Introduction- Preston

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Mr_Cosby
Embryo

Re: Introduction- Preston

Post by Mr_Cosby »

In response to Ranger Lefty and Ranger Jim...
Yes, from what I have heard from the people at the meetings I have gone to it is not an easy route. Unfortunately, it is one that I must take for the sake of my parents, for they are intent on having me go to college. Honestly though, I would much rather enlist and get in as fast as possible. It's a tough decision I'm not 100% on yet, so I will definitely keep your offer in mind, Ranger Lefty, and I also thank you very much for it as well. I understand that in order to succeed I must be no less than the best, and I have began academic preparations accordingly. It will be a tough road, but it is one I am willing to take in order to achieve my dream. I will most definitely keep both of you updated by private message if you wish (not sure if you want me to, Ranger Jim, but I will if you would like), and I deeply thank both of you for your help, advice, and service to our country.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

My initial impression is (in spite of your weak beginning) that you are a caspable young man. For you the possible is what you choose. Ranger Lefty is local. I'm not. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Mr_Cosby
Embryo

Post by Mr_Cosby »

Thank you Ranger Jim, that means the world coming from a Ranger.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Contact Ranger Lefty, please.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Preston, it is not necessary to PM me. Simply keep us posted on what route you take.

If you opt for application to the USMA or college to pursue the immediate route to officer, there is little I can do for you.

If you opt for the enlisted route and obtain an Option 40 contract, then there is much I can do for you.

The ultimate decision is yours.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Mr_Cosby
Embryo

Post by Mr_Cosby »

In response to Ranger Lefty, thank you for the clarification. I will keep you updated as things progress. To start, I just opened my file at West Point and have begun the long application process. I am also scheduled to meet in the spring with the UWMad Badger Battalion, which will be the third time.
Mr_Cosby
Embryo

Post by Mr_Cosby »

Ranger Lefty,

It's been a year now, and I am happy to say that I was appointed to USMA and will be reporting in for R-Day. Much has happened in this past year, and many decisions have been made directing me towards a career in the military, more specifically the Army. I am still in pursuit of entering the Regiment, and will be trying my hardest at the academy to receive a high class ranking in order to choose infantry as my MOS in order to better my chances of gaining entrance to RASP.

This past year has consisted of a LOT of running; I did my first marathon in May and really got to liking the distance runs. I'm in swimming at the moment, but I have been training on top of it for marathons, doing twenty-milers on the weekends (until recently, non-impact all week and then a long run like that equal temporary tendinitis and a few weeks off). I also started biking, and I am attempting to prepare myself for the West Point Triathlon team. I am excited to join the ranks of the long gray line and continue doing the physical activities that I love.

I do have a few questions, as the progress I have made brought a few up. First, is there anything I can do while at West Point to better my chances of becoming a Ranger, other than class rank? And secondly, as an officer in the Regiment, what would deployments look like, or how often would I be able to be home? And while at home, what does an officer's life look like as far as the work day goes and required location (Fort Benning for the officers in the Regiment, I presume)?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

First, congratulations on your appointment. That is a significant achievement in itself. If someone has not already told you, be prepared to be something you have not been to this point in your life - AVERAGE.

Once you get to West Point, you will notice everyone there is at least as smart and accomplished as you are. All the dummies who made you look good are gone. Get your lessons, suck up all the harassment you will get, and do not waste this opportunity.

Having never been there, I cannot give you guidance on the USMA. As far as getting into the 75th Regiment, all I can say is do your best and see how it sorts out.

As for life as an officer, that is at least four years and many changes down the road. Nobody can say for certain what you will be doing.

There are some on this site who have been to USMA and they can advise you far better than I can.

Do your best and never ever quit.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

An appointment to USMA is something many seek. You earned it! Understand this is only the first step, You have to keep your grades up for four years. The rest of your career will be impacted by your class standing. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Mr_Cosby
Embryo

Post by Mr_Cosby »

Ranger Lefty and Ranger Jim,

Thank you for the input! Yes, I was there this past summer for a camp, and some of the kids there greatly exceeded my abilities. It won't be easy to achieve a high class rank, but you have to work for anything truly worth getting. Either way I am excited to finally be in the military, it's been a long wait! And yes Ranger Lefty, that's a good point. I will cross that bridge when I come to it and focus on working as hard as possible in the present to secure a place in the Regiment. Thank you both again for your input, that means a lot. Thank you both for your service to our country.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I expect great things from you. Please stay in touch with us as you become a Plebe. Never. never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Congratulations on your appointment to my alma mater and I applaud your desire to serve our country. Friday evening I had the distinct pleasure of attending the Infantry Ball at USMA in honor of those in the Class of 2014 who chose as their branch the QUEEN OF BATTLE. I will PM you with my phone number if you choose to speak with me.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Hey, I recognize that Ranger!

Mr Cosby, you are a lucky man to receive this offer by Ranger garyedolan - don't waste it.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”