Letters From Hopping Mad and Phulano

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Ray80
Infantryman

Letters From Hopping Mad and Phulano

Post by Ray80 »

I recieved these letters from two of your members, two guys who have become my friends, Hopps and Fulano. Two of my heroes and fellow youngsters.
Hopps wrote:Hey Ray, Kyle here. I am in my second week of OSUT. It's boring right now because of total control and all the little things we are learning. There are a lot of unmotivated people here. When you get to reception, it's a joke. It's the most boring time you will ever have. The food is real good though. The cake, pies, cookies, and ice cream are great. You also get lots of time to eat it all. Here at OSUT you can't have that. My platoon is only allowed to have what is given to us. No milk, cereal, juice, ice cream, pie, cake, sugar, etc. My platoon is a bunch of fuckups. We get a lot of smoke because of that. I already have shoulder muscles. I never really had those. One of my DS's is a Tabbed Ranger. Only Ranger School. He is a hard ass. He has also served a couple of tours. Once total control is over things will be a lot better. I am in the group for running. I am also confident I am in the running for PL. However, I will see what my DS's decide. The M-16 is a pain in the ass to carry around everywhere, cool nonetheless. Well, I have to go. Talk to you later, Ray.
Fulano wrote:Ray, I'm in week 2 of OSUT and things are going well. The PT is cake, but the smokings are pretty tough for my platoon since we have so many shitbird fatbodies with 18X or OP40 contracts. We get smoked all damn day, but most of these high speed studs just quit during the smokings and cheat during the runs. Fuckers. Every time we get smoked I smile because the drills can't bring enough pain to quit while most will be crying after 10 seconds in the FLR. I just use thier quitting and failing to keep myself motivated. You won't have any problems here, but pray you don't end up in a platoon like mine. We lost half of out free time for showering and shining boots because of all the article 15's that have been handed out.

Don't bring a bag to 30thAG (Reception). You won't have access to it at all and you have to buy everything at the PX. Do yourself a favor and just show up with a toothbrush in your pocket. 30th AG sucks balls! I was there 9 fucking days! It's torture because you don't do anything! You will be looking forward to starting OSUT.

*Name Removed*
Anyway - I'm a squad leader, which is no fun, but I'd rather lead than be led. We do have some good guys here, but they are few and far between...... Got to go. Shoot me a letter before you ship. Come find me if you come here. Hope you're doing well.

Your pal,
Fulano
Some of the material in these SITREPs is no doubt repeated in other letters, but some isn't. Hope it helps us, DEP'rs.

Ray
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Letters From Hopping Mad and Phulano

Post by Earthpig »

Ray80 wrote:The cake, pies, cookies, and ice cream are great. You also get lots of time to eat it all....The M-16 is a pain in the ass to carry around everywhere, cool nonetheless.
:lol: I had to chuckle here....he's showing his youth! Thanks for sharing, Ray. Sounds like all is well so far.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Thanks for sharing Ray. I was glad to read the letters you received. What did you think of their situations Ray?
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Snake Juice
Tadpole

Post by Snake Juice »

Thanks for sharing that Ray the more of that kind of stuff the more motivated I get.
Ray80
Infantryman

Post by Ray80 »

Ranger Steadfast wrote:What did you think of their situations Ray?
Ranger Steadfast, I am glad to see that my two buddies have distinguished themselves as potential leaders. In Phulano's case, as he is mature (he's 22 and has grown up a bit), the Army would probably make him a leader during training anyway. I am not sure if my supervisory experiences in my varied history of civilian jobs will make me a decent leader in the Army and certainly shouldn't be looking that far ahead, so I can follow Phulano's example for now.
I like that FoodBoy has some positive momentum going and the attitude to just go in and follow directions, so that simplifies things.
Both are very patriotic, good guys. I have driven across the state of Wisconsin to link up with them. They are already on thier way to becoming the best. I have to wait 27 more days.
Ray
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Ray80 wrote:
Ranger Steadfast wrote:I am not sure if my supervisory experiences in my varied history of civilian jobs will make me a decent leader in the Army and certainly shouldn't be looking that far ahead, so I can follow Phulano's example for now.
Ray-
Whether you realize it or not, you have already led by example. You've been a positive role model and a healthy influence on Hopps, Phulani, and the rest of the DEPs. I have ZERO doubt that you will be a leader....you already are. Keep setting the standard.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Ray80
Infantryman

8/29, 8/31 SITREPs from Phulano

Post by Ray80 »

8/29 SITREP from Phulano
Fulano wrote:Ray,
I rolled my ankle and sprained my knee last week when I took a spill down a rocky hill. I was on a 5 day profile stating that I could not run, jump, or march. I managed to pull a fast one and get a RTD (Return to Duty) after 3 days, but I regret it now because I'm in serious pain. Oh well - as they say, "pain lets you know you are still alive."

We're out of red phase now and starting to get some slack. The standards keep going up and the PT is picking up too - but we get more free time. You won't have any trouble with it. The hardest thing was the .25 mile run with 40lbs water cans in 3 minutes or less. Even that was doable. Don't worry about shit. This is cake.

*unit and name removed*

Best regards,
Fulano
8/31 SITREP from Fulano
Fulano wrote:Ray,

Just got your letter today. It was good to hear from you. I got a letter out to you a day or two ago, but I wanted to answer your question on smokings.

Ranger EarthPig sent me a letter and on it wrote, "You can't smoke me, Drill Sgt." The DS told me to "PUSH." After I hit about 50 I had to do flutterkicks to about 75 then 50 or so mountain climbers. The DS lets yougo past muscle failure and then switches up the exercises. After mountain climbers I had to "gator walk" around the bay. Gator Walking is walking in the front leaning rest position. I was told to recover after that.

Smokings are limited only by the creativity of the DS's. We also get sent (running of course) to the PT track and back which is .25 mile or so. It's downhill for the first part, but then you have to run back up on the way back. It's a rocky road and hurts to run on. Last monday we did it for like 5 miles during the day. We got smoked the entire fucking day. If you don't run fast enough as a platoon you have to do it again. If anyone cheats or walks you have to do it again. Sometimes it's something that sounds stupid like just holding your arms out a shoulder height, but that gets to hurt. Another favorite is jumping up and kicking your ass with your feet. It sucks.

I'm finishing up my fireguard shift shortly so I'll close for now and write more later. We have a ruck march today and PT in BDU's which sucks. The ruck won't be bad though. We just have to go 4 miles to the M-16 range so we can shoot and march back.

More later,
*Name removed*
Ray80
Infantryman

9/3 SITREP from Hopps

Post by Ray80 »

9/3 SITREP from Hopps
Hopping Mad wrote:Ray--
I started week 5 last Friday. I start qualifying with my M16A4 this Tuesday (7th). I have to tell you that you are going to hate the first three weeks of BCT! It absolutely sucks. You are going to have un-squared away pukes making you get smoked 24/7. They don't call it getting "smoked" anymore, they call it getting torqued. When you get off total control, the DS's lighten up a little bit. Then squad leaders and a platoon guide will be assigned [them].

The smoke sessions get few and far between after the first 3 weeks I got my 2-mile time down to 12:20, my PU's are still 63 in two minutes. For the first 3 weeks when you have classroom, you will learn to love the overhand clap :twisted: . The LRC (Leader Reaction Course) is great, you will have fun. The first three weeks will at first be horrible, but before you know it it will be over. Things are definitely starting to pick up now.

My advice is to PT regularly, but just live up the civilian life. Enjoy time with friends and family as much as possible. I took life for granted before I got here. Well, I'ma close. I don't really have much time to write anymore because at first I was a squad leader. Now I have moved up and reached my goal. I AM THE PLATOON GUIDE!!!! The next pass I get I will call, time permitted.

Later,
*Name removed*
Bell

Post by Bell »

These letters are great. Thanks Ray.

RLTW
Bell
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Thank you Ray for posting these letters. Gee Ray, soon you shall be achieving your dream as you enter the service. Sometime next month, we will be reading your letters. :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Joseph PrettyDeepWater
Ranger

Post by Joseph PrettyDeepWater »

Yea, thanks for the posts Ray80, there is some really good information in those letters. Its much appreciated
RIP Class 02-07
RS Class 09-07
C co. 2/75 Jan 07- Sept 07
D co 2/75 Oct 07- Aug 10
OIF/OEF
Mentored by Ranger Hoover
Mentor to stoicism
Ain't nothin to it but TO DO IT!!!

Return to “Letters from School”