Kit for Contracting

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

Some of us got hair cuts, some of us didn't until we got back home. Actually, all joking aside, Our BC at the time encouraged us to pay attention to our big brothers in the next tent, and pick up on the way they were doing things. After all, it was combat and we were learning and setting a precedent for all the other rangers who would eventually come down the pipe. Some good ideas that are SOP now came out of that deployment. Unfortunately alot of us got slammed by the "command element" when we got home, causing alot of great rangers to leave battalion with a bad taste in our collective mouth. Alot of rules were broken. Even our 1sg had some freakin' elvis chops and a pompadour. Yeah, we got in trouble when we got back and there was a change of command. Suddenly we had a Tanker and a Leg in our command spots, and 1st platoon got torn apart. It was for the better, now the boys have some good gear that works well, they get to grow their hair out, and they get to wear some quality boots. Some of us paid for it in pushups, and some of us lost leadership positions in battalion because of these choices.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Rich275UD wrote:Gents,
Some clarification is needed. TT never stole the RACK idea from Bn. A chest rig with sewn on pockets was brought to TT BY someone from Bn who asked if he could make up some more of them. (I do not know who made the original one.)
TT made a rifleman and medic version, sold many to the boys, and was told by Bn that they would be ordering more, a lot more. The actual contract for the RACK went to a company called SDS. Even so, TT has continued to support 2/75 and the rest of the Regiment by making whatever they needed, including over 1300 M4 slings and a special subload for flashbangs for 3/75 and numerous other items.
How do I know this? Because I have been friends with Logan since he was still in the Army. I have acted as an "advisor" and have had a hand in designing other items. He is a stand up guy, even for a leg!

I do know the Ranger is who originally came up with the original RACK. He was my PSG (will not name name's on an open forum, but will gladly answer it in a PM) and he got the Order of St. Maurice for that and other exceptional achievements in the Infantry. Tactical Tailor was brought one of the RACKs and asked if he could make improvements to it. This is when he had his shop in Tillicum, right outside the Tillicum gate. Then he sewed up a whole bunch and sold them on his own. About two years later is when they became the MOLLE RACK thru SDS. They weren't called RACKs then, just TA-50 or a chest harness.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Tupac

Post by Tupac »

Oh man, the brits. I think I definitely remember talking to you or another NCO that had been in battalion and at RTB while I was at the gate a couple of times. You knew some of the NCO's in our platoon, if I'm not mistaken. Small world after all.
Rich275
Ranger

Post by Rich275 »

Hi Brother,
I have no dispute with who designed the Bn chest harness or when it became MOLLE, just trying to set the record straight about Logan making and selling them.
Here's how I know what I know.
I met him when he was still in the Army. I helped him move out of the barracks into his first house/shop and I either designed or helped design many of his base line items. (FYI, the house was off Gravelly Lake Dr., not Tillicum)
The chest harness was brought to him to see if he could produce them in mass and make improvements. The guys bought them as fast as he could produce them and nobody, including your PSG, seemed to have a problem with him doing so. (that's called good business, not stealing.)
I spent a lot of time with Logan, either designing or sometimes selling, and was at the shop several times a week so I saw things on daily basis.
I saw the original harness that was brought in and saw the ones Logan made, both in the shop and being worn by the Hooahs.
I am fiercely loyal to Logan and his business as I have had a hand in developing it and watching it grow. He is a businessman who produced something that was asked of him and he was able to make a profit without any objections to it at the time.
To bitch about something from over 7 years ago is a little bit silly, especially when Logan has been pretty damn good at making what the guys need and giving them priority.
Bco 2/75 88-91, RS class 13-89, Panama Vet.

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.Rich275DESIGNS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Shit, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to come off all pissy. It was not meant to be a bitchy post Rich. I was just trying to point out that I did in fact know who designed the first rigs in Batt. Either way, Tactical Tailors rigs were better than the ones we came up with. They had wider shoulder straps and he added quick release buckles to the straps. Anyway, it's cool. Nothing worth arguing over that happened a million years ago. :lol:
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “Personal Gear”