Introduction - Patrick

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

WRabbit
Embryo

Introduction - Patrick

Post by WRabbit »

Hello Rangers,
My name is Patrick, I have 2 of 3 years done at Linn State Technical College and will be graduating with 2 degrees in May of 2012. I currently have a summer internship at a nuclear power plant and start back to school soon.

I will go to MEPS for my physical Monday August 15th and plan on enlisting very soon after. I am going to sign up for 11x with the option 40, which my recruiter said would be hard. I had looked on this site before talking to him and said that I will not sign until that can be secured for me, much to his dismay. He soon changed his answer and said he can "find a spot or open one up for me." I appreciate what you men do for our great country.

Sincerely and with utmost respect,
Patrick
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." T. Roosevelt
WRabbit
Embryo

Re: Introduction - Patrick

Post by WRabbit »

Rangers,
I went to MEPS, got all "1's" much to my recruiters surprise, slight eye trouble, but correctable to 20/20. Now waiting for that 11x with option 40. Running, push ups, and sit ups in progression to a 300+ before I ship.
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

WRabbit wrote:Rangers,
Running, push ups, and sit ups in progression to a 300+ before I ship.

Thats the spirit Stud! Best of luck to you..... :wink:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
WRabbit
Embryo

Post by WRabbit »

Ranger ZoneIV, I haven't done a test for a while but will do one later today plus an extra 50 pushups since I have forgotten to post those with my intro.
WRabbit
Embryo

Post by WRabbit »

Ranger colt1rgr,
I appreciate the words of encouragement, doing another 50 for taking so long to respond.
Did a self-administered test today, perfect weather for it.

2-mile: 12:43
Push-ups: 42
Sit-ups: 55

Been focusing on running, as you can tell by the low other scores. Working to get those up to 72 each by Christmas.
WRabbit
Embryo

Post by WRabbit »

Rangers,
Tuesday, 20111018 I went to MEPS and enlisted as an 18x-ray series. Ship date 20120604. Thank you for all of your advice and help on this website. I know that I will not become a Ranger, but will be going to RASP. I have lots of time to prepare, so Army knowledge and higher PT scores are my main focus right now. Also have a rucksack and have 55 lbs in it, walking to class everyday and will start rucking in the evenings starting soon. Again I appreciate the advice and help.
Thank you Rangers
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

WRabbit wrote:and enlisted as an 18x-ray series
WRabbit wrote:I know that I will not become a Ranger, but will be going to RASP
What?
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

WRabbit wrote:Rangers, I have lots of time to prepare, so Army knowledge...
Time to do some more research bud.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

So I wonder what the Guidance Counselor/Recruiter told him.....

Bud, If you want to be a Ranger, then you need an opt. 40, there is no reason they cannot get you one, maybe just not today.

If you want to be an SF soldier, than you have the right contract. I just hope you do the research as Ranger Cams suggested, and realize the differences between the two units. Both have men of very high caliber, but have distinctly different areas of focus.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Sadly, all too often, Rangers and SF are lumped together. These are two unlike worlds. Ranger Goon is right on the money (as usual).
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
WRabbit
Embryo

Post by WRabbit »

RangerBuzz, yeah, thats what I said to my recruiter and my signer at MEPS. They both claim I am going through the first phase of RASP. I am very skeptical about this and constantly am asking for clarification but still haven't received any. My recruiter acts like he knows what he is talking about but at the same time doesn't understand. Going in today to have a nice sit down with him to clear this up so I can better understand.

Rangercams, yes I am aware of the difference in the two. As much as I highly respect the Rangers I decided to go with the 18x contract. Working with the indigenous cultures while still performing some direct action missions appealed to me. Thank you for the heads up though.

Rangergoon175, this was a premeditated decision, special forces over Rangers, so it was not a last ditch effort, but I appreciate the advice and know a few guys who I have to keep telling to fight for their contracts that they want even though they have to wait for the option 40.

RangerJim, I agree, given I am not either one, but I have a basic understanding of what they are on paper and hopefully will one day work with both and be one of them.
WRabbit
Embryo

Post by WRabbit »

Rangers, sorry for the multiple posts but I did an official PT test last week and here are my results:
Pushups: 57
Sit-ups:66
2-mile: 12:38
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Yeah, your not going to RASP. After airborne school you will be headed up to Bragg. If working with indig. forces is your thing, then you have the right contract.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Introduction Archive”