Aid workers kidnapped in Somalia are rescued

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Chiron
Ranger

Aid workers kidnapped in Somalia are rescued

Post by Chiron »

(CNN) -- Two foreign aid workers kidnapped in Somalia last year were rescued during an operation early Wednesday, a Danish aid group said.

"After being held hostage for three months, American citizen Jessica Buchanan and Poul Hagen Thisted from Denmark have today successfully been rescued from their kidnappers in Somalia," a statement from the Danish Refugee Council said.

FULL STORY
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Chiron
Ranger

Re: Aid workers kidnapped in Somalia are rescued

Post by Chiron »

Spec-ops raid in Somalia frees American, Dane

MOGADISHU, Somalia — U.S. military forces flew into Somalia in a nighttime helicopter raid Wednesday, freed an American and a Danish hostage, and killed nine pirates in a mission President Obama appeared to reference before his State of the Union speech, officials and a pirate source said.

The Danish Refugee Council confirmed that the two aid workers, American Jessica Buchanan and Dane Poul Hagen Thisted, were freed "during an operation in Somalia." Buchanan, 32, and Thisted, 60, had been working with a de-mining unit of the Danish Refugee Council when they were kidnapped in October……

……Maj. Kelly Cahalan, a military spokeswoman at U.S. Africa Command in Stuttgart, Germany, said she had no information on the raid. A spokeswoman at the Pentagon had no immediate comment. U.S. military rescue operations are typically carried out by highly trained special forces.

FULL STORY
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I can see why they wanted to get her out....she's definately fuckable.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Not only kind on the eyes, but bold as well. She was working with a de-mining unit.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

By Jim Miklaszewski, NBC News chief Pentagon correspondent

Updated at 8:15 a.m. ET: A U.S. official tells The Associated Press that the Navy SEAL team that rescued the American and Danish hostages in Somalia was the same one that killed Osama bin Laden.

Story
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Steadfast wrote:By Jim Miklaszewski, NBC News chief Pentagon correspondent

Updated at 8:15 a.m. ET: A U.S. official tells The Associated Press that the Navy SEAL team that rescued the American and Danish hostages in Somalia was the same one that killed Osama bin Laden.

Story
It must be one of the SEALs super highly classified missions. The public didn't learn about it for at least 24 hours.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Headoutdaplane
Ranger

Post by Headoutdaplane »

Why do they keep mentioning her medical condition as a reason to go get her. How about she is a US citizen (and not a journalist, I fully acknowledge my hypocrisy) and that is good enough reason.
Headoutdaplane
Hardrock 1/75 '83-'86
Class 2-85
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Headoutdaplane wrote:Why do they keep mentioning her medical condition as a reason to go get her. How about she is a US citizen (and not a journalist, I fully acknowledge my hypocrisy) and that is good enough reason.
The medical condition is being used to justify the timing, to deflect interest in the fact that it happened pretty much during the SOTU Address.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Lunch wrote:A well-planned operation: the White House knew that the Somali kidnappers would let their guard down as they became engrossed watching the Address.
I just blew dip all over my laptop. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “The News Dump”