Introduction - Jeff

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

jj5
Embryo

Re: Introduction - Jeff

Post by jj5 »

Jim wrote: April 24th, 2017, 12:13 pm Jeff, please continue to heal and keep us updated on your enlistment process. Never, never quit!
Roger, Ranger Jim.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

xray wrote: April 24th, 2017, 1:23 pm JJ5,
Its cool to see your sitreps and that you are still motivated to serve. We all know how recruiters want to talk and get you signed up. Remember what is important to you and what your goals are. If you want a Ranger contract then make that your goal.

Everyone will tell you that you need to be 100% mentally and physically. If you doubt yourself because of the knee or use it as an excuse, that's not going to help. Stay positive, heal-up, work toward your goals and earn your Ranger contract.

Good luck
Roger Ranger xray, thanks for the advice. All I want to do is become a Ranger. I will continue to work to achieve my goals that I have set and most importantly, I will heal up and obtain a Ranger contract.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

SITREP - 20170425

Rangers, I just finished my appointment with the orthopedic this morning and he wants me to get an MRI done on my right knee. He thinks I have a tight IT band and lateral retinaculum which is pulling my kneecap out of place. The difficult part of his injury is finding the cause of the pain because there are so many different ways that can cause anterior knee pain. He doesn't believe there is any major ligament damage which is good. He thinks that more physical therapy and a possible steroid injection into my knee should eventually heal it. I am meeting with a new physical therapist for the next month so I hope I can benefit from it. He doesn't think surgery will be needed (knock on wood) and that the recovery time can take 3-6 months. Hoping for the best thanks for the support.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jeff, Please continue to update us on your progress / healing. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

Jim wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 9:43 am Jeff, Please continue to update us on your progress / healing. Never, never quit!
Roger Ranger Jim,

I have an MRI on my right knee scheduled this coming Friday, May 5th. I hope everything goes well. I will post a PT update this weekend also.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

xray wrote: April 25th, 2017, 12:38 pm Your young and have time to heal. some of these guys will tell you how good they all feel now because they didn't take the time to heal!!!!!
Roger Ranger xray, I will make sure I am fully healed before enlisting.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

SITREP & PT Update - 20170506:

Rangers,

I got my MRI on my right knee yesterday at an imaging place. My real doctor wasn't there but they have another doctor there that looks at MRIs, X-Rays, CT Scans, etc. I don't know how qualified this doctor was but he told me I have either osteochondritis dissecans or chondromalacia around my patella. Osteochondritis dissecans is when not enough blood goes into your joint (my right knee in this case) and the cartilage starts to die. The cartilage starts to flake off and cause pain and in some cases, the cartilage that is coming off can sometimes pull off part of the bone, but that is only in severe cases. I believe I only have a mild to moderate case of it. Chondromalcia is when the cartilage on the back of the patella starts to wear down by overuse. I will get a confirmed diagnosis on May 16th when I meet with my doctor again and I will find out treatment options. As of now I'm just trying to rest and using a heat pad to try and get my blood flowing down to the injured location. From what I've been reading online it says recovery can take 12-18 months and that physical therapy and a cortisone shot can help. Sometimes surgery is needed. I don't want to jinx it but the good news is that you can make a full recovery from this and the younger you are the better your chance is at fully recovering. I'm only 18 so I want to make sure I fully recover from this and I'm still highly motivated to become a Ranger.

PT Update:

Push Ups: 41
Sit Ups: 63
Pull Ups: 9

My scores are still shitty and I'm going to start focusing more on improving them, especially now that I know whats wrong with my knee. My push ups are fucking pathetic and it's pissing me off that they aren't improving. Those will be my main focus as of now and getting my knee better. Sorry for the long post but I will continue to work hard and I will keep all of you updated.
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

That sucks, but listen to your doctors and don't push it to the point where you permanently damage your knee. You have plenty of time to rehab.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

IntelToad wrote: May 7th, 2017, 12:38 pm That sucks, but listen to your doctors and don't push it to the point where you permanently damage your knee. You have plenty of time to rehab.
Roger Ranger IntelToad, I'll be smart about this and make sure I fully recover.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Jeff, let us know how your visit to your physician on 16 May goes. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

Jim wrote: May 14th, 2017, 11:01 am Jeff, let us know how your visit to your physician on 16 May goes. Never, never quit!
Roger that Ranger Jim, will do.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

SITREP - 20170516

Rangers,

I went over my MRI results with my doctor today and he confirmed that I have osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) in my right patella. Since I have had this injury for almost two years and it hasn't gotten any better, I will be getting arthroscopic knee surgery on June 7th. My doc said he will go in and drill a hole into the OCD lesion on the back side of my patella to allow blood to flow into the injured area so my cartilage and bone can heal naturally. He said I might have to get a few pins if there are any loose bone fragments but he doesn't believe there are any. The surgical procedure takes anywhere from 30-60 minutes and my recovery time should take 4-6 weeks. After that I will begin strengthening my knee and leg again with some physical therapy. As of now I'm just working on upper body strength, soaking up all the info on this site and making sure to not do anything stupid that will mess my knee up even more. Also, my doc said I can start swimming again so I will be getting back into the pool soon. I'm glad I'm on the next step of getting this injury healed up. I will be taking this summer off to recover fully and get back into the swing of things. I still have a long road ahead but I'm ready to attack any obstacles still in my way and overcome them. Thanks for all the support, I will keep you guys posted and I will post a PT update this weekend.
jj5
Embryo

Post by jj5 »

PT Update - 20170521

Push-ups: 41

Sit-ups: 71

Pull-ups: 11

Still frustrated with my push-ups. My last day of school is this Thursday so I will have more time to focus on improving them.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”