Option 40

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Altair1017
Embryo

Option 40

Post by Altair1017 »

Hello Rangers, I need some light shed on my enlistment process. I am back from MEPs and was fully cleared no issues at all. My recruiter is telling me that there are no option 40s available and none will be for a very long time. He is really trying to get me to enlist with just a 11x contract for standard infantry and that I will be recruited for airborne and RASP at OSUT. I really want to stick to my guns and hold out for a guarentee. I was perfectly happy with waiting 6 months for a contract and PTing my butt off. But now I see some talk on this forum that there will never me option 40 contracts and that its better to get airborne and RASP at OSUT. I need to know straight up what everyone's opinion is. I want to get to the 75th ASAP but I want to ensure that I can get the chance to try out.

Edit: Also as of right now I told my recruiter that I am going to hold out for the 11x option 40. But he says if I do that they will terminate my packet. And if/when I get that contract I will have to redo everything including my 12 hour MEPS day. I am willing to do that for an option 40 but I would really rather not have to do all that again. But my only choice if I dont want to redo the whole process is to take the standard infantry contract and pray I get airborne at RASP at OSUT which as I said I dont want to do either. So my conflict is clear, its all very frustrating. Thank you all for time and service. Josh
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: Option 40

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Ok, I'll bite..

Do you ever play "Texas Hold-'em"? You are holding a 5 & Jack. The recruiter is the Chinese cat with the sunglasses and an I-Pod. The thing is you have x-ray eyes and can see he has a ten and a two. The turn/river/flop is 5-5-6. The whole time he is talkin' mad-shit, "You numbah ten, round-eye! No numbah One! " So to quote Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
If all you have to do is wait a bit longer to spend a day at MEPS again, how bad could it be to get exactly what you want? Right now you are holding the cards.

So, do you feel lucky?
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Lennie Small
Inprocessing

Post by Lennie Small »

My recruiter called me a week ago and reserved an 11xOpt40 that popped up. I finished MEPS and swore in about 5 hours ago.

11XOpt40's do exist still but they are rare.
A co 3/75

If one's sword is broken, he will strike with his hands. If his hands are cut off, he will press the enemy down with his shoulders. If his shoulders are cut away, he will bite through ten or fifteen enemy necks with his teeth. Courage is such a thing.-- Hagakure
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excelent SITREP! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Altair1017
Embryo

Post by Altair1017 »

Thank you Ranger Sleepy Doc and Ranger Jim. Congrats lennie, maybe I'll see you downrange one day. But the way my enlistment is going I'll be starting OSUT when you hit your 20 lol.

Return to “Recruitment Process”