Introduction: JCM12

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

JCM12
Embryo

Re: Introduction: JCM12

Post by JCM12 »

Hello Rangers,
Update on my current status to enlist with an 11Xopt40 contract.

I finally met with my recruiter. the second I walked through the door, I told him what I wanted. He told me I can not attain an option 40 contract, period. He claimed only seniors graduating high school get option 40 contracts. I explained I don't need the army, I have my own house, truck, secure job. I informed him I would accept nothing less. He issued me a practice Asvab, he let me know I scored high enough for an option 40 contract. His tone changed after he realized I was serious about what I wanted. He recognized that I came in prepared. Which from my personal opinion made the process a lot less painful than I anticipated. As far as paper work goes I cleared everything I didn't have ANY red flags nor question marks. He informed me he's going to get me to meps when my packet is complete. hopefully with an option 40, which he can hold for 7 days. But if not it I would just come back home until one pops up. Which sounded good to me i initially thought that was a better outcome than I expected.

Until another recruiter came up to me, and informed me that the 11Xopt40 contracts were reserved for more than a year. (It was real slow so all the recruiters in that office were listening in to our meeting.)
He claimed I should think about, and I quote "interrogator opt40" (which I assume is 35M) or another option would be combat medic. He explained either one was far more attainable for me than infantry. Unless I only wanted airborne guaranteed. My recruiter repeatedly brought up moving on to special forces later on. (Because I'm not old enough now) which is why he is pushing me on both of those options. Because he said they will pay off in the long run. I am currently waiting to go back in and see what jobs are available so we can set up a date for meps.
One good point is for the 35M you need a top secret clearance he informed me. Which I should very easily be able to attain, as i have my shit together. I'm not worried about that.

I have a couple questions I was hoping you Rangers could answer for me. It would be good to get some advice from someone else than my recruiter to make sure all the facts are straight.

1.) are the 11xopt40 really reserved for the next year?

2.) The fiscal year starts on October first. Should I wait until then to decide what job I choose. I figure there will be many more options to choose from. Possibly even an 11x

He told me that I could make it through the combat medic training even though I have no prior history or experience in that field. He explained that it's easier to train someone from the ground up and that I would be fine. I was curious if I wash out of the medic portion would I still get my shot at rasp or would I get sent somewhere else?
I trust my recruiter he went through the school when it was called RIP. I noticed he has his Airborne Infantry tab, but no Scroll or Ranger tab so I'm assuming he washed out. I would like to hear from someone who knows more about the medic route!
I'm very confident I'm getting an option 40 contract. It just a matter of when and what.
I will appreciate any advice you Rangers are willing to issue me.

I also want to apologize for any grammatical errors and very unorganized format. I typed this on my phone. I'm very busy with work, but I wanted to get this posted before I make any decisions. Thank you for taking the time to read this! I'll post further updates as the process unfolds!
18X
Shipdate: 20151116
JCM12
Embryo

Post by JCM12 »

Hello Rangers,

I just got a phone call from my recruiter. I'm good to my packet cleared. He's sending me to meps on Wednesday, 9/23/15. He told me I'm getting an option 40 contract. I'm going in to his office in Tuesday, and he is pushing me really hard for the combat medic slot he told me to really think about it from now until then. I told him I love that option and I want more information on it. But he also told me if I wanted to wait a couple weeks until the beginning of the year he can get me an 11Xopt40.

My question is why is he pushing the combat medic route on me so hard? I was under the impression it was a specialty that you would need previous experience in?
If I chose the 68W and I washed out of the medical side of training (which I never would) but just incase. What would happen would I still get to go to the regiment or would I be sent somewhere else? He told me I would be fine, but when I say I have no experience I have NONE! although I'm not queezy with the human body or blood so I would be fine with that. i also feel it's a more rewarding option for the long run! He's kind of selling it on me I just want to be sure I make the right decision.

Thank you so much for your time Rangers, any advice is appreciated
18X
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

I am a bit busy at the moment but will write to you this evening about being a combat medic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
JCM12
Embryo

Post by JCM12 »

Ranger Grim666,
Thank you very much, your knowledge and time is greatly appreciated!
18X
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

JCM12 wrote:Ranger Grim666,
Thank you very much, your knowledge and time is greatly appreciated!
a. Grim666 is our resident Ranger Medic expert.
b. Let us know how your visit to MEPS went, when you get back from it.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
JCM12
Embryo

Post by JCM12 »

Ranger Jim,

Meps went really good. I had no trouble at all with any part of the process. I scored really high on my asvab. When I met with my guidance counselor he had already been on the phone with my recruiter trying to grab an 11Xopt40. He was waiting to see what I made on my asvab, because the one I took at the recruiter office was really low in the computer for some reason and couldn't pull up a 40. Once I got to his office he had an 18x contract ready to go. It caught me off guard. He told me I can't get an 11x and even if I could there's so many infantry ranger contracts that I would just wash out anyways because its an easily replaceable job. I told him I needed to think about it, so I thought about it for a couple hours, I was trying to decide if they were pressuring me to make a decision that I knew nothing about. (I have never looked into 18x because I thought I was to young) so when I went back he told me to choose between 68wopt40 or 18x. I was happy with that because medic was my second choice, and I ultimately knew with 18x I would have a shot at medic route as well, I ended up signing the 18x mainly because I decided over the medic route for right now. It was a very weird feeling and really tough for me to turn down the option 40. I understand I have a long hard hard road ahead going in as a SF baby I know it's not easy but I'll give it everything I have. and I'm proud to serve, it was a good day. All I can do now is move forward with my decision that I made. My ship date is 20151116. Thank you for all the advice and the time taken to inform me on any questions that I had about the process in the pursuit of an option 40 contract.
18X

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”