All Of You Future Rangers Read This

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

IntelToad
Ranger

Re: All Of You Future Rangers Read This

Post by IntelToad »

atl456 I was just fucking with you.

Get used to it. :)
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Alright, since we all live in different parts of the country we can't learn land navigation together on the same map. I'm going to post some map reading and military symbol tests for you. We have to work off the same map, so I'm either going to upload it to a file sharing site or email it to you as a PDF. I'm working this out, details to follow.

You don't need a compass for this instruction, it will all be map based.

You are going to need a protractor, I recommend the ones from maptools.com.

If you have an Option 40 contract and don't have a credit card, can't afford it or whatever, I will pay for it and mail it to you. You want to get a 1:50,000 scale protractor, they are cheap. Pick up some extras for because you will lose them.

A good foundation in map reading, topography, resecting azimuths, grid cords and other stuff will give you all a good foundation before you move on to land navigation.

I will consult with the moderators as to where to place the map quiz thread so look out for updates.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
atl456
Ranger

Post by atl456 »

Roger Ranger IntelToad.
RASP class 01-19
SOCM class 05-19
Ranger School class 10-21
2/75
Ambrose26
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Ambrose26 »

Ranger IntelToad,

1. I have read the "Letters From School Thread". The main idea that I took from it is that you don't have to be a PT stud to succeed. Personally this was one of my biggest worries while preparing for RASP and the inevitable excellency that is required by the 75th Ranger Regiment. Prior to joining ArmyRanger.com I had thought that I needed to be able to be the perfect PT stud and that if I couldn't achieve that then I would fail in my journey even though mentally I believe I can make it. Reading these threads has shown me that a strong mind will carry the body farther than someone who possesses a perfect PT score, but lacks the heart and mind necessary to push themselves through any obstacle they encounter. This is not saying that I will slack PT, this just ensures me that as long as my mind is sound, then my body will inevitably follow.

2. Another very important aspect as you stated above is that while going through Basic and Airborne School there will be shitty people. Its a part of life that people will conflict with you and try to bring you down. All of the successful mentees that have now become Rangers said that you just have to avoid the shitty people and find other Option 40's that are driven as you.

3. If you truly want to be a Ranger and earn your scroll every day then you must work for it every day. Lots of mentees who failed RASP lacked the initiative to get the most out of their day. If they had free time they seemed to lose track of their goals. This was most evident when people would leave before or after Airborne School and then fail to make PT standards due to not continuing training and falling of the bus. The successful mentees who are now Rangers were willing to squeeze out their free time and use it for all aspects of preparation. They showed Sua Sponte which is important when trying to live up to the Ranger standard.

4. The Rangers who made it through were driven throughout their entire military career before entering RIP or RASP. They showed that they wanted to be there. They didn't mess around when taking classes at AIT or Airborne. They knew that to be a good Ranger you must first be a good soldier. Ranger Disinfertention told me the same thing, except it was more aimed at FO's. However it is applicable to all military jobs in Regiment. Lots of mentees think that because they want to be a Ranger that the baseline knowledge is not important and that they should learn the Ranger way first. Personally I had thought this same way before talking to Ranger Disinfertention. I though that I needed to learn how to be a Ranger FO before just being a decent FO. The reason for this was that I figured I would get RFS'd if I wasn't a perfect Ranger FO. I know now that successful Rangers were successful soldiers first, and I will do the same.

5. Successful mentees show altruistic behaviors. There have been a lot of threads that I have read that state you should find a good group of guys and laugh about the shitty times together. I have also read numerous books which intertwine with what successful Rangers have said about caring for one another and making sure your brother is squared away. In my eyes being selfless is a great attribute and it is essential for making it through RASP and for having a successful life in the military. Not only does it build trust and camaraderie, but it has been shown time and time again that when you care for someone else before yourself it takes your mind off of yourself and helps you to embrace the suck and succeed at the task no matter the difficulty. When a man fights for himself he is backed only by his shadow, but when a man fights for others he is backed by an army of brothers.

6. Last but certainly not least. Never Quit. Every Ranger shows this ability. After completing RASP Rangers come back to this forum and always stress this. People take this for granted, but this is the foundation on which aspiring Rangers are built. Quitting a selection course just means that you would quit any time that the demands became to much. In RASP RI's are not asking cherries to be perfect. They are asking them to show that no matter the circumstance they will never quit, because surrender is not a Ranger word.
13f Opt. 40
Ship Date: 2017/08/01
LionsDen
Ranger

Post by LionsDen »

Ranger IntelToad,
I wanted to add a couple extra things I've noticed from the dozens of hours I spent reading SITREPS this school year, and the shorter ones I went back and read, having previously skipped them for only being a couple posts long.

1) Take care of yourself. In particular, IvoryCharlie's SITREP stood out for me, but he is by no means alone; Some injuries you can cover up, but others require treatment or they will screw you over regardless of your motivation. The same is to be said for heat casualties, which seemed to be something the SITREPS mentioned frequently.

2) OSUT (or Basic/AIT) seems to be only what you make of it. You cannot glide through and expect to be successful in RASP, but if you really push yourself even when not mandatory, you can set yourself up to be successful. In particular, 60/120s were mentioned but there is sure to be other items dependent on effort.

3) Ranger Jim has mentioned dozens of times the welcome back to Fort Benning after Christmas leave. That seems to be an indicator of people's motivation. While lots of people opted for a "Roger, Ranger Jim" response, I'm sure that those mentees quickly became aware of their personal motivation.

4) Another small thing is take notes and study everything told you until you can repeat it asleep.

5) Reiterating what's already been said, fit in with a good crowd. Ranger XCrunner mentioned during his stay in RIP holdover, they brought in dogs for drugs. Especially in revelation of the Navy SEAL drug problem, it's important to find a good group of Option 40's as early as possible and stick with them. One of the stickied letters, from Pretzel1010, mentioned how he got kicked out of SOCM for underage drinking. This applies to PT and studying as well though, not just avoiding illegal activities.

One thing I don't and hopefully will never understand is the quitters who come back with an attitude. Romaniak was the most recent example in the Letters from School thread, or an individual I remember reading about who got caught up in his lies, posting daily while claiming to be in training and bragging about excessive PT from his Drill Sergeant, or even Future Soldier rwass0401. I feel it shouldn't need to be said that anybody who has become a Ranger deserves the full and unwavering respect of non-Rangers, and especially those that quit.
RASP Class 08-18
RS 03-19
MICO, MIB, 2018-2022
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Okay, you all learned some good stuff by reading those sitreps from those that have gone before you. Stay on top of it.

As far as map reading and military symbology, I will start a thread over at The Mentoring Zone if you wish to participate.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Rednovember
Ranger

Post by Rednovember »

Ranger IntelToad,
I find that the Letters from School thread has been incredibly humbling.
Here are a few patterns I noticed of the successful candidates, and the ones who were not so much.
1. PT. What seems to be the common denominator for a great deal of guys. The ones who come in well-prepared, use the smokings they receive during Basic/ OSUT to improve themselves, and do it on their own as much as possible, seem to be the ones who have a higher probability of making it. Whether it be at night during a brief period of down time, or during the day. They realize that no amount of fitness can prepare them for what they are about to face, so they do not slack with their preparation, but also understand that avoiding injury is paramount.
2. Mindset. The successful guys go in with the attitude of “you’re going to have to kill me before I quit.”
3. Attitude. Staying positive, while having a true desire to learn the skills they are being taught. They lift other teammates up when they are down and motivate them to do better.
4. Company. You become like the people you hang around. The ones who become Rangers do not stay close with the folks who just get by. They only associate themselves with the people who want to exceed the standard and win.
5. Teamwork. Working together as a team to accomplish the given task. Constantly aiming to improve. Driving on to the objective, but also having patience and trust in your team. The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.
6. Determination. The will to never, ever quit.
7. Rumors. Don’t believe any of them.
8. Nothing is given, only earned. Those who earned the tan beret knew that only actions would lead them to accomplish their goal, not talking about it.

Another thing I saw in many of these letters was that it usually doesn’t take much to tell if a candidate really wants it or not. Some of them jeopardized, and even ruined, their chance at becoming a Ranger simply because they couldn’t wait any longer for something like a dip. The immediate gratification was more important at that moment to them than the long-term goal.
11x Option 40
"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mentees, It was a pleasure reading all your comments. It looks like the efforts of Rangers like myself (and all the other Rangers), has been worthwhile. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Pangolin
BANNED

Post by Pangolin »

Ranger IntelToad,

Here are my observations from the Letters from School Thread:

1. PT, PT, PT. OSUT and Airborne offer insufficient preparation. Those who succeed in RASP tend to hit IET prepared, put out 110% during mandatory PT, and spend their off time doing more PT. There is no substitute for physical ability in Regiment.

2. Memorize everything beforehand. Vital knowledge like the Ranger Creed, Ranger history, and Army General Orders can be obtained before even entering the training environment, and will remove a hurdle before the main event.

3. Let quitters fuel your motivation. When the man beside you chooses to throw in the towel, he is doing you a favor. He is removing a man who might quit or underperform on the battlefield.

4. Do not drink, smoke, or as Ranger Jester's story demonstrates, keep any form of contraband in your locker or on your person.

5. Do not keep the company of complainers, slackers, and rumor-slinging privates. They will only drag you down. However, Rangers must work as a team. Find the motivated individuals in your training unit and keep each other going.

6. Take interest in your task. Proactively seek out materials to advance your training, master your essential skills, and pay attention during instruction.

7. Shut up. As a trainee, you know nothing, and have no cause to speak. Ask questions as necessary.

I have downloaded FM 3-25.26 and am reading it immediately.

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”