Color Deficiency

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Eproffitt15
Egg

Color Deficiency

Post by Eproffitt15 »

Hello Rangers,

I am looking forward to serving in the United States Army after High School, hopefully as a Ranger. I have one problem though; I have red-green color deficiency, commonly referred to as color blindness. It is an extremely minor case. I DO NOT SEE IN BLACK AND WHITE. Most people think that is what color blindness is. My case is I cannot distinguish very similar shades of either very dark or very light reds and greens. I cannot pass a PIP Test, but i can pass other tests in which I have to put colors in the correct order based on brightness. I've been told you only have to be able to distinguish Vivid Red and Vivid Green, which I can do. My questions are as follows:
1) Do the Army Rangers let in people with minor color deficiency?
2) If any Rangers or Infantry soldiers remember taking the color deficiency tests, can you describe how the tests were? As much detail as possible.
3) Have any soldiers been tested on the Vivid red and Vivid green test? Can you tell me what it is?
I have yet to find a legitimate answer to my question on the internet. The online recruiter didn't even answer my question. On a side note, I can max out the pt and have a 4.0 GPA. Will this help me get into the Rangers?
Thank you
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Color Deficiency

Post by Steadfast »

Eproffitt15 wrote:Hello Rangers,

I am looking forward to serving in the United States Army after High School, hopefully as a Ranger. I have one problem though; I have red-green color deficiency, commonly referred to as color blindness. It is an extremely minor case. I DO NOT SEE IN BLACK AND WHITE. Most people think that is what color blindness is. My case is I cannot distinguish very similar shades of either very dark or very light reds and greens. I cannot pass a PIP Test, but i can pass other tests in which I have to put colors in the correct order based on brightness. I've been told you only have to be able to distinguish Vivid Red and Vivid Green, which I can do. My questions are as follows:
1) Do the Army Rangers let in people with minor color deficiency?
2) If any Rangers or Infantry soldiers remember taking the color deficiency tests, can you describe how the tests were? As much detail as possible.
3) Have any soldiers been tested on the Vivid red and Vivid green test? Can you tell me what it is?
I have yet to find a legitimate answer to my question on the internet. The online recruiter didn't even answer my question. On a side note, I can max out the pt and have a 4.0 GPA. Will this help me get into the Rangers?
Thank you
I can see you haven't bothered to search these forums, rather you want the easy way out - Rangers (prospective Rangers) do research. I put color blindness in search. We've had many convo's on this subject.
Your last sentence, if you have a quitters attitude, you will never make it.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Eproffitt15
Egg

Post by Eproffitt15 »

Sorry for posting a similar question to previous ones on the forums... I now realize you guys do not appreciate people who are too lazy to search the topic. I have searched the topic though, and I searched it again after reading your post to see if there was something I missed, but still could not find out the answer to my question on the vivid red and vivid green test. Can anybody whos taken it before tell me what the process is? Also, in regards to my last sentence, I was just seeing if that would help me get a waiver for my color deficiency... I have every intent of enlisting after high school no matter what position i get. thank you and I wont post about such a heavily discussed topic again
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Having a 4.0 & a max PT score as such will not get you into the Rangers. Being the kind of person who maxes or exceeds the standards is the kind of person who gets into the Rangers. You already get that, I hope.
Sorry, I can't help on the eyesight issue, except to forewarn you that in the current environment, any situation requiring a waiver is much less likely to be approved. Give this your best, but consider some "Plan Bs."
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You know what the difference between landing out front of Midtown Deli and landing on the tarmac is? Red and Green. Well, Amber too. But I'm sure you get the point....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
UnholyInfidel
Embryo

Post by UnholyInfidel »

I'm no ranger. I'm red/green deficient as well. So my "options" we're medic and some
Other mos's. Good thing I wanted to be a medic. BUT when I picked my job and signed for it
At MEPS the army civilian that does this for you does not care, I even told him I don't qualify and that had no effect. He offered me 11x and 11b and all sorts of mos's that are "off limits" to colorblind. Just go though the recruitment process and sign w.e you want. With colorblindness I still got a physical profile of 11111 which qualifies me for RASP. (which i dont have yet) As a trainee like me you can only control one thing, your PT score, so do it.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Hey there hot shot, If you don't have the airborne physical administered by the Doc at MEPS, you can't get an airborne contract, a RASP slot, 18x, or 92R, or any other MOS or option that requires Airborne School. If you are R/G color deficient, the doc isn't going to sign off on the airborne physical. If you don't have that fancy airborne phys. stamp on your physical, the guidance counselor can't give you the MOS/option. If he does, then he is putting himself at risk.

Who are you anyways, and why are you giving advice on something that you obviously know very little about?
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Oh, and I see you are in AIT and are trying to get a RASP slot. If you get said RASP slot, you will still have to go get an airborne physical, at which point they will see that you are R/G deficient.

From AR 40-501

"(4) For Airborne and Special Forces training: Failure to pass the PIP set or FALANT test for color vision (see para
4–2a) unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and/or vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological
Projector or the Stereoscope, Vision Testing (SVT)."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
UnholyInfidel
Embryo

Post by UnholyInfidel »

Roger RangerGoon. I'm red/green colorblind pretty severely but I failed the pip and then the FALANT afterwards, then the sergeant just pulled out a book of pages that were red green
White or black throughout the page and then apparently that was all I needed cause
I got airborne qual and rasp qual cause of a physical profile of 11111. That was my experience, my counselor didn't care one bit for w.e reason
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

You can have a pulhes of 1's and be r/g color blind, but you cannot go airborne. That is what I am trying to say. Like I said above, There are 3 lights in the bird: Red, Amber, and Green....if you can't distinguish them it could potentially get a bit harry for you. If you already did you airborne physical then I guess you slid by.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Recruitment Process”