RFID Credit Cards

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Grunt
Ranger

Re: RFID Credit Cards

Post by Grunt »

+1

Yup, I have those little sleeves for my cards and ppt.

Grunt
A co 1-502 10/84 - 12/85
CSCo 4-327 01/85 - 08/87
C co 1-17 09/87 - 02/88
RS Class 02-87
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I always just ask the bank and credit card companies to send normal cards. These damn RFID cards are causing more problems than they are alleviating.

Sent from my iPhone using rocks and sticks.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Great information. Washington state issues an enhanced driver's license, the next best thing to a passport, and it has one of these chips in it. When they issue the card it comes with a special cover to block the ability to scan without your knowledge. Won't be long until we're all known by our card numbers and not our names.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Me personally, I just hold banks and other financial institutions accountable for their shitty security-theater. Because that is what a lot of it is -theater. Here in the US, the onus for security falls to the banks, although they try not to advertise that.

I am fairly uptight when it comes to practicing good personal security - physical, technical or otherwise. I live with the mantra "There is no such thing as secure, only secure enough". Because that is the truth of it. As technology evolves, so will the attacks against it. Individuals do not have the resources to combat advances in fraud, etc. whereas banks do. The profits they reap far outweigh the losses they end up covering, so to them the risk is bearable. As we start to hear more about fraud in the Billions, I wager we'll start to hear about banks doing more to step up their security game.

Introducing a technology that provide convenience (tap-n-pay), but introduces potentials weakness in security - that's just fucking stupid. Problem is that "the masses" just love them some convenience. I am still watching the whole Apple Pay thing. At least with that you have to provide a fingerprint to activate the payment, and it is my understanding the code sent is like a one-time thing, so cloning is not an issue.

But like I said, no such thing as secure....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Grunt
Ranger

Post by Grunt »

RangerX wrote:There is no such thing as secure, only secure enough.
Very true.

I remember when my bank was charging for "fraud detection." I was thinking, "hey, you stand more to lose from this than I do." Of course that was the truth, but they wouldn't miss out on an emotional angle to earn a buck. Now, its becoming a standard for most banking. They have to protect your account or it looks really bad for them. Talk about an emotional angle. Turn about is fair play.

Grunt
A co 1-502 10/84 - 12/85
CSCo 4-327 01/85 - 08/87
C co 1-17 09/87 - 02/88
RS Class 02-87

Return to “The Mosh Pit”