Somalia questions

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Rangeratlarge
Ranger

Post by Rangeratlarge »

EarthPig wrote:Apparently, we're priming the pump in that region again. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050505/wl_ ... a_usa_dc_1
"U.S. Marines landed on Somalia's coast in one of their most visible hunts for militants in the country since they set up a Horn of Africa counter terrorism force in 2002, Somali officials said on Thursday."
RLTW
EP
The only good Sammy is a dead Sammy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Class 8-89
1/75 (x2)
3/75
4th RTB
10th LRSD (x2)
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

There's more of 'em and we got more bullets!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RetPara
Ranger

Post by RetPara »

Point of Order.

a. There's never been any hard, this guy trained them, ID of Taliban or AQ involvement in Somalia. THAT being said... the Muj were not a homogeiouis group. Basically all the Islamic countries ENCOURAGED their radical Muslims to go to A'stan and wage Jihad. Also they would hopefully die in the efforts and not cause more trouble at home. Unfortunately (?) some did survive the war and took home their 'skills'. Also Uncle Usama sent out 'missionaries', kind of like LDS missionaries on recruiting missions through out the Mid East. Then you have to consider the 'fellow traveler' scenario passing along knowledge. So the connections are somewhat tennuous... but not too much of a strethch.

b. Mythical Marines from StrategyPage.com
In late April, small groups of U.S. Marines landed on the coast of Djibouti. The locals talked about it, and as the talk went down the coast into Somaliland (a breakaway part of Somalia), the story morphed into marines landing on the coast of Somalia, looking for Islamic terrorists. The marine commander in the area explained all that to the media, before the rumors mutated into even stranger stories.
haz-mat
Ranger

Post by haz-mat »

I kinda hate to admit this, but I used to work at a trucking company (in Safety and training dept.). We had a Sammy come in for orientation, and I fired him. Said it was for some bullshit excuse, but was really just because...Noone really questioned it (since I normally fired 10 to 20 people a week anyway).
"Here dead lie we, because we did not choose
To live and shame the land from which we sprung..." --A. E. Housman

3/75 92-95; Charlie Rock
Ranger school class 9-93

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”