Martial Arts / Looking for advice on picking a school

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RachelG
Embryo

Martial Arts / Looking for advice on picking a school

Post by RachelG »

I know some of you study and I am looking for some advice on picking a school.

What should I be looking for? What questions should I ask?

At the present moment there is a Judo/Jujitsu studio near me and a Korean Tang Soo Do studio. From what I read they both sound interesting and I will go visit the schools next week. Before I go, I wanted to know what questions to ask and what I should be looking for so I can pick the best school for me. I live in Chicago so there are other schools but those are both really convenient.

I also have some interest in Krav Maga but would prefer to start with something that is a little more meditative.

I am looking for something that will improve my coordination, be good exercise, and will give me self-defense training.

Thanks,
Rachel
RideGrrl
Tadpole

Post by RideGrrl »

WTH?

Ummmm. Learn to box.

Do enough of it, and you might reach "meditative" levels like Ali...

8)

Yes this was a smartass answer. Feel free to ignore it.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

People in my area have turned the skill of driving into a martial art and by the zoned out look on most of their faces they are mediacating. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, I am not a martial artist, but go visit several and pick one they you think you like and give it a try. Chicago should give you a lot of options.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

If you want meditative, stay away from Krav. All Krav will teach you is how to close with and destroy. There ain't no meditating or religious influences in Krav. But it is a helluva workout.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
RachelG
Embryo

Post by RachelG »

Thanks for the advice Ranger Flesh Thorn and Ranger Creeping Death.
I will visiting schools in the next couple of weeks including one that teaches Krav Maga.
Rachel
Nomad
Ranger

Rachel

Post by Nomad »

You need to shoot CrashKill an email. He is the resident MMA, NHB, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu headcase around here. Give him a couple of days though, he is really busy for the next couple days.
RachelG
Embryo

Post by RachelG »

Thanks for the suggestion Ranger Matador275. I will write him.
Rachel

Return to “The Mosh Pit”