. Moving the wife and kid so I must make allowances for their general safety, if it was just me well...... :twisted:
Any help would be appreciated. PM or open forum is good.
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

Ranger Gordo, as far as where to live, the best part of town is the north side, specifically north of Loop 410. For the most part, all the other areas are shit. Right now, SA is expanding at an incredible pace. Before, loop 1604 was generally the outskirts of the city, now it is in fact, inside the city. On the north side, there are many schools opening up and more are in the works as the city expands. The cost of living here is relatively cheap and the housing market continues to boom, although many experts believe that it will begin to wind down in the near future. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.
ArmyParatrooper.org

514th Sig Co. (LRE) '97-'02
AATW!
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

CAL wrote:Ranger Gordo, as far as where to live, the best part of town is the north side, specifically north of Loop 410. For the most part, all the other areas are shit. Right now, SA is expanding at an incredible pace. Before, loop 1604 was generally the outskirts of the city, now it is in fact, inside the city. On the north side, there are many schools opening up and more are in the works as the city expands. The cost of living here is relatively cheap and the housing market continues to boom, although many experts believe that it will begin to wind down in the near future. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have.
Ranger Gordo,

I agree with CAL, with one additional note.

You should focus your housing search to the area that is served by the Northeast School district(NEISD). At this time, NEISD has the most afflluent tax base and that equates to the best funding, student to teacher ratios, computers, extra-curricular activities, and etc.

You'll want to pay particular attention to the high schools that your children will attend. For instance, Roosevelt is infact located in the NEISD and that part of town reminds me of the stuff on the news about NOLA...

Any other questions, or if you want to discuss specifics, feel free to PM me.

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

Good call AP! To expand on the NEISD, they are currently expanding and plan on opening several more schools in the near future. Ranger Gordo, I do not know the ages of your children, so I do not know what level school they would be going to.
ArmyParatrooper.org

AATW!
CAL
Paratrooper

Post by CAL »

Ranger Gordo, any SITREP on your impending move?
ArmyParatrooper.org

AATW!
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

CAL wrote:Ranger Gordo, any SITREP on your impending move?
Roger that sorry it took so long. We ultimately settled in Katy down the road from the Pastor. Relooking the San Antonio option again as Houston is just too damn big! Thanks for all the previous info and if anyone wants to update or add further I appreciate it. Probably looking into moving there no later than June 07. Again thanks guys.
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)

Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

Ranger Gordo173,
I lived in Schertz on the NE side, which is about a 10-15 minute drive from the city on I-35. It is also about 5 miles from I-10. Schertz now has two high schools, having recently opened a new one in the last year or so. It is growing at a very high rate, and is quite the nice town to live in. You are afforded all the advantages of the city, but yet has that small town air to it. Currently, I believe the pop. is around 25-30,000, although it has grown in with Selma, Universal City, and Converse. I would highly recommend it.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Gordo173 wrote:
CAL wrote:Ranger Gordo, any SITREP on your impending move?
Roger that sorry it took so long. We ultimately settled in Katy down the road from the Pastor. Relooking the San Antonio option again as Houston is just too damn big! Thanks for all the previous info and if anyone wants to update or add further I appreciate it. Probably looking into moving there no later than June 07. Again thanks guys.
Well, in size rankings..

1. Houston
2. San Antonio
3. Dallas
4. Austin

As was mentioned, San Antonio is experiencing exponetial growth. All those good Catholics they have there...

I've been pleasantly surprised with Dallas.

Good luck with your decision.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by Gordo173 »

Thanks for the info gents.

Ranger Jurena, that I did not know, very interesting may cause me to reconsider, i will keep you all updated.
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)

Return to “Post Service Issues”