Intro: Jimming

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro: Jimming

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote:Roger that Bigglestheman. Your comment has motivated me to create a journal of all of the advice that I collect on this forum and from other sources. I regret not starting it sooner.
If you are in Ranger Lefty's area, you and your family need to visit him, rather than starting a journal.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Jim wrote: If you are in Ranger Lefty's area, you and your family need to visit him, rather than starting a journal.
We are busy these days, especially with hunting season, but we will make time with sufficient notice.

It should be noted that it is one thing to post about accomplishments, e.g. memorizing the Creed, but it is another when being tested in person. There is ample territory here for work on land navigation. Although many things have changed over the years since Jim and I were in active service, some things remain the same.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim.

Ranger Lefty, it would be an extremely educational and useful experience if I were to come and learn from you. My parents are becoming less and less supportive right now though, so I doubt that they would allow me to go anywhere. I will talk to them, but right now my main concentration is doing well on the ASVAB and getting my contract. I am extremely grateful for the chance to learn from a Ranger (or Ranger Advisor in this case), and hopefully I won't miss the opportunity.
11X
SHIP DATE: 20150728
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote:Roger Ranger Jim.

Ranger Lefty, it would be an extremely educational and useful experience if I were to come and learn from you. My parents are becoming less and less supportive right now though, so I doubt that they would allow me to go anywhere. I will talk to them, but right now my main concentration is doing well on the ASVAB and getting my contract. I am extremely grateful for the chance to learn from a Ranger (or Ranger Advisor in this case), and hopefully I won't miss the opportunity.
You and your family should visit Ranger Lefty. It will make your family more comfortable with your decision. BTW, Ranger Lefty and his family is coming to visit me, shortly. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim. I have thought about this since Ranger Lefty's post. I am going to bring this up to my parents.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote:Roger Ranger Jim. I have thought about this since Ranger Lefty's post. I am going to bring this up to my parents.
Prudent move.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Rangers, I apologize for the late PT update. Pushing out 50 now.

Pushups - 95 (2 minutes)
Pullups - 20
Situps - 87 (2 minutes)
2 mile run - 13:19

My parents and I are still having frequent discussions about whether or not I will be allowed to visit a mentor. School has been a pretty big distraction lately, however I haven't let it get in the way of my PT. My core strength and leg strength is improving very rapidly, and my cardio is slowly getting better. My 1 mile run time is at ~6:00, and that's when I start to slow down.

I will keep you updated.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jimming wrote:My parents and I are still having frequent discussions about whether or not I will be allowed to visit a mentor.
Ranger Lefty's invitation was for you and your parents to visit him. Should you and your parents wish to visit Washington, DC, I'll welcome you. Although, I can't offer tactical training. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Jim.
11X
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Rangers,

I apologize for not posting an update last month, no excuse, pushing out 50 now and 250 extra tomorrow during my workout.

Happy new year! A lot has happened in the last couple of months. I did not mention in my previous update that in late October/early November I got to meet a Ranger (will not post his name). He is currently one of the commanding officers at a Chicago ROTC program, and my dad and I went in to speak with him. Right off the bat, he told me that he didn't think I would make it. Over the course of our discussion, he essentially outlined a few reasons as to why he didn't think I would make it; I wasn't training hard enough, I wasn't involved in team sports, and I wasn't completely dedicated to training to be a Ranger. I wanted to prove him wrong, so that's what I've been working on.

Soon after meeting him, I contacted the football coach at my school and I am now in the football off-season. Every Tuesday and Thursday (and sometimes Wednesday), I get up at 5:30 in the morning, go to school, and do the off-season workouts with the team until 7, and then proceed with the day. It is almost entirely cardio based, and has been helping me improve my cardio vastly. I will be doing these workouts up until the end of the football season in late 2014.

Alongside joining the football off-season, I have added a lot to my training routine. I now ruck every other day with a 50 lb pack. I started on new years, and will be working my way up to 12+ miles by the week. Last week I was doing 4 miles each day, this week I am doing 6 miles, etc.. My current goal with rucking is to strengthen my feet and build calluses. Right now I am moving at 4 mph, and hope to improve that as time goes on.

My general workout routine has also changed as of new years. I am no longer concentrating as much on heavy weightlifting, rather, I want to work on muscular endurance to boost my PT scores. I now begin each workout with a 1-2 mile run. Every workout is as intense as I am able to make it. Each day alternates with different workouts that will improve muscular endurance in different areas of the body. I then end the workout with a 1-2 mile run and core strengthening exercises.

I have memorized the Ranger Creed and am currently memorizing the Soldier's Creed. I will be looking around the website for other Ranger's/mentee's posts about what I should be learning.

In regards to being signed into the DEP this April or May, I am fairly confident that my parents will not be willing to sign for me. I had another discussion with them about it the other day and they said they do not want to sign it, but they are currently in the process of talking to each other about it. I would prefer if they would sign me into the DEP, and will continue to discuss it with them, however if they still refuse, I am comfortable with signing my contract in November of this year. I am still studying for the ASVAB, and I am confident in my ability to get a high score on all aspects of the test. I will be in touch with my recruiter about taking it in the near future.

Additionally, I talked to them about the possibility of going to meet with Ranger Lefty or Ranger Jim, and they immediately said no, with no questions asked. I am beyond disappointed that I will not be able to be mentored by two people who have been offering my help/advice throughout my time on this site. There are other alternatives for me, however. Being a member of the Sea Cadets, I am able to attend several different trainings that are run by former SEALs, Rangers, and Special Forces members, and will talk to the LPO about them at the next drill. One of the COs at my division is also a former SEAL who is currently working with NSW, and I am able to meet with and talk to him. I will continue to look for other learning opportunities.

I will post a PT score update within the next 72 hours.

-Jamie
11X
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I have a feeling that the Ranger you met was telling you that you wouldn't make it just to get your hackles up, to see how it would motivate you...and was he talking about RASP or Ranger school? ( not that it matters..)

For what it's worth, the main way team sports will help is with conditioning, but by no means is it absolutely necessary.

Once you get it in your head that it is entirely possible, and completely within your grasp, you will have all you need to make it.

Even if you can't meet any of the members here personally, you can still gain by their mentorship online.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

I detest team sports. Always have. Whether you win "The BIG GAME" or not means shit in the real world.

I am fully capable of integrating into a small or large group with a common mission in the real world and I never played football etc.

Was this Ranger you spoke to a graduate of West Point?

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

If your parents ever change their minds, the initial offer stands.

Once you enlist, you can be mentored online, just as Sleepy Doc stated.

If I choose to mentor someone, it is to see if they not only talk the talk, but can begin to walk the walk.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jimming
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Jimming »

Roger Ranger Sleepy Doc. After my meeting with him, I figured that it was more of a mind game rather than actually telling me that I won't make it. Regardless of whether or not it was a mind game I aim to prove him wrong. I also look forward to being mentored by the Rangers and other veterans on this website.

Roger Ranger rangertough. I am not much of a fan of team sports either, however I would like to continue with the training because it is really helping me improve my endurance. I do not recall where the Ranger had gone to college. If you would like, I can message you his name and ROTC unit.

Roger Ranger Lefty. I will keep you posted on my efforts to enlist. As I stated earlier in this post, I look forward to being mentored by the Rangers and veterans on this site. I hope that you choose to mentor me as well, and I will prove to you that I am worth your time.
11X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

OK, so now you are 17. What are you going to do?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”