Preferred age group

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Preferred age group

Post by cams »

Boston, you have gold standard studs here offering you assistance with 68W.

Take a look at Ranger Grimms signature line and see who his mentor was.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Ranger Grimm66, Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will continue doing some research and send you a pm if you still don't mind.

Ranger Cams, Thank you.
A-co 2/75
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

It should be noted that the age range in Batt. has gone a bit north in the past few years. I would say that the privates are on average at least 20 now, and the 17-19 year old private isn't as common as it once was. I got to 1/75 as a 19 y/o and was one of the youngest in the platoon. All the guys I went to C co. with were all well into their 20's. Again, not to say there aren't still some young guys that come in, but it is far more common to see guys a bit older. I think this probably reflects a change in the way Regiment assesses guys now.

On the other stuff, your recruiter doesn't know shit and is the type of person I grew to hate during my recruiting time: the NCO who would rather make shit up to sound knowledgable in front of applicants rather than do the leg work and find out the real answer. Proceed with caution.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I'd bet the bump in age for Privates may have something to do with more young guys going to college first as well. Another bonus for the Regiment, less "strong" Rangers and more "smart" ones as the old saying went.

For you newbs reading that don't let it fool you into thinking it has anything to do with less PT, these present day Rangers are absolute PT animals and will run people into the ground without breaking a sweat.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

boston0550 if you want to send a PM that would be fine.

I believe that both Ranger Cams and Ranger goon175 are correct. The "new" assessment program and the PreRASP program weed out a lot of individuals. In addition there are quite a number that were in class with me that had at least an Associates Degree. Combined hopefully it is only allowing those that are both physically and mentally fit to pass through.
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Yeah… PT… it has definitely not suffered due to a bump in age or intelligence. There are a few guys that I put in the army that are in Batt. now, and suffice it to say I am glad that they are not my TL's!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
boston0550
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by boston0550 »

Thank you Rangers for your posts,

It's a little reassuring that the average age in the Battalion has been going increasing. I am still set on being a physically ready along with mentally and achieving my goals.

Thank you again
A-co 2/75
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

boston0550 wrote:It's a little reassuring that the average age in the Battalion has been going increasing. I am still set on being a physically ready along with mentally and achieving my goals.
OK, so now you are more comfortable. What's your next step? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”