Newts - Efforts to Join the Army/Rangers and Workout Plans

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
kclemens
Tadpole

Post by kclemens »

Because of my younger age (14), I wasn't sure if this was a program I should be doing. I've heard that it's not good to lift weights and do the more rougher workouts because it could stunt my growth.
Nived I lifted weights ever since 6th grade and I was 13 then, and I am 5'10" and it did not stunt my growth. I am not sure if that is true, but the weight trainer didnt say anything about it.
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I have no fear because I am the meanest motherfucker in the whole valley."
-GEN. George S. Patton
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

kclemens

PM inbound.

~Joseph
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

McKenzie wrote:I workout everyday doing various very hard excersises such as the deadlift. I use a lot of weight but low reps

I would suggest a lower weight and much, much higher reps.....big, big muscles need food that you will not find in the field or Ranger School. :shock: Think "Longevity" Bro' :wink:
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Jacked87
Tadpole

Post by Jacked87 »

Ranger Spartan,

I am a NEWT who plans to join up next summer (06/2006) after graduating from college. I have taken the asvab, actually i have taken it twice. Once in high school when the Army came to the school; and once last school year at the local MEPS when I went in to talk to a recruiter. Back then I did not know squat about the contract system. If you had asked me what an option 40 was, i would have had no clue. After finding this site I now know what to ask for and not to sign anything until I get that option 40.

This summer I am working construction with for my uncle. Its full time, so i am getting in good shape just from that, but as of now i take a mock APFT every weekend. Situps are my weakest of the three (pu/su/run) so i work on situps everynight. I do pushups everyother day. I run once a week, and then once on the weekend for the mock test. I know that is crapy workout schedule, but while im doing construction i feel i am improving my physicall condition, i fly back to school in 3 weeks, at what time my roomate and i will be adopting a more rigouros workout schedule. At school we have acces to a full gym so that will help, also my apartment complex has a pool, so i will working up to being able to swim a mile, which will be hard, but if it was easy, everyone would do it. I have also signed up for the ROTC PT class. Which is mon/wen/fri mornings from 6-7:30am so im sure i will be smoked during those PT sessions.
Buck27
Ranger

Post by Buck27 »

Ranger Spartan,

1. I also am waiting to graduate college and i have contacted a recruiter in the OSU area, but cannot proceed with the process because I dont want to sign anything until 2006.

2. My current workout routine is carried over from my high school cross country and wrestling programs. I run at least 30 minutes 3 days a week and I work out 3 times a week also. In the last month I have shifted my workouts from the weight room to body weight excercises like push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and anything else i can come up with to hit all of the muscle groups. So far i have not noticed a gain or loss in muscle, but my push ups are improving slightly. The switch to pt style workouts is with hopes that it will help me when I enlist. I am open to any criticism or improvements you Rangers can think of.
Thank you in advance, Buck27
sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you
madslashers1-2
Ranger

variance

Post by madslashers1-2 »

Make sure you mix it up with your run scheduel, do a LSD once a week (Long slow distance) no shorter than 6 miles, but definitely no slower than an 8 min pace, then do sprints, 1 minute medium pace, and then 1 minute sprints, try to get up to 8, with a 1 mile warm up and cool down, and of course, always make sure you run a fast four miler for good measure ensuring that your first 2 miles is under 13:30, should be a snap for someone dedicated.
1st Plt, C Co. 2/75, OCT 02/JUN 06, (RS 09-04)
160th LRS-D, JUN 06/SEP 08
1106th TASMG, SEP 08/MAY 10
Joined the Darkside
A Co. 1/185 AR, MAY 10/Present
Buck27
Ranger

Post by Buck27 »

Thank you for the ideas Ranger madslashers1-2. I will add more lsd miles and speed workouts to my routine. I appreciate the advice.
Buck27
sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

XCRunner,

If you can run in the PacNW, you can run anywhere. Your run time is fine, it will make that part of being in Battalion less painful than for all the poor bastards who cannot run. What you need to focus on is your upper body strength. Do pull-ups, elevated pushups (those will be the only ones you do until you get your Tab) and a ton of flutterkicks.
joeviper
Embryo

Post by joeviper »

Ranger Spartan, I scored a 54 on my ASVAB and have already completed MEPS and my contract, I got a 11x OP40

I run 2-4 miles every day, I was doing just pushups and situps but recently changed my routine, When i was browsing the site i found a fellow DEPs program

20 crunches
10 normal pushups
15 count flutter-kicks
10 wide-arm pushups
15 count bicycles
10 triangle pushups

I do 5-10 of those on my days off of running. I ship Sept. 7th .
Jcross
Egg

Post by Jcross »

I want to become a Ranger. I took the ASVABs and have all my medical work done. I have an Army ROTC scholarship and I will attend college this fall. I have wanted to become a Ranger for as long as I can remember.

I run long distance for track and I am on the cross country team for my high school. I also have Tae Kwon Do 3 nights a week. I also lift weights 4-5 times a week. I am 6'1" and 150 pounds, it's almost impossible to gain or lose weight with the amount of running I do.

I know I still have a long time before I can fulfill my dream, but my oldest brother always gives me motivation to keep up my hard work. He has been in the Army since he was 18 and he is 30 now. He just recently returned from Iraq and he said that he'll give me a lot of help and advice before I start my career in the Army. I would still like advice from others though, as my brother believes his opinions are the only correct ones and the information and tips he gives me do not always appear to be the right ones for me.
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Jcross wrote:I want to become a Ranger. I took the ASVABs and have all my medical work done. I have an Army ROTC scholarship and I will attend college this fall. I have wanted to become a Ranger for as long as I can remember.

I run long distance for track and I am on the cross country team for my high school. I also have Tae Kwon Do 3 nights a week. I also lift weights 4-5 times a week. I am 6'1" and 150 pounds, it's almost impossible to gain or lose weight with the amount of running I do.

I know I still have a long time before I can fulfill my dream, but my oldest brother always gives me motivation to keep up my hard work. He has been in the Army since he was 18 and he is 30 now. He just recently returned from Iraq and he said that he'll give me a lot of help and advice before I start my career in the Army. I would still like advice from others though, as my brother believes his opinions are the only correct ones and the information and tips he gives me do not always appear to be the right ones for me.

Please read the FAQ's and post an Introduction in the appropriate forum so we all know who we are speaking to..........after that read,read,read....it's all to be found here on armyranger.com...and good luck.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
Vee
Ranger

Post by Vee »

Hmmmmmmmm.

You Agree that your first post on this forum will consist of an introduction into the appropriate location.

If you are a Civilian, on Delayed Entry, etc... you agree to read and abide by this FAQ.
RSD 96-99

Return to “About Army Physical Training”