Introduction - Hayden

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

thriftycracker
Egg

Introduction - Hayden

Post by thriftycracker »

Hi, My name Is Hayden and I'm 20 years old. I've always had an interest in the military since I was little, due to pop culture admittedly and family members who served. Throughout middle school the Idea of the military faded because of family issues and my step-dad, retired navy, being pretty anti military, "The people who join are stupid, and you're not." I've now hit a crossroads in life and after a good long talk with my dad the military is now all i think about. It was always about school growing up and I did well, but I hated every second of it and now I'm struggling with the idea of finishing school.
I'm coming to this forum to gain an idea and knowledge of the commitment to becoming not just a Ranger, but any special operations force in general. I'm 20, a man now, and have done absolutely nothing since graduating High School. My mom has a auto-immune disease that attacks her respiratory system and her throat closes sometimes. I spent all of high school and the past three years "taking care of her", which I did, but also used that as a crutch to stay stagnant. I'm tired of looking in the mirror and hating what I see; Excuses, Laziness, and Anxious. I'm tired of being a disappointment to myself. As much as I love her, I can't spend the rest of my life living for other people.
If I were to enlist to any branch, I want to be SOF. It is a commitment and I don't see the point of not going all the way. I'm mainly intrigued in the Army and Rangers specifically due to their use of infantry at a SOF level, the fact that they are fast paced and held to a high standard everyday. I was also interested in Federal LEO; DEA, Marshals, SS. While not required, prior service is heavily in demand for those future jobs. I want to serve, I don't want to do it only because it looks cool. I want to be proud of the job I have and proud of myself.
"What's stopping you?"
As I've said, I have literally done nothing. No working out ever in my life besides a few hikes with my dad when I'd visit, no sports besides when i was a child so I don't count it. I'm about at level 0 as I can be. I have a long way to go, as I want to enlist prepared physically.
2 Minute Maxes
Push-ups: 27
Sit-ups: 19
Mile: Ran a 16 minute mile..
Pull-ups: 6
I know I'm terribly unfit, and that is because of me, no one else.
But I need to start now. Sorry if this is too long.
BlueLiner
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Hayden

Post by BlueLiner »

Hayden,

While those PT scores are indeed low, you have not enlisted yet so you can only go up from here. I will say as well, if you want to go down the road of becoming a Ranger, then you have to commit to the preparation 100%. If you go into this not prepared, then I promise you that you will not succeed.

Tell us what the real reason is that you want to be a Ranger, because I'm guessing there is more to your reasons than those listed above.
Oh, and start reading the Physical Training section on this forum. (Pro tip, 1000's of individuals like yourself have posted their journey's on this forum, some successful, others not. Use their lessons and start preparing!)

Anyways, welcome here and we are looking forward to your next post. Memorize the Ranger Creed and start living by its values.
As a wise Ranger once said, "Never, Never Quit!"
RLTW!
RASP 7-19
RS 9-20
Mentee to Ranger Slowpoke
"Get that lumber in his teeth! Let 'em know you're there!" - Reggie Dunlop
PUT ON THE FOIL!
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction - Hayden

Post by Disinfertention »

thriftycracker wrote: February 19th, 2024, 12:31 pm Hi, My name Is Hayden
Hey Hayden,

As Ranger Blueliner pointed out, you've started and will only improve from here. The key is to try and keep a routine. Start doing reading on exercise and find systems that work best for you. Everyone can give advice on working out but not all systems adapt best to your style and needs.

Besides checking in here it's time to check in with a recruiter. Go see whoever you want. To be SOF at an early part of your career you will have a few specific options. Navy SEALs, Army Special Forces, and Army Rangers. If you don't like swimming then that narrows your choices. I would also avoid taking an 18X contract but research it for yourself before taking my word on it. Physical fitness needs to be your focus if you have no background in that with team sports or otherwise.

Check back in soon.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”