Happy Tet to you OLD Guys

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Spartan

Happy Tet to you OLD Guys

Post by Spartan »

Let's hear it if we can - where were you guys - if you were in country at that time?
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

I'll have to pester my dad some about that, all I ever got from him about it was when he was cussing at a movie that showed the Marines being the first ones back in to Hue city after Tet. Had to listen to him rant how they were there first in their PBR,s in the river that ran through the city. Interesting tidbit is that the PBR guys wore black berets as the headgear also.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

I would like to give thanks to the families of the 246 service men who lost their lives on this day in 68. We will not forget.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Tet '68.....I was at Bragg, just got married, and feeling terrible guilt for having left my Brothers. I knew they were in some shit and I couldn't do anything to help.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Proud Dad - Only 246? For the most powerful and broadest offensive that North Vietnam could throw at us?

Slowpoke - I bet you did feel guilt, but I bet that changed to pride when it came out how well they did on that day? I was only 6 then, so I don't recall what the media published on that day, nor the public mood as a result of that reporting.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

I wasn't in the service yet in Tet 68. I arrived in RVN after Tet 69. I always believed that was the reason I was drafted because of Tet 68. Our government emptied out my neighborhood drafting all our asses. When I arrived in RVN, it was at the height of occupation with 543,000 troops with me. This was just before Vietnamization and U.S. was going full scale.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Spartan wrote:Proud Dad - Only 246? For the most powerful and broadest offensive that North Vietnam could throw at us?

Slowpoke - I bet you did feel guilt, but I bet that changed to pride when it came out how well they did on that day? I was only 6 then, so I don't recall what the media published on that day, nor the public mood as a result of that reporting.
I came within a signature of reenlisting. I'd only been married 30 days, and I was really torn because of the pride I felt and wanting to be with my new wife.
The "media reported" public news mostly dwelt on the Marines and the "poor downtrodden" Vietnamese People having to fight the American War Machine. If it hadn't been for the media, someone might have noticed that we just kicked their ass and should have pressed the attack.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Slowpoke wrote:
The "media reported" public news mostly dwelt on the Marines and the "poor downtrodden" Vietnamese People having to fight the American War Machine. If it hadn't been for the media, someone might have noticed that we just kicked their ass and should have pressed the attack.
Roger that Slowpoke. I remember reading after I got home by some government report that the V.C. were no more an effective fighting force after Tet 68.

Well, that may have been partially true because in the II Corp we mainly had the NVA Regiments to contend with. But the V.C. were always around.
Just my .02
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

Ranger Spartan, I think you are right about the causality count, it is pretty low for everything we have heard about the Tet offense. I am no historian but I remember watching the newscasts at the time and Westmoreland had just made his speach to the American people about the light at the end of the tunnel and now here on the news it was showing the VC had captured the American Embassy in Saigon and fighting in the the streets thruout South Vietnam. I remember in particular the news kept showing the film where the South Vietnamese Colonel executed a VC in the street by shooting him in the head. It was a day that the mainstream news media turned against the war and potrayed the defeat of the Viet cong over the next several days as if it were America that had been defeated.
Cat

Post by Cat »

The numbers that I found were:
US KIA 1,100
US and ARVN KIA 3,900
proud dad
Tadpole

Post by proud dad »

The number of KIA's for the single day of Jan. 31st was listed at 246 at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - The Virtual wall. Today is is showing that 130 US Service Men were killed on this date in 1968. www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionD=2
I believe the number you gave are the total for the whole Tet offense maybe.
Cat

Post by Cat »

proud dad wrote:The number of KIA's for the single day of Jan. 31st was listed at 246 at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund - The Virtual wall. Today is is showing that 130 US Service Men were killed on this date in 1968. www.vvmf.org/index.cfm?SectionD=2
I believe the number you gave are the total for the whole Tet offense maybe.
Thanks proud dad this wouldn't be the first time that I had a different understanding or definition of things on this site :? .
You are right I was looking at the entire Tet Offensive 29 Jan -31 Jan 1968. The Vietnamese in the North celebrated the holiday on the 29th whereas the South Vietnamese celebrated a day later. The attacks started on different dates depending on geography. Thanks for making me take a look at my info.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”