Any Rangers miss being in the regular army infantry?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

HEART
Egg

Any Rangers miss being in the regular army infantry?

Post by HEART »

Which did you enjoy more and why?
How do you feel about your regular infantry counterparts?
How was the brotherhood and the feeling of being a family in each?

Its always been in the back of my head about these questions, as I have never counted out of just being a regular grunt.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Re: Any Rangers miss being in the regular army infantry?

Post by The Holmchicken »

Everywhere you go, you have something to learn even if it's what not to do. I used to look down on the "Big Army" grunts until I saw them limping back to base with multipile IED strikes. Not everyone can wear black kit and fast rope in to some shitheads house. Someone has to hold ground, maintain that constant presence and be the heavy firepower. Would I like to do it? No. But do I respect them for it. Absolutely.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
goon175
Ranger

Re: Any Rangers miss being in the regular army infantry?

Post by goon175 »

Kind of goes with how a lot of people feel about 88M's. In OSUT all the shit heads were threatened with reclass to 88M, and that MOS was basically just berated for being truck drivers. Looking at what they had to do in Iraq, I have a lot of respect for that career field. It takes a big set of brass ones to go drive the same route day in and day out getting hammered by IED's. They may not rock a 300 on the PT test or do the sexy cool guy stuff, but like holmchicken said, someone has to do it.

And, I can also say that I would never want to do that job. Not enough money in the world to go drive a truck, guard a gate, or do presence patrols for 18 months at a time. No thanks....
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “The Mosh Pit”