Should a New 5.56mm Load be developed for the M4 ? Part II

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Should a New 5.56mm Load be developed for the M4 ? Part II

Post by Flesh Thorn »

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/bullets/ This what I was talking about. Lets make the 5.56mm round more efficent.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

H&K already broke ground at Benning and you can bet all of last year's paycheck's that it's not just Special Operations that will get the XM-8 rifle. The M4 will be history very shortly.

I suppose it does not matter what weapon is used, so long as the new one has capabilities and performace characteristics greater than the one replaced, but whatever it is, they ought to be shooting the frangible blended metal ammo when they go to war.
Ando

Um...

Post by Ando »

Have any of you guys got any experience with the Diemaco weapons systems the canadians use? They were standard issue in 21, along with a mix of M16A2s and some other kit.
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

In the most recent issue of Front Sight (the US Practical Shooting Association's magazine) there is a good article on performance of various 5.56mm/.223 loads for Practical Rifle/3 Gun competition with performance listed by barrel length.

If you are interested, let me know and I can scan the chart.

In the same issue, there is a mention of HK's operating rod upper for the M16/AR-15 family that does away with the gas tube.

I've just added a set of .223 dies for my Dillon press and am going to do some load development with 52gr, 55gr, and 69gr HPBT match bullets. I need to get out to the range and shoot the Bushmaster some this spring.
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

I've been reading about the 6.8SPC uppers for the M16/AR-15 series. Here is a pretty good link about 6.8SPC:

http://www.demigod.org/~zak/firearms/6.8SPC/faq.php
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Ando

Post by Ando »

My experience with the Colt Weapon systems is limited. We used the M16a1 and a2 during selection, to learn the drills etc. But when i got to my team we were issued with Diemaco's. We use them because they retain the fully automatic function, which we use to great effect during contact drills. Something i think the Regiment learned from the Aussies...heh heh
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I'm a fan of the .223, but I also anxiously await the 6.8mm.....FYI, while I don't doubt the capabilities of Blended metal ammo, some questions have been raised by folks in the know about the ass shot incident.
Ando

Post by Ando »

Do any of you have experience with the 5.56 "green dot", at least i think it's green dot. SLAP round, armor piercing i think. Been told about it, but i only ever got ball, tracer and some other shit.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Ando wrote:Do any of you have experience with the 5.56 "green dot", at least i think it's green dot. SLAP round, armor piercing i think. Been told about it, but i only ever got ball, tracer and some other shit.
Green tip bro, our 62 grain steel penetrator....supposed to be AP...........

M855 or SS109......

Joe, I have seen that Cd too....I have some of the BMT bullets, they are the shit....PM inbound...

Return to “Weapons of War”