Would you do it all over again?

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I wish I was 20 now. I'd be 2/75 as fast as I could. No regrets ever.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Abell9 wrote:
Doc Cook wrote: I believe that everyone has an obligation to do at least 4 years of something for thier country either military, cop, EMT, teacher something.....
So....serving 7 years in Federal Prison for beating a Senators ass....that qualifies, right?
Being someone's punk doesn't count dude. :lol:
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

I am too stupid to do anything else. That is why I am staying in.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Unknown wrote:I am too stupid to do anything else. That is why I am staying in.
Don't knock yourself, you could be, uh, you could....geez, hold on, give me a minute here. :lol:
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
H75thRangers
Ranger

Post by H75thRangers »

Different times....different circumstances. As stated earlier, living the life of a Ranger and trying to build a family just seem to oppose each other. As one of the earlier Rangers here, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat, but my life (as my children's) would be totally changed (better ...worse ... who knows?)

The point is this, if it fits today, and after all, if that's all we've got, stay with it. I got out after 11 years and have no regrets. The military was different after R.I.F. (Reduction In Forces), as it will be again when the current major threats start to minimize. It's cyclic, if you hit the right time it's great and intrinsically rewarding, but at the wrong time it is debilitating and you become desirious of other opportunities.

Which cycle are you in? :roll:
H Co(Rgr) 75th Inf(Abn) 1st Cav RVN 9/69-5/72
3d Bde (Abn) 101st Abn Div Ft Campbell '72-'74
CENTAG, Seckenheim, Germany '74-'77

If you kill for pleasure, you're a sadist...
If you kill for money, you're a mercenary...
If you kill for both, you're a RANGER!!!
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

The Holmchicken wrote:
Don't knock yourself, you could be, uh, you could....geez, hold on, give me a minute here. :lol:

This from a man shittin an egg......... :roll: :wink:
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
The Holmchicken
Ranger

rgrpuck wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:

This from a man shittin an egg......... :roll: :wink:
LAYING an egg........... :lol: :lol:
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

where do eggs come from?

a chicken's ass...
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
The Holmchicken
Ranger

KW Driver wrote:where do eggs come from?

a chicken's ass...
And yet, everyone loves them.
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

I wanted to suck start a shotgun after I got out at first. Then I went overseas for my first contract and it has been an awesome ride since. Almost two years later I have worked with every type of guy out there with every possible background and received a priceless education for free. I still have the itch to go back in and do it again, but I would shoot for other goals. I did the Regiment thing and now I would be shooting for Group or TACP, but going back would be treading water. Either ways, there is a lot of shit out there in the world for you to do. You have enough time right now to complete two full retirements aout there. Open your mind up and look around. There is a lot to do in life besides being a Ranger.
griff78
Ranger

Post by griff78 »

Getting out without a gameplan, (other than to have weekends off, and to make the big civilian bucks :oops: ----HAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! Still ain't happened!) was a major mistake!!! Miss my brothers dearly to this day, and not a day goes by where I don't use the Ranger Creed as a personal guide.
Had a viciously difficult time integrating into civilian life, trying to find a job in the shitty market of '81. Being the posterchild for 'Don't be a Drunk Driver' certainly didn't help...3 crushed vertebra...2 steel rods...all pretty much closed the door on the possible return option for me!
I recently went to a C CO Reunion, and met guys that I haven't seen in 24 years, and it was MAGICAL--like we had never been apart! It was a great reminder of what a special unit, special time, and monumentally special people that I had the priviledge to know! I feel HONORED to be counted as a friend to these magnificent guys! THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL NEVER FIND IN CIVILIAN LIFE!! (Notice this thread in almost every reply?!)
I stopped playing the "What if..." game a long time ago. It solves nothing. I am very happy in my station in life, and with my family. I used to think that Rangering was the only thing that I was good at, however, somehow I seem to be a fairly good paramedic. I probably would have stayed in had I been taken aside by someone that sat me down and gave me the real facts of life...not some Re-up NCO looking to make a quota. In fact, at the reunion I was asked by a career SFOD/SF guy why I DID get out, because I ate that shit up more than anyone they knew! I can't answer the question for anyone but me. Just as you all know that being a Ranger isn't for everybody! In retrospect, I suppose I should have stayed in, and just slid over to the SF side of things as a change--I was burned out, and angry. Seems foolish, but there it is! :D
C Co 1st Ranger Bn
2/78--8/81
RS 2/79
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Lots of opportunities for those who have experience serving in the Regiment for a number of years, thanks to the world security situation. All the same, nothing will ever replace that opportunity to conduct Ranger Ops as a member of the 75th Ranger Regiment and if you're young and can do it, that's certainly something to consider. There is no shortage of individuals who make the claim 'our infantry unit could do almost all the same missions that the Ranger Regiment does', but there is ONLY ONE Ranger Regiment.

Don't know about 'doing it all over again', but once there, it's easier to stay that it ever will be to return. There are plenty who make it there the first time but who are not able to meet the standards later for a return visit.

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”