Lion Hunt

Hand to Hand, Combative Skills, etc...
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Sorry if I mislead you. Although I was in field same night Johnson was taken by tiger, I was on another team far away from incident. We were notified by radio of incident. Yes, it did give us all the jitters. if you go to our site: http://www.4thdivrangers.com and go to 1st brigade, then click blue "old 1st Brigade site" Then 1st Brigade pictures. I believe Larry Flanagan posted pic of a tiger he shot. I met Larry in '99 at a friends appt in Queens, NY. It was the first time my friend Matty and his team mates got together since RVN and it was fantastic being there. Even tho these guys were not my mates. I was happy for them all. lol
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

RVN was supposed to be the best tiger hunting in the world, but I only got see one. We were laying in ambush watching a trail with my Ranger Buddy and I on the left, about 3 feet off the trail. The brush on the other side of the trail moved, about 10 feet away, and a tiger poked his head out, looking at me. Butch (my partner) heard my selector switch come off safety and whispered "What?" I whispered back "Tiger." He whispers "Shoot him" and I respond with "Fuck you". While all of this was going on the tiger is just looking at me and sniffing the air. I was starting to calm down and saw that the tiger was skinny, old, beat up, and looked like he was toothless. He looked around a little, sniffed some more, and then moved off in the direction he came from. Later, at the debreifing, I mentioned the tiger, and my Team Leader says"Yeah, I thought for a minute, you were going to shoot him. If you had I'd have killed you for compromising our position." Well, that's MY tiger story.

P.S.
I don't THINK my TL would have really killed me, but with him, you never could be sure. None of us ever wanted to find out for sure.
Last edited by Slowpoke on January 5th, 2004, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Tool175

Post by Tool175 »

I was personally rooting for the lion. My old man bagged a tiger in vietnam also. Are there any 2nd Bn Rangers that remember a Reserve Lt.Col that gave them some game he shot in somalia back in the early 80's, it was my old man, 2nd Batt had a big end of deployment cookout.
The Tool
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

goddamn coldnuts you had to mention snakes, I just had the flashback of someone we all know bent over a trail look at sign with the snake 12" away. I can still hear the yell!! AAAAAAYYYYYYIEEEEEEEEEMMMMUUUUUUUTTTTTTTHARRRFFFFFFUCKEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Thanks for sharing your creature features with me gents. I do have one more to add on tigers. We split up our team. TL and one other went out to recon general area. I stayed behind with our 4th. We always carried two radios. TL is gone for good 45 minutes and silence is broken by one weapon being fired on full automatic. Then silence. No yelling, no voices. I held handset of PRC-25 waiting to hear anything at all. Then I hear Indian voice, name Ira (yep our own Navajo Indian teammate.) Ti- ti- ti- ti-tigr-tiger!. Radio goes silent again. No other communication comes. I wait 20 minutes and hear click of radio two times. Follow by "coming in". Here comes TL and Ira. They come back in our little perimeter and Ira has this big shit eating grin on his face and the tigers tail in his non weapon hand. Turns out Both men spotted tiger as tiger spotted them. Tiger immediately went into charge and Ira emptied Car-15 into tiger front chest. TL's weapon jammed. Lousey time for a jam wouldn't you say. I watched Ira Skin Tigers tail. First time this kid from Brooklyn ever saw anything skinned much less a tigers tail. Next day we returned to tigers remains and I hacked off it's left front paw to take a tiger claw as a souvineer. I put my middle finger next to the tigers claw and my finger was dwarfed next to it. I always remember how big and beautiful The tiger was. Although we requested to be withdrawn from AO because of (sic our own)weapons fire. We were denied permission and moved to far side of AO and continued mission to completion. Remainer of mission uneventful.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
number77
Embryo

Post by number77 »

thats a cool story, did the dude go for a sidearm after his jammed? anyways i know this isn't as relevant but here is a funny video of some pros big game hunting.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/lionhunt.html

Return to “Close Combat”