NSA Refuses to release secret Obama Directive-Cybersecurity

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

NSA Refuses to release secret Obama Directive-Cybersecurity

Post by Steadfast »

NSA Refuses to release secret Obama Directive on Cybersecurity

Order may allow military takeover of internet

Steve Watson
Infowars.com
Nov 21, 2012

The National Security Agency has refused to release details of a secret presidential directive which experts believe could allow the military and intelligence agencies to operate on the networks of private companies, such as Google and Facebook.
As we reported last week, an article in the Washington Post, cited several US officials saying that Obama signed off on the secret cybersecurity order, believed to widely expand NSA’s spying authorities, in mid-October.
“The new directive is the most extensive White House effort to date to wrestle with what constitutes an “offensive” and a “defensive” action in the rapidly evolving world of cyberwar and cyberterrorism.” the report states.

Story
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: NSA Refuses to release secret Obama Directive-Cybersecur

Post by rangertough »

That's damn funny. A "Military takeover of the internet". How? The Army can barely keep connectivity much less defend itself or attack anyone else in the "cyberworld".

Unless they get Anonymous or some organization like that to assist (not a chance) the "takeover"will be short, painful and a failure.

The Military is an organization that really is excellent at a lot of things (more than most organizations), good at many more but cyber anything the Military just blows.

Good article but it's half a bubble off plumb thinking the Military would be the spearhead.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote:That's damn funny. A "Military takeover of the internet". How? The Army can barely keep connectivity much less defend itself or attack anyone else in the "cyberworld".

Unless they get Anonymous or some organization like that to assist (not a chance) the "takeover"will be short, painful and a failure.

The Military is an organization that really is excellent at a lot of things (more than most organizations), good at many more but cyber anything the Military just blows.

Good article but it's half a bubble off plumb thinking the Military would be the spearhead.

Tough
Concure.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Just remember what the "D" in DARPA stands for. Also, it wouldn't actually take much at all for the Feds to "cut off" the US portion of the internet from the rest of the world...

For what it's worth, we are in the middle of another cold war, being fought in cyber space. It is centered on financial, corporate & infrastructure systems, and it is happening real time.

An example:
The company I work for makes infrastructure software used in all areas of IT these days. Our corporate network has been under constant barrage for the last 9 months. I get weekly emails detailing the latest steps to "secure" our infrastructure, all of which are not much more than security theatre. While difficult to trace, much of the traffic is being attributed to countries that the USA openly does business with.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “The News Dump”