CBS44 Checks in after Graduating OSUT

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
CBS44
Soldier

Graduated

Post by CBS44 »

Just graduated last week from OSUT and thought I'd check in. It was way easier than I thought it would be, but I still felt challenged in some weirtd way. Overall it was cool. I was disappointed that they offered very few Ranger slots. Two in my platoon, 6 or 7 in the company. If any DEPpers have any questions regarding my time at Ft. Benning, I'd be happy to answer them, though I am still quite new to the Army and haven't done much.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratualtions on graduating OSUT Soldier. You are going to Jump School next, right?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Bell

Re: Graduated

Post by Bell »

CBS44 wrote:Just graduated last week from OSUT and thought I'd check in. It was way easier than I thought it would be, but I still felt challenged in some weirtd way. Overall it was cool. I was disappointed that they offered very few Ranger slots. Two in my platoon, 6 or 7 in the company. If any DEPpers have any questions regarding my time at Ft. Benning, I'd be happy to answer them, though I am still quite new to the Army and haven't done much.
Evidently you didn't get one. Like tossing the dice.

Good to see you moving on and I really appreciate the SITREP. Keep us posted on your progress and duty station. Did you get airborne? Not much info in your post.

RLTW
Bell
Ardent Lady
Tadpole

Post by Ardent Lady »

Great job, soldier! Congratulations. The best is yet to come. I wish you well in whatever comes next for you.
Reverend Mother of the Church of The Yellow River

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
--Herbert Spencer
CBS44
Soldier

Apologies

Post by CBS44 »

My apologies to Rangers Steadfast and Bell for not providing much info, I have a slow inbternet connection and get frustrated easily. No, I did not get an Airborne slot and no RIP slot. Instead it's off to beatiful Ft. Lewis and the 2nd Infantry Division for me. In fact, about 80 percent of the entire company is going to Ft. Lewis.
The truth is, I was kidding myself thinking I was anywhere near the physical shape I would need to be in for RIP and life in a Ranger Battalion. As of my last PT test I did 66 situps, ran the 2-mile in 12:21 and sucked with 53 pushups. To me, that is unacceptable. So, in a way, I am glad that I didn't get a RIP slot - for now anyway. I still have a lot of improvement to make. Which brings up another thing. There were at least five kids in the entire company who enetred with either 11x Opt. 40 or 18x contracts who eventually dropped their slot due to low pt scores or were ELS because they were shitbags. I notice it now, but some people think being a Ranger is as easy as getting it in their contract. Sure, there are those who seem destined for it, but there are more who don't want to work for it.
As for me, in the next four years I will find a way into RIP and eventually the 75th Ranger Regiment.
Spartan

Re: Graduated

Post by Spartan »

Did you get the hardware taken out of your hand before, or not?
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Congrats on becoming a soldier. Ft.Lewis is beautiful. It stays wet there, but you'll get used to it. If you're an outdoorsman, there will be a huge variety of things to do on your off time. Hope you keep us posted. Oh....you can pick a 'big boy' avatar now. :lol:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Post by Guest »

Ranger Spartan ... I still have all the hardware in my hand, not much I could do about it, now. I suppose it's with me the rest of my life.

Ranger Earthpig ... Roger that on the outdoors actrivities, that stuff is right up my alley.

One last thing beforI never really got to thank the rangers that maintain and post on this site. The information available is abundant, and I found myself using stuff in OSUT I had read about on these boards.
Now I'll shut up until I have something else worthwhile.
Parabellum
Ranger

Post by Parabellum »

Congrats and good luck.
"We spoke to them in the only language they understood - the machine gun."

HHC 1/75 Oct 98-Mar 99
B co 1/75 Mar 99-Apr 04
ROC RSTB RIP/PRC Cadre Apr 04-May 06
A co 1/75 May 06-Jul 08
HHC 1/75 Jul 08-Mar 09

RS 3-99

Return to “Letters from School”