Mali coup

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Mali coup

Post by rgrokelley »

The last time I was in Mali was 13 years ago doing the ACRI mission. One of the reasons I retired from the Army was because I had spent more time in Africa during the last three years of my life, than I spent in Fort Bragg. Not to complain about the deployments, it is just part of what we do, but this ACRI thing was Clinton's thing and all I could see us doing was training the local African thugs on how to be better and more lethal thugs. Corruption was rampant and not a lot would get done. All they pretty much wanted was our money. When we gave them the equipment about a third of it would come up missing within a a few months, sold on the black market. The Mali infrastructure was dominated by the Bombara tribe, and then to the Foolani and Dogons. On the bottom of the heap were the Tuaregs.

The Tuaregs were the Irish of Mali. Descended from the Barbary pirates, they were the lighter skinned muslim tribesmen... the "blue men" of the desert. They fought the Mali government to a standstill in the Sahara, and got them to allow them into the government, but to a lesser role. When we trained the Mali soldiers, the Tuaregs stayed off to themselves, and took in all we taught them with a different intensity than the "black" Malians. You could see then, they were just biding their time.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... s-16048062

Too bad that it looks like they have turned to the dark side and gotten involved with the Muslim Brotherhood.

One more country falls to the ever growing caliphate.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: Mali coup

Post by colt1rgr »

I think what they REALLY need is a "new dictator". I vote we give them "ours" 8)
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"

Return to “The News Dump”