Under Rainier’s crater, a natural laboratory like no other

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerX
Ranger

Under Rainier’s crater, a natural laboratory like no other

Post by RangerX »

Below the ice cap at Mount Rainier’s summit lies a network of otherworldly grottoes explored this summer by scientists and cavers.

Bill Lokey planted his ice ax in the crumbly slope and scanned the cavern with his headlamp.

Counting all the ups and downs, he had climbed more than 15,000 feet to get here — past yawning crevasses and over cliffs where a single misstep could send a rope team tumbling. His party was pummeled by a lightning storm so ferocious it stood one woman’s hair on end. Gale-force winds threatened to shred their tents.

But now, the grin on Lokey’s face said it had been worth it.

Full Story

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thought the Dagobah based Rangers might enjoy this.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rangerjd
Ranger

Re: Under Rainier’s crater, a natural laboratory like no oth

Post by rangerjd »

That was a great read, thanks for posting. I've had the opportunity to climb Mt Rainier twice, in 84 and 85, and I've heard of the Ice Caves. It is an Incredible mountain, I would love to scale it again and take a tour of the Ice Caves. Thanks again.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux

Return to “The Mosh Pit”