DD sends first SITREP

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Earthpig
Ranger

DD gives first SITREP

Post by Earthpig »

I received this letter from DD today. From reading his report, he seems to be doing a fantastic job. Apparently, he lucked out and got some good men in his platoon. Keep up the great work, Troop, and get that RIP slot!
RLTW
EP

Ranger EarthPig,

Here is my first letter from Basic/AIT. I logged in as DD from Houston, TX. I am in my 7th week and things are going well.

I feel like I was pretty prepared when I started Basic, and thanks to ArmyRanger.com, even more prepared. Although, I think each person's OSUT experience is different. I am in XXX Company, XX INF, X Platoon.

The hardest part so far was definately the first 3 weeks. Once you get through those 3 weeks, it lightens up with each passing day. The PT is what you make of it. It is easily possible to come to the Army and be a 'shitbag' and get through. But, if you put out and do what the Drill Sergeants ask, you will be in good shape. I remember the website saying that the PT was easy and does not prepare you, but that has not been my experience so far.

We have around 15 Ranger contracts and all are in pretty good shape, if not in damn good shape. The ability groups ranger from A-C. Our DS's have told us in A Group that by the end of the cycle, we will run 4 miles at a 6-minute pace. If that does not prepare you for Airborne or RIP, I am not sure I understand the standard there.

As for the advice to the "newbies,' enjoy your last few days. Do not get frustrated with Reception Battalion, as it is very boring and tedious. The better endurance you have, the easier it will be. That does not mean that the first few days will be easy, but will be better for you. I would recommend working out, to mucle failure, as much as possible to get your body used to the abuse and failure.

The food is good, but repetittive. You only get 5 minutes to eat your entire meal. Don't bring a list of stuff on the Army packing list. I would bring 1 set of clothes, a shaving kit, and that is it. The less valuable, the better. It has amazed me to see such great people serve this country, and yet steal your valuables from you.

I have not had an opportunity to volunteer for a Ranger contract yet, but am still working for it.We have another PT test next Monday, and after it I will go to the Ranger liason to see if they will accept me. I have heard different stories of some people volunteering for RIP and some not getting the chance. I should be alright, as long as my PT scores are good, but am still concerned because it is not on paper and in a contract. For those who cannot get RIP into their contract, just work on your PT and you may get the chance.

I will write again, when I get a chance and look forward to hearing from you. Til then, have a great life and I will talk with you soon.

Sincerely,
DD
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Thanks for the SITREP DD. Ya still have plenty to go yet. Drive on, stay focused.

Thanks EP. :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Letters from School”