Re: Are there recruiters at American embassies abroad?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
man_on_mission40
Embryo

Post by man_on_mission40 »

Dear Rangers,

Thank you again for your service, and the time you've taken to reply to all of my posts. I have a question regarding the presence of recruiters or military liaisons working at American embassies. Presently, I live with my Thai wife and 1 year old daughter in Ubonratchathani, Thailand where she teaches Japanese at the local university and I play "daddy-daycare" while working as a freelance Thai linguist. For the sake of disclosure, without delving too deeply into the boring details of how I came to live here, I initially served as a missionary for the LDS church ('97-'99), came back to attend university then work ('04-'07), and moved back for the final time in '09 until the present. My wife and I are planning on moving our family back to the states with the express intention of me enlisting in the Army Rangers. Unfortunately, we will have to physically relocate back to my home state of NY before I can even begin a dialogue with a recruiter and negotiate an option 40 contract. My wife is under contract at her university, thus, I am somewhat limited in my ability to move forward with my plans. It would help me greatly if there were an attache or liaison of sorts at the embassy in Bangkok with whom I could begin the all important dialogue regarding how to secure my ticket to RASP and hopefully [fingers crossed] the Rangers.

In addition, my wife is obviously enthusiastic about the move and becoming a U.S. citizen, and we have even discussed the possibility of her enlisting after I'm through with my training. She has a BA and MA in Japanese and would even consider OCS after obtaining citizenship. It would be nice to know whether or not someone in the American embassy or over at JUSMAGTHAI could address these issues - a 10 hour train ride down to Bangkok is certainly preferable over a 4 month wait and a 24 hour flight back to the U.S. I apologize to all the Rangers on this site in advance if this question is inappropriate.

With the utmost respect,

man_on_mission40
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Theoretically, you should be able to talk to someone. I've known mil dependents (soldiers's kids) to enlist from Germany and Korea.

Having that much time overseas, and a foreign national wife may slow down a security clearance, but can't really speak to that.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
man_on_mission40
Embryo

Re: Security clearance w/ foreign national wife

Post by man_on_mission40 »

Thank you Ranger KW Driver,

I will contact the embassy via email and see if I get any bites. Touching on your comment regarding my eventual security clearance, I was in fact denied my clearance the first time around (USMC signed contract for SIGINT, revoked in boot), which the third party ex-Navy intel guy stated that the reason was just that - too much time overseas. I have looked over the guidelines for adjudicators, and it states that if one resides in a nation wherein coercion is known to exist or has direct ties [spouse etc.] in a country where the same applies, then it becomes grounds for disqualification. But ultimately, it would seem to me to be the adjudicator's call. I've never known Thailand to be a hotbed of extremism or coercion, and the fact that JUSMAGTHAI conducts over 40 joint training exercises a year with the Royal Thai Military and maintains a headquarters in their compound would speak to Thailand being a strategic regional ally. Moreover, U.S. Army SF counts Thai as one of the ten key languages pivotal in its overall mission, and since I'm fluent in it, I would think that would make me an asset rather than a liability.

Worst case scenario, if I'm denied my clearance will that keep me out of RASP? The first time around, I joined at 31, this time I'll be 36 - I'm not putting my wife and baby through all of this, or my body for that matter, just to turn around and spout secrets to a country that is ostensibly our ally. I'm an American, a New Yorker, and a patriot - I was downtown on 9/11, I saw the wreckage with my own eyes. I apologize for my obvious frustration, and realize the game needs to be played by the rules for the sake of OPSEC and national security. Well, I've heard others say that nothing is a deal-breaker, and there are exceptions to every rule - let's hope someone sees my intent for what it really is.

If there are any Rangers who might know more regarding my particular situation, I would appreciate any and all advice and/or criticism. Thank you to all the Rangers serving and who have served, past and present.

With the utmost respect,

man_on_mission40

Return to “Recruitment Process”