Sling made by Ranger, for Rangers!

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Head175
Ranger

Sling made by Ranger, for Rangers!

Post by Head175 »

This is a reply I made to another section on slings:

The term "single point" sling is a trademark of the highest quality sling maker in the world, the wilderness. It is their trademark because they INVENTED the single point sling. GG&G is allowed to use the term single point because the wilderness contacted them to create the adapter plates. Anybody else who uses the term single point, or for that matter makes a single point sling is copying the wilderness. Go with the original!

The wilderness also made the original rescue/rappel belt. They call it the instructor belt because the owner used to teach mountain rescue and wanted something to wear in the tower other than a harness all day just to leash himself in. The Instructor Belt was born and all of the copying by every other company is history!

I have an amazing solution to MANY sling problems. I have created an adapter that allows you to attach your weapon in a single point fashion to your RBA without having to modify your weapon or route the sling up and around your nods when you are trying to get off a bird (it allows you to carry it muzzle down while seated), it doesn't interfere with your acces to you magazine pouches (as a normal sling does, by getting tangled or by covering them), it can be chow slung, it doesn't slip of your RBA shoulder and dig into your neck, it allows you to fire your weapon from your off-hand side without taking off the sling, it doesn't get in the way if you need to drop your RBA for medical reasons, easy to fast rope without your weapon swinging around in front of you, it is completely universal! (if your weapon is damaged/ goes down, it can be quickly released and another weapon attached right away!, it can be attached in a vehicle and pointed outboard no matter which side you are sitting on! Need any more benifits? It is the perfect system for Rangers!

The best part, it is Ranger proof! Very simple in design, NO moving parts!

You can train with your weapon in your PT shirt if you want to do tape drills, and then snap it right on to your RBA for QRF!

The Wilderness is going to start carrying it any day now, contact me or them to show your interest! It is called the W.A.S.P. (wilderness attachment, single point)

We will have pictures of it soon.
RLTW
1/75 Ranger Batt. 4/99-3/03 Class 07-00
Bco. 1st. Plt &
Sniper Plt.
SOTIC
French Mtn Warfare School
EMT-I

MOLON LABE!
fireranger
Ranger

Post by fireranger »

The Wilderness rocks! Me and a bunch of guys on my FD technical rescue team use and swear by the Instructor belt.
3 rd. Plt. C Co. 2/75 1993-1997, RS 10-94 (Navigators)

But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
Head175
Ranger

Post by Head175 »

The WASP is finally available! Tell me what you all think, there are plenty of benifits listed on the website, but remember, my favorite is that if you dont want to use it, you don't have to! Your weapon can be in your mits where it belongs, or it can be tethered for transitions to your side arm!
RLTW
Bco. 1st. Plt &
Sniper Plt.
SOTIC
EMT-I

MOLON LABE!
Head175
Ranger

Post by Head175 »

OK, 273 views and 1 response? I am seriously asking for your opinion! If you like it, why? If you hate it, why? If you want one, let me know! I'll see what I can do for some ranger specials! Use the link in my signature to check it out.
RLTW
Bco. 1st. Plt &
Sniper Plt.
SOTIC
EMT-I

MOLON LABE!
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Use a real sling. They're 100% reliable, don't cost anything, and you don't have to train on how to use yer damn sling. You just keep your weapon in your fookin mitts when you're out the gate...
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Although I cannot provide a pic I also used a sling on my M-16. I took it off its normal sling hooks - both on the underside; one on the stock and the other just under and near the sights. I taped these bracket to avoid noise and just looped the sling around the base of the stock and just in front of the handle. This permitted me to free my left hand to move aside heavy vegetation while still having my weapon aimed ahead of me with my right hand where it needed to be while looking around for Nathaniel Victor Alpha.

BTW, we never walked trails and being in the open was a rarity unlike you guys today.

RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Desert Sloth wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock:

pssssssssssssssssst

if your gona do little black squares, dont name the Jpeg after the guys in it :shock:

edited to say at least sloth must be in charge, he is the only one without knee pads :D
Last edited by Horned Toad on August 20th, 2005, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Head175
Ranger

Post by Head175 »

Feedback!!!! Thank you to all who replied! This really is starting to help me out.

Question for all the old schoolers... Didn't your sling get caught or tangled on stuff when you didn't want it to? In the pictures it looks like it may have blocked access to your equipment if it was pulled tight. What did you do if you had to look around your corner with your off-hand....did you have to choke yourself with your sling, or did you expose your body? If in a vehicle did you have to un-sling your weapon to have it face outboard on your weak side?

B 2/75, good point! I agree that it should be kept simple and that your hands should be on your weapon and not operating some new fangled toy of a sling that some closet commando dreamed up. But, If your weapon is in your mitts all of the time, this little device will stay out of the way much better than a sling around your neck. I would like to send you one, my expense, so you can at least check it out. If you still dont like it, no problem, give it to somebody who does...but if you do like it, I feel that you will have a superior weapon retention system since it allows total movement of your weapon and doesn't get in the way of critical pouches or weapon operation. PM me your address and I will send you one.

DS, I do agree, single points can flail around too much sometimes. It can be difficult not to hit yourself in the nuts when you are transitioning. But I wanted this after seeing Rangers have an M-4 attached to their RBA with a snap-link on one shoulder and a shotgun attached the same way on the other for breaching. Once we couldn't use snaplinks anymore after an airborne accident, you couldn't replicate the ease of breaching and then flowing into a room without a criss cross of slings around your neck.

SF, good idea! Sounds like it worked well. I have something like that if you or anybody else is interested in having another set-up like that.
RLTW
Bco. 1st. Plt &
Sniper Plt.
SOTIC
EMT-I

MOLON LABE!
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Well since you said older, and I really haven’t needed a sling much since I got out, I just had a long sling that went over the left shoulder and under the left arm. If I needed gear and dropped the rifle it fell under my left arm. That was pretty much in a patrolling in the woods environment. The few times I need a sling these days its still a patrolling type situation and I use the same set up. The only thing that would have been nice is a way to take up the slack when not using the sling. I saw some homemade options before but never liked them enough to cook one up.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Slings? How high tech and sexy can a sling be? the black one works fine and is replaced free of charge by the Army.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I carried the M60 when I was in Batt. At that time at least, it was totally against Batt SOP to use a sling at all (at least for the Pig). Me? I don need no steenking sling! :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

EarthPig wrote:I carried the M60 when I was in Batt. At that time at least, it was totally against Batt SOP to use a sling at all (at least for the Pig). Me? I don need no steenking sling! :lol:
RLTW
EP
That's the spirit! Fucking Old School anti-combat bling. You could spend years trying to figure out what all those gadgets are!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Personal Gear”