Did I ruin my chance to be Ranger?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

SpearmintRhino wrote:
Blowing Chunks wrote:
hit_it wrote::?
SFC Hit_it, what if I brought my commander a 300+ on my APFT when I come back from AIT? And just talked to him about being Ranger, JB kind of brought this to my attention. No disrespect JB but im not sure how to address you.
Do you see where it says "Commissioned" in his signature line?
That means you address him as Sir.
WTH is wrong with you? and you have completed BCT?
Do some more thinking and reading, and present your questions in a more logical manner.
SFC Hit_it is here to provide advice, not read people's minds.

Good luck anyway.
I see the Commissioned now, prime example of not paying atteniton to detail. Time to beat my fucking face. Im really not sure what to do, since I fucked up. Going to MEPS and insisting ABN/OPT40 is the easy route, I guess I chose the hard one for myself. Im still unexperienced with the way the army works, which makes this even more difficult, but I dont want to use that excuse and be a little bitch. I'd asked about this before on the military.com forums and got the same response. No this, no you cant that..so thats what I assumed. This may sound sad, and I probably act like a rock but im not sure what other options I have.
DocDaigle

Post by DocDaigle »

JB wrote:You probably won't be able to do anything for 6 months AFTER comming back from AIT. So no you can't just volunteer for RIP at AIT. However, there are several things to keep in mind.

First, your commander is not obligated to release you. You signed a contact with the guard, and he can hold you to the whole term.

Second, if your battalion is scheduled for a mobilized, then you're probably already under a stop loss. In this case, you're commander doesn't even have a choice, you're staying.

The best advice I could give you is, talk to your commander and a Active Duty recrutier about your situation. If you don't get what you want out of your commander, DON'T FUCK UP and become a shitty soldier. Just wait until you get a new commander and try again. If you start fucking up, he can just put you out the easiest way for him, which isn't in your best interests.

As far as bonuses, MOS ect once you manage to get onto active duty, you'd have to ask SFC Hit It or another recruiter.
Actually all he has to do is fill out the 4187, it has to get either goed or no-goed by the CO. If no goed all he has to do is contact the 75th Regimental recruiter and fax the 4187, plus his voluteer letter to serve in the rangers and attend ABN and RGR training, and he's gone.
JB
US Army Veteran

Post by JB »

Blowing Chunks-

You've not screwed yourself yet, you just need patience. Slow down and look at what you're wanting and then see how you're going to get there. From what I see, you've got just about a year before you can go active. That is if everything works out smoothly and your commander/unit can or will release you.

Ranger DocDaigle could have a possible solution for you, however, I'd probably exercise that option last, as I could easily see it turning into a pissing match in which you end up loosing.

Keep a positive attitude, keep your APFT score high and things will work out. Look at this time as a cooling off period, if in a year or so, if being in the Ranger Regiment is something you really desire, than pursue it when you're in a much better position.
AD 1993-1998
Currently a FA Battery XO
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

:?
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

This is the only place where ive actually heard some promising news.
I thank you SpearmintRhino, JB Sir, Ranger DocDaigle. I understand theres nothing I can do now, Ill keep driving on untill the time comes. My plans formulated from here, now. Ill excersice patiences, I figure since my unit is going to be coming off a deployment soon, there will be a 1 year deactivation? If so I could probably take advantage of the situation. Im going to dive into this much further after AIT.

SFC Hit_it Several people have directed me to ask you a formulated question on being a ranger, since I dont know any better way to ask this and im assuming you know where I stand, since you've follwed this thread. SFC Hit_it, Is there any other ways, that havn't been addressed to becoming a Ranger in my current situation? And if not could you add to whats already been said?
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

you're trying to fix something, that shouldn't be broke in the first place.

ain't no Ranger battalions in the Guard. so why did you even talk to them about being something they can't give you?

ain't no fix for your situation, bud. if you get released, try to get airborne infantry.

then pray. :roll:
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Blowing Chunks
Embryo

Post by Blowing Chunks »

hit_it wrote:you're trying to fix something, that shouldn't be broke in the first place.

ain't no Ranger battalions in the Guard. so why did you even talk to them about being something they can't give you?

ain't no fix for your situation, bud. if you get released, try to get airborne infantry.

then pray. :roll:
I stated earlier about my previous plans for using the guard, college etc. What your saying is what ive heard from everyone else, yet there tends to be a handful that tell me its possible. I would give up college to be a Ranger. I think its kind of sad, theres a war out there...im itching to go or do anything and well....Im sitting at home right now in my boxers watching paternity tests on Maury. Thanks SFC Hit_it for getting to the point though, even though the chances are slim it wont stop me from trying. I apoligize for slugging this thread out so long.

Return to “Recruitment Process”