Single Set Weight Lifting Routine

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

Cliv03 wrote:I was benching with the bent bar that allows you to go deeper than using a regular bench bar. It's not used for heavy weight....but being a dumbass, I used heavy weight. :roll:
OK I know exactly what you are talking about. I havent used one of those in years. Any barbell exercise puts a huge amount of stress on the shoulders. Thats why I stay away from them period.
I can do the same exact thing with dumb bells and work on balance (stabalizer muscles) at the same time.
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Cliv03 wrote:The Holmchicken:
Hah! Happened more times than I care to count! Have had the ol' shoulder re-built twice now.

Shit...I just drank water and walked it off.....

The first time I dislocated it, yeah. Same here. The second, third and fourth, ehhh, not so much. Kettelbells and shoulder presses, thrusters with dumbells is I keep it going.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Bill give the following website a look see. I reference every so often myself though I can't specifically say whether there is anything in there about single set routines or not. Still has great info.

www.bodybuilding.com
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Gordo173 wrote:Bill give the following website a look see. I reference every so often myself though I can't specifically say whether there is anything in there about single set routines or not. Still has great info.

www.bodybuilding.com
Yeah, I visit that site often and have for years. They have a multi page topic in one of their forums about which style is best. Half say one-set HIT is great and half say volume is the way to go. No definitive answers. I guess I will just have to try for myself and see if it works for me.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Cliv03 wrote:I know this is kinda off the subject matter here, but have any of you guys been to the supplement store called Steer's, just outside of Bragg, and see the guy that owns it? His name is Noah.....Theeee absolute largest fucker I have ever seen in my life. The dude's like 6 ft 6 and weighs in at like 330 lbs. (non-competative weight).

Yeah. When I was in the Q course at Bragg, all the 18B students went there to get their androl, d-bol, stackers, etc. so they could become even bigger meatheads!
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

RangerBill I think this may be the info that you were looking for (dont know why it copied like this, but its straight out of a power point presentation given in our lecture the other day).

C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Ranger bmf175, thanks for the info. I am assuming that what you get in school is the latest and greatest word on strength training.

When I get back from the Rendezvous/Reunion, I am going to continue my present 5-day split but change the routine to single sets with a rep range of 10 to 12 for at least two months to give it a try.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

Keep in mind these are just guidelines for individuals that still want to have the health benefits that come from resistence training and not patients that primarily want hypertrophy. So basically try them out and then adapt to fit your own body.

Since Ive learned this slide I am also going to try and alter my training too.

This slide comes from American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) manual that a lot of the "guideline" teachings come from. But as far as specific resistance training this is the one area where research is somewhat lacking.

If you notice in the graph above most studies stop early most individuals that were studied that indepth (past the norm study length) are olympians and other elite competitors.... sadly the ACSM gives a lot of credit to genetics.

The norm is 8-12, but 3-20 is also the range that you can work with depending on your individual goals.
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
Bikkstah
Embryo

Post by Bikkstah »

Rangers,

Sorry to hear you are all getting so terribly old and frail :)

I am a few weeks from sitting for my personal trainer certification with the American Council on Exercise (ACE). I currently lift on a 4 day split focusing exclusively on strength gains, my routine looks like this:

Day 1: Chest/Biceps/Forearms/Abs

Dumbbell Flat Bench
Dumbbell Floor Press
Cable Cross-Overs
Weighted Push-ups (Bringing my IBA to the gym and shoving 10lb plates into the SAPI plate holders)
Incline Bench Alternating Dumbbell Curls
Standing Dumbbell Hammer Curls
One-arm dumbbell curls on the preacher bench
Standing ez-bar drag curls
Standing barbell forearm extensions
Seated barbell forearm curls
Weighted decline crunches
Incline leg raises
30 min. on the elliptical

Day 2: Quadriceps/Shoulders

Barbell squat
Bulgarian (one leg) lunges
Cable step-ups
Machine hack squats
Standing Arnold Press
Barbell shrugs
Barbell upright rows
Bent-over dumbbell flys

Day 3: Back/Triceps/Forearms/Abs

Straight-leg deadlifts
Chin-ups
Seated cable rows
One-arm bent-over dumbbell rows
Close-grip bench press
Dips
One-arm cable pressdowns
Overhead dumbbell tricep press
Standing barbell forearm extensions
Seated barbell forearm curls
Weighted decline crunches
Incline leg raises

Day 4: Hamstring/Calves

Machine hamstring curls
Lying machine hamstring curls
Glute-ham raises
Cable hamstring curls
Standing barbell calve raises
Seated calve raises
Donkey calve raises

Day 5: Off or start again at day 1

I employ morning cardio; either an endurance run, 30/60s, or sprints incorporated into a pyramid workout. After the run or 30/60s, I do calisthenics as well. I lift after work/class in the late afternoon/early evening. I find 5 sets of 5 reps each really helps my strength more than 1 or 2 sets of 8-12 reps. Obviously I wouldn't recommend you guys jump right into this, but I find the heavy volume of exercises (4 per muscle group or 20 sets) combined with a lean diet really shocks the body into rebuilding only lean muscle for pure strength gains. I've gained some muscle but obviously not as much if I lifted a more traditional 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps for mass. I've been following this since I got back from OSUT this past winter and have packed on about 30lbs of lean muscle mass. I supplement with a multi-vitamin, calcium, creatine, and some whey protein before and after weight lifting, eating 6 times throughout the day including the 2 protein shakes. A typical day looks like this for me, food wise:

Meal 1: 5 egg whites, 1 egg yolk, multi-vitamin, calcium
Meal 2: Can of white tuna or white chicken breast with some natural peanut butter
Meal 3: whey protein shake or white chicken breast (preworkout)
Meal 4: whey protein shake (post workout)
Meal 5: ground sirloin or white chicken breast with brown rice or baked potato
Meal 6: whey protein shake or white chicken breast or natural peanut butter (right before bed, consume only health fats like peanut butter or protein before bed, will cause protein synthesis instead of conversion to body fat as a heavy carb meal would)

this is about 1500-2000 calories a day, with about 100g fat, 200-250g protein and 50-100g of carbs a day. To really pack on the muscle this diet would simply be doubled.

These are my big three currently:

Flat barbell bench: 325lbs
Barbell squat: 415lbs
Straight-legged Deadlift: 335lbs

Obviously not the strongest joe on the planet, but considering before I started this, I'd never squatted or deadlifted before, it's going well.

I really love this site for showing folks how to do exercises, videos for almost every exercise in existence, including all the ones I list above:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
1/125th INF, 37th IBCT, 38th ID (ARNG) - '06-Present
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Bikkstah - I understand a 5X5 routine is very popular now, but most of the routines I have seen focus on four to six exercises per workout. In your Day 1, there are 12 exercises followed by 30 minutes of cardio. With five sets per exercise, that totals 60 sets. Even assuming just a 60 second rest between sets, it must take you at least one and a half hours to complete this and that is not including the cardio. How long does your workout take?
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
Bikkstah
Embryo

Post by Bikkstah »

Ranger Bill wrote:Bikkstah - I understand a 5X5 routine is very popular now, but most of the routines I have seen focus on four to six exercises per workout. In your Day 1, there are 12 exercises followed by 30 minutes of cardio. With five sets per exercise, that totals 60 sets. Even assuming just a 60 second rest between sets, it must take you at least one and a half hours to complete this and that is not including the cardio. How long does your workout take?
It does take longer than your typical lifting session (~45 minutes). All said and done, I clock in about 2 hours in the gym. I'm debating supersetting and seeing how much time that cuts off. My rest time is 30 seconds between sets, so about 2.5 min per exercise currently. Theoretically, supersetting would allow me to cut the time in half.
1/125th INF, 37th IBCT, 38th ID (ARNG) - '06-Present

Return to “About Army Physical Training”