introduction - Cory

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

emer
Egg

introduction - Cory

Post by emer »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Cory, age, 26 years old. Right up until 2011 I was a student in the College of Engineering at a State University in the Midwest. My Junior year of high school I Enlisted in the MC (2005), I left for Recruit training a year later and two months in I was ELS'd for reasons beyond my control. In 2008, I had an opportunity to go back into the military (specifically the 18X program) the same month I was accepted into College with full tuition paid, I chose College, thinking the opportunity would still be their after and I wanted to bring more to the table i.e. a degree. After a semester of College I new I had made the wrong choice and my window of opportunity was hastily closing, I have been trying to Re-enlist ever since. My reasons for striving to stand among the elite are not much different than anyone else. There's just something special about belonging to a team/group/regiment of extraordinary experts who also happen to be your brothers.

- I hold a solid B- GPA
- HS Varsity swimmer and Collegiate Swim Instructor
- 265 PFT. Max pull-ups, Max sit-ups, and a slow 22 minute 3 mile. I plan on running the Bolder, Boulder next year and a few other 10Ks to test my distance and lower my average time per mile, in the mean time I run long distances twice per week.
- My DD 214 codes, RE-3F and JGA-1 (common among MC ELS'd Recruits or so I'm told). Requires a waiver to Enlist.
- Broken Ulna&Radius (from performing double-ups at my local gym). 2 plates, 12 screws, retained hardware. Requires Waiver.
- 4 minor possessions of alcohol and a few speeding tickets. Requires moral waiver. Haven't had a ticket for speeding in a year and a half. I don't drink or use tobacco anymore that was enough for me, nothing more, nothing less. Anyways, it kills my gains.

A little bit about my Recruitment process over the past 4 years. Recruitment has changed since 2008, as we all know, all branches are downsizing. no longer does someone in my position have access to the 18X, option 40, or SEAL challenge contracts upon enlistment for AD, hell the USCG and USAF went out the window the second I stepped off of MCRD-San diego with an ELS and ill be lucky just to get in a Military branch. period. My goals haven't changed just the path to get their has, enlisting and serving some good time and proving myself to my peers and my chain of command is what i will have to do. Only then will I be dropping my packet for selection. So I go back to a USMC recruiter and found a salty Gunnery Sergeant that was one month from retiring and said he would get me approved, three weeks later I broke my arm and had to wait a year for a medical waiver now. 12 months later and the second I was able to do push-ups again, I contacted that same USMC station, they weren't interested.

After calling around and hitting dead ends with AD recruiters from the Army and Marines I found an Army Guard recruiter in Colorado who believed the 18X-ray would be an option or even the 1-157th Infantry Regiment. So, In January of 2012 I moved down to Denver, Colorado (850 miles away) and began the process at MEPs. During this process I took full advantage of the foot hills for hiking and climbing in the area. Medical and RE-code waiver were approved easily and I also was medically approved for Airborne. Lastly, My moral waiver had to go up to the G1. First time it was denied, reason being and I quote "This one should wait 6 to 9 months without getting in trouble". One week later the MSG called me for an interview for a recommendation of approval. That was in August. Still haven't heard anything back. I also heard that as of last night Active Duty is no longer taking waivers of any kind until further notice, from what I understand (or at least what Ive been told) this kind of thing changes ever few days. Anyways digress..Never Quit!
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: introduction - Cory

Post by Steadfast »

After a semester of College I new I had made the wrong choice
Welcome emer.

When I saw knew (which I read, you didn't say) yes, it was the wrong choice ironically.

Use the search feature located at the top right for you answers to your questions.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome Cory. The search feature is your friend. Most questions have been addressed at least once.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Cory.

RLTW!!!