Post by Bravo57 »

Padre,
Check out one of my Ranger Buddies.

http://www.jeffstruecker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
hodge
Embryo

Re: The impact in your life as a Ranger

Post by hodge »

Rangers,
Thank you all for you words of wisdom, and suggestions. I am not Catholic so my uptake on all the Saints is limited but as instructed by Ranger Panthersix I will get some information on the Patron of the Rangers.

Ranger Pantersix,
I appreciate the advice on the medallions, jumping and being of service to the younger Rangers who may need some support with marriage and financial struggles.

Ranger Earthpig,
I am not sure what the overall mission statement is for the Chaplains is yet, but I will definitely include that in my own Mission Statement as a Chaplain.

Ranger .,
Thank you for the examples of Chaplain Lasley and McBride and the impact they made on your life.

Ranger Bravo57,
Thanks for the information on Ranger Struecker. I will check the link out you gave me and some of his books.

Ranger Jim and Schibbs,
Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Ranger Panthersix,
As Ranger Kilted Heathen mentioned the Patron Saint of the Army Rangers is St. Andrew. Ranger Joe's sells the medallions for him, St. Michael for Paratroopers and St. Phillip for Special Forces. A little information on about St. Michael and St. Andrew.
St. Michael: Prayer to Saint Michael (Patron of the Military)
All: St. Michael, the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection
against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
By the power of God
cast into hell Satan
And all evil spirits
who prowl throughout the world
seeking the ruin of souls. AMEN.

As stated here in this prayer Michael is an Archangel of the Lord, who is the General (if you will) of the Angelic army.

Invocation of Military Saints
[Leader/All:]
St. Martin of Tours, soldier of Christ, noble patron of military chaplains
St. Therese of the Little Flower, “Angel of the Trenches”, friend of veterans
St. Ignatius, defender of faith, patron of soldiers
St. Daniel, first Bishop of Padua, patron of women whose husbands are at war
St. Brendan, faithful navigator, patron of sailors and Marines
St. Barbara, holy helper, patroness of artillerymen
St. Joseph of Cupertino, elevated saint, patron of paratroopers and all airborne services
St. Philip Neri, stealth in prayer, patron of US Special Forces
St. Maurice, martyred Christian soldier, patron of infantrymen
St. Andrew the Apostle, true missioner, patron of Army Rangers
St. Michael, Heaven’s victorious defender, patron of all military services

(As found on CatholicMil.org)
I could not find the reason why St. Anrew is the patron of the Rangers, the only thing that I could link him and the Rangers to was the meaning of his name. In the Greek, he is known as Andreas. As was common with the Greek and Jewish names of the time, Andreas has a meaning: it’s manhood or valor. There is no equivalent to the name Andreas in either Hebrew or Aramaic.

Rangers being know as an elite combat force would definitely coincide with the meaning of his name (manhood and valor) thus making it a possibility of why St. Andrew was chosen for the Rangers.

If I come across any more information as to why St. Andrew is the Patron Saint of the Rangers, I will pass it on.

Hodge
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Thanks Hodge! These are the kinds of questions a lot of us had on our minds around Chaplains anyway so this is good prep for you when you get to Bn!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Bravo57 wrote:Padre,
Check out one of my Ranger Buddies.

http://www.jeffstruecker.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parabellum loves that guy
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, now I do wonder. I saw the ad at Ranger Joe's for the Saint Andrew, patron saint of Rangers medallion. Curious, I called SGM Tommy Marrero, the Chief of Chaplains SGM (3d Bn combat scroll). He is trying to run it down. He thought, as did I, that the patron saint is St Michael. He is going to check it for me.

Sandy, I notice that St Andrew is also the patron saint of Scotland.

Obviously one of the good things about the internet is the exchanges of ideas / data.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

He is indeed. The National Flag of Scotland is St Andrews' Cross, which he was crucified upon. It's a white X on a blue field. St Andews' Cross was also used to form the cross-bar azure field of the Confederate Flag which is why the azure bars are bordered in white. St Andrew, as Saints go, was one tough and stubborn bastard. He was considered first among Christs' disciples and therefore the first to be called upon in time of need. Hence he was chosen as the Patron for those that the United States call upon first in time of need.

Rangers.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Kilted Heathen wrote:He is indeed. The National Flag of Scotland is St Andrews' Cross, which he was crucified upon. It's a white X on a blue field. St Andews' Cross was also used to form the cross-bar azure field of the Confederate Flag which is why the azure bars are bordered in white. St Andrew, as Saints go, was one tough and stubborn bastard. He was considered first among Christs' disciples and therefore the first to be called upon in time of need. Hence he was chosen as the Patron for those that the United States call upon first in time of need.

Rangers.
Ranger Kilted Heathen, in addition to the history you have given, another thought comes to mind as a possible reason that St. Andrew may be recognized as the Patron Saint for Rangers. In the Gospel of John, the details of the calling of the early disciples are given. The text reads:

Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, was one of the two who heard John's witness and followed Jesus. The first thing he did after finding where Jesus lived was find his own brother, Simon, telling him, "We've found the Messiah" (that is, "Christ"). He immediately led him to Jesus. John 1:40-41

When Andrew discovered Jesus and believed He was the Christ, he didn't just come alone; he went back and brought his brother along with him.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Ardent Lady wrote:
Kilted Heathen wrote:He is indeed. The National Flag of Scotland is St Andrews' Cross, which he was crucified upon. It's a white X on a blue field. St Andews' Cross was also used to form the cross-bar azure field of the Confederate Flag which is why the azure bars are bordered in white. St Andrew, as Saints go, was one tough and stubborn bastard. He was considered first among Christs' disciples and therefore the first to be called upon in time of need. Hence he was chosen as the Patron for those that the United States call upon first in time of need.

Rangers.
Ranger Kilted Heathen, in addition to the history you have given, another thought comes to mind as a possible reason that St. Andrew may be recognized as the Patron Saint for Rangers. In the Gospel of John, the details of the calling of the early disciples are given. The text reads:

Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, was one of the two who heard John's witness and followed Jesus. The first thing he did after finding where Jesus lived was find his own brother, Simon, telling him, "We've found the Messiah" (that is, "Christ"). He immediately led him to Jesus. John 1:40-41

When Andrew discovered Jesus and believed He was the Christ, he didn't just come alone; he went back and brought his brother along with him.
And said unto him...

"Take a fuckin' knee and face out,asshole! We're trying to do a link-up here!"
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
hodge
Embryo

Post by hodge »

Rangers,
As has been noted that St Andrew is indeed the Patron Saint of Scotland and the reason his cross is in the shape of an X instead of a cross is that he did not deem himself worthy to die the same way as Christ and asked to be crucified in the shape of an X.
If there as been any wives, or other family members of Rangers and you would like to add how a Chaplain can serve you please feel free to comment.

Hodge
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

You can do no worse than LT. VINCENT ROBERT CAPODANNO

http://www.combatwife.net/memcapodanno.htm
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Speedracer

Post by Speedracer »

Try not to be like others before you but be your self

You will find your calling and improve on it

Dont try and fit in but be there when the time is called

Godd luck
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

. wrote:I've met some really good chaplains (Chaplains Lasley and McBride) and then I've met a few crappy ones (I wont name them here). The things that stuck out most in my mind about the good ones were that, no matter how bad times were, they were right there sucking like the rest of us. They weren't chatting about the lord or the good book but they would ask questions about how your family was doing back home, or what you planned on doing when you get back home. The good chaplains would always remember the smallest details about my unimportant life even after not having spoke with me in weeks or months. Sometimes Chaplain Lasley would come up to me and I havent seen him in a few months and ask how my kids were doing by name. Totally blew me away. Thats the kind of guy I would gladly go talk to if I felt like I needed it, not because I felt he knew more than me about personal problems, but that he honestly cared. What made Chaplain Mcbride a good chaplain was his ability to shoulder more than his fair share of the task. There were MULTIPLE times that we would be neck deep in a company live fire and while we were hammering a target as a platoon, I would look back and see Chaplain Mcbride launch a LAW or two at that bunker or building, it would crack me up everytime. Other times you could find him as the primary jumpmaster of a chalk, and let me tell you, you've never heard a pre-jump given until you've heard one from Chaplain Mcbride, that dude could motivate the dead to come alive, strap on a T-10 and stand in the door. If any jumpmaster has ever gioven me confidence as a jumper it was Chaplain Mcbride. Even his pre-mission speeches to the boys before we were about to get it on, man I wished I had taped some of those, but damn they were motivating speeches.
Those two guys were great Chaplains in my mind and I have no doubt that I could call either one of them on the phone today and they would help me out in a heartbeat.
I don't think there will ever be another "Chaplain McBride" and his "hell hath no fury like a Battalion of Rangers about to do what the Lord created these men for.." By God, that man was a motivating machine. Nobody I ever met after was the same.
HakweeRgr
Ranger

Post by HakweeRgr »

cams wrote:
Jim wrote:
panthersix wrote:Don't forget to pass out some St. Michael medallions too...
Which brings up an obscure question: Who is the patron saint of Rangers? Is it St. Michael?
Sir, I think people just make it up as they go along. I've seen St. Michael used for several different occupations. Paratroopers/Rangers/Police/Fire/This /That/Pizza Delivery guy/Tom Cruise/Etc

I remember Chaplain Frederichs passed out St. Michael medallions to everybody before we went to OJC, but on the medallion it said Patron Saint of Paratroopers. Then I saw another one some yrs later that said Patron Saint of Rangers, forget the guys name though. :?

And to answer your question young new Padre, any kind of hard candy is dandy, gets about that time when you see a stud needing a hand, you could give him snot flavor and he'd be thankful just for getting his mind off his feet or back for a minute or two.

Always had a special place for Chaplains, being my dad was a Lutheran Pastor. Chaplain Wheatly Once gave me a Saint Michael before my 13th jump. He had know that on my 12th jump my roommate and our CO collided mid air. Neither were the same again, they lived but never ranger again. I never forgot that. Later in my career, I gave up my faith. After a long talk with Chaplain Wheatley and giving my reasons why. He never forgot me either, being someone who denounced his faith, Chaplain Wheatley to treat me just as any other Ranger. He continued to be a great counselor to me, without the use of religion.

Not every Ranger believes, but every Ranger needs counseling.

Best of luck to you in all your future tasks.
B Co., 3/75th, '91-'96 "THE" Token
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 93

Mentor to dbh (1/75), FreshMeat(1/75),Mata Leao(2/75)
Zach2011(1/75), Runna22(2/75), Papa84(3/75)

Return to “The Mosh Pit”