Introduction: Triggerfish

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Triggerfish
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction: Triggerfish

Post by Triggerfish »

Hello everyone my name is Jake and first let me thank all of the veterans on this site for their service. I am 19 years old and graduated from from a small town high school in Ohio last year. I am leaving for Fort Benning on April 22 with an 11x option 40 contract for 4 years and 19 weeks. I have been a lurker on this site for a couple months doing a lot of reading and finally decided to make a account.
Being in the military has always been something that has interested me from a young age, especially the Rangers. I can still remember reading about the Rangers as a little kid and thinking that all this crazy stuff sounded awesome, getting able to do all of that AND get paid for it? Too good to be true. I did pretty well in school and slowly through the years let people talk me out of it and into the whole "college life" thing. Well I attended Kent State University in the fall of 2012 and quickly decided that school was not what I wanted to be doing with my life right now. After a couple months of of doing really nothing with my life, I decided I needed " a plan" and the sense of adventure, camaraderie, and professionalism I always associated with the Rangers really sucked me back in. I enlisted on February 12. So here I am behind this computer screen excitedly counting down the days until I get a opportunity to earn my place amongst you.

PT
Pushups: 59
Si-ups: 62
Run: 14:28

My PT started way lower when I enlisted because I hadn't worked out in probably 8 months so I am happy with these scores as they have been steadily improving. I have been following the pushup plan on this site and it definitely works! I try to do a lot of trail running and have also found swimming to be a really awesome workout. I have many dreams of all the cool schools and possibilities in the military, but for now I am following the advice I have seen on this site over and over and keeping my "sights on the 25 yard line" which for me right now is mentally and physically preparing myself for basic training and the military lifestyle.
Don't talk about it, be about it

FS SHIP DATE 20130422
MichaelS
Ranger

Re: Introduction: Triggerfish

Post by MichaelS »

PM inbound, Triggerfish.
A Co, 3/75.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome, please tell me why you want to be a Ranger and what you have been doing to prepare yourself.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Jake.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Triggerfish
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Triggerfish »

Thank you to all the Rangers for the welcome.
Ranger Jim, I want to be a Ranger because I want to be a person that gives 100%, no matter what, every single day and to surround myself with people who are the same. I want to be part of a team that is more than a team, but a family and a brotherhood. I want to travel the world, meeting all different kinds of people, and doing crazy things that others can't/won't. And of course, I want to be a warrior. Now it's just time to give it all up and make that happen.
For preparation I have been going to my weekly pt events at my recruiting office as well as working on my own. I run between 1-5 miles everyday (plan on raising this slowly until I leave). I have been following the pushup plan on here as well as doing some swimming. I used to be on the swim team so I know how to make a good swim workout. I've been spending a lot of time with the family and getting all of my finances in order before I leave. My main goal is to get to basic healthy, not hurt, and mentally prepared. I may not be a machine when I get to basic, but it will come. Two mile is now down to 12:43 which has me feeling good! Also once a week I go to Mohican State Park and "ruck" a 9 mile loop with LOTS of elevation change. I have been using one of those backpacking backpacks with the skeleton and filling it up with 25 pounds as well.

FS SHIP DATE 20130422
Triggerfish
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Triggerfish »

Thank you to all the Rangers for the welcome.
Ranger Jim, I want to be a Ranger because I want to be a person that gives 100%, no matter what, every single day and to surround myself with people who are the same. I want to be part of a team that is more than a team, but a family and a brotherhood. I want to travel the world, meeting all different kinds of people, and doing crazy things that others can't/won't. And of course, I want to be a warrior. Now it's just time to give it all up and make that happen.
For preparation I have been going to my weekly pt events at my recruiting office as well as working on my own. I run between 1-5 miles everyday (plan on raising this slowly until I leave). I have been following the pushup plan on here as well as doing some swimming. I used to be on the swim team so I know how to make a good swim workout. I've been spending a lot of time with the family and getting all of my finances in order before I leave. My main goal is to get to basic healthy, not hurt, and mentally prepared. I may not be a machine when I get to basic, but it will come. Two mile is now down to 12:43 which has me feeling good! Also once a week I go to Mohican State Park and "ruck" a 9 mile loop with LOTS of elevation change. I have been using one of those backpacking backpacks with the skeleton and filling it up with 25 pounds as well.

FS SHIP DATE 20130422
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Thanks for your response. Read all the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Most questions you might have are already addressed. The search feature located on the top right of this page is your friend. Please review the Ranger Creed and begin memorizing it and living by it.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Triggerfish, I sent you a PM last night & I see you opened it.
Be sure to go post in the Mentoring Zone you now have access.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”