Is RASP even possible for me?

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Mike11C11B
Ranger

Re: Is RASP even possible for me?

Post by Mike11C11B »

Well "smartass", you got me circling. Here it is-Don't waste an option 40. You sound lazy. Maybe delay 6 months to a year to get in shape. College huh? No free gym/track there? How about a ROTC program? That would get your lazy/weak ass to do SOME PT. Force yourself, the military forces you, take initiative and do it yourself. "Dreams"? Earn your dream! Infantry is good enough IS NOT THE MINDSET OF A RANGER! Have you quit mentally? Is your mind/body weak? Do not complain. Do the right thing when no one is looking.
Do PT, have heart and the right mindset, and do your homework.
Your PT scores. You do realize it is 2 MINUTES of pushups, 2 MINUTES of situps, and a 2 mile run time (not 1 mile), with maxing out pullups (min. 6)? Not 1 minute? Your PT scores are that poor. Get in shape or stop wasting our time, wasting an option 40, wasting future military instructors time, wasting future chain of command's time, etc.

Do PT.
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 B Co, 1st Plt 2004-2005
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

Start with this,

Lesson of the day: Mike11C11B, not Mike11c11b, just like ex. Ranger, not *anger (notice I cannot bear to see Ranger without a capital "R"). Knock out 50+1 for YOUR LACK OF ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Once done, explain in this thread why you do "+1" when you always do pushups (homework- hint, search this site). Once done, lesson complete, prepare for next lesson (I already have it ready).

Do PT.
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Attention to detail. You did not do well. This is not FaceBook!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

blue_fox wrote:Roger Ranger Mike11C11B, took about an hour, but another 50+1 complete. Will now start on my homework research.
Astonishing that a young man of your age would need 1 HOUR to knock out 50+1 push-ups.

I was once tasked with drawing my own square of death with chalk, 12 inches by 12 inches, by my SSG, for leaving a $10.00 timex watch unsecured in my own room, which was locked, but the watch was not secured in my wall locker properly.

He checked the measurements of the square, it was just enough to keep my feet inside the lines so that I could move from the front leaning rest to the position of attention in between sets.

He then assigned a Sgt to make sure I completed the task to standard and then told me I had 2 hours to do 700 push-ups to "buy" the watch back from him for my lack of attention of detail.

See here's the thing, he didn't hate me or anything, he didn't want me to quit, it's just the way it is sometimes there, BUT he wouldn't have given me a task so far fetched that he didn't think I, or any other Ranger couldn't complete by giving 110% effort and staying strong of mind. See that there?

He knew it would be painful as hell, but he wanted me to remember that pain and the lesson it brought with it because part of my job required me to handle sensitive daily codes and encryption materials, if I had left one of those unsecured somewhere as opposed to a stupid 10.00 watch, I would have been brought up on charges and kicked out of Regiment. I didn't know it at the time, but he was really helping me, and to this day I'm still a freak about attention to detail, thanks to him.

You have a LOT of work to do. You are in no way ready for this journey yet. Physically or mentally. Work hard and one day you may be, the effort is on you, pass or fail.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

The reason for doing +1 everytime you do pushups is TO HONOR THE AIRBORNE RANGER IN THE SKY. This is for a Ranger Fallen Comrade. Your platoon/squad/etc. might even have extra pushups for Fallen Comrades on top of the Airborne Ranger in the Sky (ex. "One for the Airborne Ranger in the Sky, 3 for my Fallen Comrades (say a different Fallen Comrade's name during each pushup)). You must know everything about your Airborne Ranger in the Sky at all times, as to HONOR your Airborne Ranger in the Sky. NEVER EVER DISHONOR!

Lesson of the Day: Pick a Ranger Fallen Comrade as your Airborne Ranger in the Sky. (IF you make it to the 75th Ranger Regiment, do not be surprised if you should change your Airborne Ranger in the Sky to someone that served in that Battalion/platoon/etc. that the platoon all served with and knew personally.)

You did not find out what +1 meant. Failure is part of a new private's life, and you haven't even joined yet. You WILL get knocked down, but it's up to you to stay down or not...Lesson Learned.

Learn the Standard, Meet the Standard, Exceed the Standard. Know the Ranger Creed. 100% and then some. Never Quit!

Do PT.
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Man, this thread keeps getting better and better..

Here is part of the reason you need to toughen up your hackles; A friend of mine from way back when in Battalion, Jessie, is in charge of RASP. If you are lucky (or unlucky, as the case may be..) you may get to meet him. This last group of mentees going through RASP certainly found out what he was about going out to Cole Range. I'll let his words do the talking..
To the 64 Rangers killed in action since 9-11 and the multiple amputees....You are the reason I am doing the right thing this morning and foot marching with the students into Cole Range in sub zero weather with wind. May you look after the future Rangers on the land navigation course tonight and let the future world-wides freeze their asses off this week. Cole Range will definitely own a lot more souls after this week! RLTW!!..
For us, it was a man named MAJ(Ret) Jeff Struecker. (feel free to google his name and see what you find..)Then he was a SFC and senior RIP cadre. He told us he felt it was his "God given" mission in life to prevent future Rangers from dying by making us a hard as he could. If this in turn scuffed us up a bit? So be it. This man accepted no quarter from us. Even after I graduated I would avoid him like the plague... It literally took me many years before I was able to be around him, let alone talk to him. Last time I saw him I shook his hand and thanked him, because after all those years I got it. I understood what he was trying to do.

Such as these, and many, many more are the men you wish to join ranks with. These are the type of men you will have to show, (to paraphrase R. Lee Eremy..) "that you have what it takes to serve in my beloved Regiment.."

No reply is needed.

Less talk, more action.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”