Resigning a commission to sever in 75th/SF

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

CatFish Driver
Ranger

Re: Resigning a commission to sever in 75th/SF

Post by CatFish Driver »

GypsyRoll wrote:
PocketKings wrote:I know of several officers that have resigned thier commision to pursue other things. One of our own board members here resigned his commision to go warrant and fly. My best friend is an SF Major with 2 combat jumps with 3/75. He came REAL close to resigning his commission so he could stay in the field. My old BN Chemical NCO was a former O-4 who got out, resigned his commission, enlisted and was pursuing SF.

You never know what goes on in them mind of some folks.
Sir, did he resign his commission or merely take a demotion?

(I ask, because I hear those in his case start out at W2 instead of W1.)
I resigned my commission specifically because I wanted to be a Warrant Officer. I was a WO1 for about 6 months until the paperwork caught up to me and then I pinned CW2. I technically was a CW2 the entire time, and I got all my back pay. Best decision I ever made career-wise.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CatFish Driver wrote:I resigned my commission specifically because I wanted to be a Warrant Officer. I was a WO1 for about 6 months until the paperwork caught up to me and then I pinned CW2. I technically was a CW2 the entire time, and I got all my back pay. Best decision I ever made career-wise.

I have heard this comment frequently.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Mwalimu
Ranger

Post by Mwalimu »

Maybe the most famous example of this was in the UK. TE Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) resigned his commission in the British Army after WW1 and subsequently enlisted in the RAF in 1923. His cottage during his initial service was near Wool in Dorset (near the Tank Museum (highly recommend a visit if you're in the neighborhood)).

Another example that I remember reading about was in 1967 when I was in SFTG at Bragg. I don't remember the paper but it was the local post paper or SFTG paper. There was a story about a Captain in the Canadian Army who had resigned his commission and had enlisted in SF. He was actually there (according to the story) at Bragg going through light weapons (if I remember right). I'd really appreciate any further information about this.
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

I cant remember his name but we had a young CPT attending RIP when I was there that found out he has been involuntarily branch tranfered. He went to the RCO (Gen Grange) and stated that he would rather be an E-5 team leader in BN than a finance officer.....the paper was processed and he went to 3-75 as a new Sgt.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

rgrpuck wrote:I cant remember his name but we had a young CPT attending RIP when I was there that found out he has been involuntarily branch tranfered. He went to the RCO (Gen Grange) and stated that he would rather be an E-5 team leader in BN than a finance officer.....the paper was processed and he went to 3-75 as a new Sgt.
What people tend forget is that you get your pension at your highest grade held. So if you really hate being a staff officer (usually begins at O4) in a support unit, you still have the option to go and do what you love with the troops instead of being removed from the process by powerpoint.

For me being in the Guard was an escape from my regular job (which as a planner is staff to a decision maker). I stayed ABN as long as I could, but after 1996 the ABN units started to go away and become far and few between in the USAR and NG. It got to the point of me doing the same crap at a desk for more than 22 days a month....something had to snap..either I got out completely or found an NCO position.

I saw it happen twice in the PA ARNG with the 104th LRSD. A hard charging CPT would leave command of the LRS and then find out how bad the rest of the "leg" guard sucked and he'd resign and come back to us as an E6 team leader. Then bastards eliminated the 104th after they came back from Ramadi in '06.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
CHCB
Ranger

Post by CHCB »

Resigning is not necessarily a huge financial sacrifice, anyway. If you've got at least 10 years commissioned service when you do so, you still retire at your highest sucessfully-held commissioned grade.
2nd PLT A co 1/75 78-80
Ranger Class 502-79
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Richard Cranium wrote:
panthersix wrote:I saw it happen twice in the PA ARNG with the 104th LRSD. A hard charging CPT would leave command of the LRS and then find out how bad the rest of the "leg" guard sucked and he'd resign and come back to us as an E6 team leader. Then bastards eliminated the 104th after they came back from Ramadi in '06.
Damn good unit from what I knew of them. Worked "right down the road from them a few miles" in 2005. Went through PF with one of their team leaders in June 2007, and they were still around, but waiting to be disbanded. He was pretty distraught about it, with no other worthwhile units to go to. He said everyone was getting out, or going to try out for 20th Grp.

I know you spent some time with them. He was the TL that lost a medic and ATL to and IED in Ramadi; It's likely that you knew him.
Understand that when City Troop deployed to the Balkins several years ago, a number of officers who had been in the unit, resigned their commissions to deploy as NCOs.
http://www.firsttroop.com/history.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Musashistudent3108
Embryo

Post by Musashistudent3108 »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:
ksalik2 wrote:Sivlerback, could you please elaborate on this sir? Thank you

KCS
I think he was saying that if an Officer received a "Officer Career killing Eval" and stood a snowballs chance in the Arizona desert of having a decent career as an Officer...he might resign his commission and go enlisted. With that, he may choose to pursue SF or Regt. I cant say I have ever seen an Officer in good standing resign his commission just to do this, but its a big Army.

I am an Officer in good standing who is doing this.

I pushed my packet up for personnel action last month.

The reason why is because I am in the National Guard and can't stand it. I would rather be an E-4 in the Regiment, than be an Officer with limited opportunities for advancement, doing something I love two days out of the year, and merely existing the rest of time.

Although I do agree this is rare, but not totally unheard of.
1/214th FA GA ANG 2009-2011
3/108th CAV (R&S) GA ANG 2011-2013

"think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world"- M. Musashi
"a pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood"- G.S. Patton
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain" - M. Musashi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Musashistudent3108 wrote: I am an Officer in good standing who is doing this.

I pushed my packet up for personnel action last month.

The reason why is because I am in the National Guard and can't stand it. I would rather be an E-4 in the Regiment, than be an Officer with limited opportunities for advancement, doing something I love two days out of the year, and merely existing the rest of time.

Although I do agree this is rare, but not totally unheard of.
As I said it is not unheard of.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “The Mosh Pit”