Introduction - Justin

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

JustinB
Egg

Introduction - Justin

Post by JustinB »

Good Morning,

My name is Justin, and I am 31 years old. As of 4 months ago I made the decision to enlist in the Army. While I know it would have been more advantages for myself to enlist right out of high school; I can honestly say if I had I’m not sure if I would have made the best use of my time. My maturity and priorities were not as well developed as they should have been. Over my life I had considered joining at certain occasions, but mostly for the wrong reasons. It was either because I had lost a job, or felt I had no direction. At every occurrence I sought my creator and asked for wisdom regarding the decision. Each time internally I felt the answer was “not now.”

When I got married, over a year ago I talked to my new wife about the idea. The burden I felt to serve had weighed heavier on me than ever before. My new wife quickly became frighten by the idea, but told me if I felt that God wanted to me to do it then she would follow my lead. So I asked God again, and got the same answer as before. After that, I continued searching for alternative ways to serve. That is when I started running and rucking for the first time in my life.

Almost 8 months later, the burden that had lived inside of me had grown even more. My wife saw it in my face every time a news report came and flashed that another soldier given his life overseas. It was around then, that one day she came into my office and said “If you are going to sit on the couch five years from now and regret not serving than you have to do this.” I honestly had not even thought it was an option since the last time we discussed it. I had put it away in a box and not even considered it a direction. What she said to me unloaded the box right at my feet. I said okay, let’s roll this around in my head again. I took my time weighing my situation, and possible difficulties. I had a good job, a wonderful wife, and a nice home. There were no more excuses. I wasn’t considering it because I needed a job, or because I was lost in life. So I prayed again, but the answer I received this time was considerably different. God said to me, “Its time.” It was then everything clicked into place, and I knew I had locked into the decision.

Later, as I researched what I wanted to do. I came across the Rangers, and the standard they hold themselves to. I realized that those were the kind of soldiers I wanted to be around. I want to stand next those who have the fortitude to endure anything, and the attitude to never quit, no matter how bad things become. I committed myself to that pursuit, and have allowed the intensity demanded to push myself to do things I have never done before.

With all that being said, I am struggling with some aspects of training. Also I have some obstacles to overcome. That is why after being a reader of this forum for some time; I finally decided to introduce myself in order to be able to ask some questions.

My PT training baseline right now is not where I want it to be, but I am incrementally improving, as I use to never be able to run even a mile.

Here is where I am at.

I am 5’11” and I weigh 230lbs.

I have already lost 20lbs.

Running: 2 miles in 16 Minutes - I struggle horribly beyond that.

Push-Ups: 45 in 2 Minutes

Sit-Ups: 50 in 2 minutes

Pull-Ups: 2

Rucking: I have not measured myself as of yet.

I have been focusing a lot on my running right now, because I know that is where I am weakest at the moment.

Thank you all for your time, and I look forward to your insight.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Justin

Post by Jim »

Welcome, Justin. You may find this link helpful:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75thranger/
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867