Surviving the Cut

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

The Holmchicken
Ranger

Re: Surviving the Cut

Post by The Holmchicken »

goon175 wrote:I watched the combat diver episode last night, was suprised to see one of my old squad leaders on there. I am also kind of suprised at the lack of PERSEC on these shows. I mean, its one thing to show a bunch of guys trying to make it through a selection school, but combat diver is not that.
They showed one hour of a six week course. I knew a lot of the guys on the show, including a few in my company. No one from the units in the program does anything so high speed that they need to fuzz out peoples faces and names.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

The Holmchicken wrote:
goon175 wrote:I watched the combat diver episode last night, was suprised to see one of my old squad leaders on there. I am also kind of suprised at the lack of PERSEC on these shows. I mean, its one thing to show a bunch of guys trying to make it through a selection school, but combat diver is not that.
They showed one hour of a six week course. I knew a lot of the guys on the show, including a few in my company. No one from the units in the program does anything so high speed that they need to fuzz out peoples faces and names.
beat me to it. the one Ranger shown, a SGT from RTB. probably works in the boat shop/Merrill's and never served in Regt, is my guess. is he a stud? sure, he wouldn't be there otherwise. all the SF guys were listed as just SF. I'm thinking that any really cool guys simply weren't put on the show at all, vs black facing them.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
DangerClose
Ranger

Post by DangerClose »

I think that one quick blurb from that stud said it best.... "I feel like a piece of used toilet paper" or something to that end... classic.
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

KW Driver wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:
beat me to it. the one Ranger shown, a SGT from RTB. probably works in the boat shop/Merrill's and never served in Regt, is my guess. is he a stud? sure, he wouldn't be there otherwise. all the SF guys were listed as just SF. I'm thinking that any really cool guys simply weren't put on the show at all, vs black facing them.
That guy was previously A Co. 3/75, or atleast thats what my roommate has told me. went through RS with him, came back and got into some kind of trouble
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

So I thought the best episode was on USAF PJ's- but that's just me.... :lol:
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

C-MAC wrote:So I thought the best episode was on USAF PJ's- but that's just me.... :lol:
Say it isn't so...The air force has two jobs: You are Flying planes or washing planes!
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Silverback wrote:
C-MAC wrote:So I thought the best episode was on USAF PJ's- but that's just me.... :lol:
Say it isn't so...The air force has two jobs: You are Flying planes or washing planes!
Apparently there is another one. That would be rescuing downed USAF Airman, other pilots and anyone else that has suddenly found themselves on the ground- when they should be in the air :roll:
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

C-MAC wrote:Apparently there is another one. That would be rescuing downed USAF Airman, other pilots and anyone else that has suddenly found themselves on the ground- when they should be in the air :roll:
Nah...those guys are Ranger through and through, they just wear an Airforce Uniform
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

Silverback wrote:
C-MAC wrote:Apparently there is another one. That would be rescuing downed USAF Airman, other pilots and anyone else that has suddenly found themselves on the ground- when they should be in the air :roll:
Nah...those guys are Ranger through and through, they just wear an Airforce Uniform
My son is one of them.
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

merlyn wrote:
Silverback wrote:
My son is one of them.
Two words for your son. Thank you!
Ranger KW Driver
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

From all I've heard from people on instructors being tough as shit and trying to get people to drop out I have to say I was surprised. Everything I saw was love and care. I'm not saying that there was mommying, but if someone wanted to be there and gave %100 the cadre from any of the courses were there to help you and motivate you to finish. Maybe that was just me though.
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

yeah, I don't remember the Ranger Instructors being that loving and motivating. they used a different motivation level, with similar techniques. didn't feel like love at the time.

I think the shows were probably "niced" up as free recruting videos.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

I should have figured as much.
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Shock wrote:From all I've heard from people on instructors being tough as shit and trying to get people to drop out I have to say I was surprised. Everything I saw was love and care. I'm not saying that there was mommying, but if someone wanted to be there and gave %100 the cadre from any of the courses were there to help you and motivate you to finish. Maybe that was just me though.
It was a TV show...everyone involved probably had a thorough counseling session by at least the Brigade Commander and probably the post commander.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

see my above post.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”