Thoughts on RASP and Advice for the Mentees

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
jth456

Thoughts on RASP and Advice for the Mentees

Post by jth456 »

Ranger Jim,

My apologies for this post being a little bit late. Things have been a bit busy getting ready for in processing.

Mentees,

My name is John and I am now one of the newest members of the 75th Ranger Regiment. About two weeks ago, I donned the tan beret and got my scroll a long with the rest of my brothers in RASP class 09-13. Welcome to the site. You have all made a great decision. Some of you may have read my SITREPS that I had been posting throughout my journey to becoming a Ranger. I want you all to read my other post about my tips for preparing for RASP. You can find it in this forum. The title of it is, "Going into pre-RASP: Letter for the mentees". RASP, to me, was all a mind game. A true test to see just how much you waned to be there. Sure, the physical aspects of it were challenging, but if you are already maxing your PT tests, can complete a 5 mile run in 35 minutes or less (yes, I know the standard is 40... But you need to be getting under 35), and can complete a 12 mile ruck in under three hours, then all of the physical training shouldn't be hard to you. Get in all of the workouts you can before you come here. I can't even stress how important it is that you need to be a PT stud. Take care of your body, feed it the right nutrients, and work hard. Another thing that you need to start doing now is memorizing and perfecting the Ranger Creed! Repeat it at least twice a day and if you fuck up, do as every Ranger on here has said, do push-ups for your mistakes. When you get to pre-RASP, volunteer to say the creed in front of your peers whenever the cadre ask for their six. You may think you have it perfected, but it's a lot different trying to say it in front of an entire RASP class with cadre constantly in your face. Also, do not be an individual! You will learn very quickly that you need to work as a team to fully operate at your best. We didn't have anyone dropped from peer evals but there definitely were some shit bags that slipped through the cracks. Other than that, just don't be a bitch when you get here. Keep your mind straight, focus on your goals, and don't quit! But remember, RASP is only your entry to a new beginning. Like the cadre have told us, we haven't done shit yet and to them, we have a lot longer until we truly earn our berets and a spot in the Regiment and I couldn't agree more. Although I can't even explain how much of a positive transformation I have noticed in myself, I still realize that I am a cherry to the 75th. I'm looking forward to the years to come and will give it my all and even more to earn my place everyday and to stay in this unit. Best of luck, mentees. Hopefully I'll see some of you in the future over in 3rd Battalion.

RLTW!!!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Thoughts on RASP and Advice for the Mentees

Post by Jim »

John, Excellent SITREP! I can't tell you how proud I am of you and your accomplishments. You have come a long way; but as you said, you are only beginning your new life. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
jth456

Re: Thoughts on RASP and Advice for the Mentees

Post by jth456 »

Roger Ranger Jim!

Return to “Letters from School”