National Guard/Airborne in Enlistment Contract

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Adam E.
Embryo

National Guard/Airborne in Enlistment Contract

Post by Adam E. »

Rangers/Future Soldiers,

I am a ROTC cadet currently in the process of joining the National Guard where I plan on becoming an SMP cadet next year. I have filled out my paperwork and barring a few hiccups in my application should be heading to MEPS next Thursday. After reading many posts it seems that active duty contracts have much more bargaining power than MEPS makes them believe in terms of adding bonuses, and ensuring 11x option 40 is in their contract. I am wondering as a National Guard enlistee can I argue for the same provisions in my contract? As an 11B recruit I'd like to have Airborne school negotiated into my contract. Do you think as a Guard recruit I can request this or does the leeway only apply to Active Duty recruits?
"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty" - Proverbs 14:23

125th IN 2011-2014
10th MTN *2015-
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: National Guard/Airborne in Enlistment Contract

Post by K.Ingraham »

No. Go join an airborne unit. No reason the army should pay a SMP to block a slot for you to learn a skill that you will not be using.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Adam E.
Embryo

Post by Adam E. »

Thank you for the responses Rangers. I just had a meeting with my recruiter this morning and will be heading to MEPS on Wednesday. I will post a report when I get back.

Adam
"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty" - Proverbs 14:23

125th IN 2011-2014
10th MTN *2015-
Adam E.
Embryo

Post by Adam E. »

Rangers,

Thought I would post a sitrep about my current status. I just got back from MEPS today after a two week break for an orthopedic consult (left knee arthroscopy). I took the ASVAB and scored in the 96th percentile, was medically cleared, and received a PULHES score of 111111. I enlisted today as an 11B infantryman and ship out 30 APR 12. Needless to say the process was pretty lengthy because of my knee surgery, but I'm relieved I did not require any waivers or have any MOS restrictions because of my PULHES score. In the next two weeks I will be working on contracting with ROTC, to become an SMP cadet after I graduate Basic/AIT. Though it feels good to have passed one hurdle I now have my sights on my main goal which is branching infantry when I commission where I hope to one day have the opportunity to call myself a Ranger.

Adam

125th IN 2011-2014
10th MTN *2015-
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Adam E. wrote:Rangers,

Thought I would post a sitrep about my current status. I just got back from MEPS today after a two week break for an orthopedic consult (left knee arthroscopy). I took the ASVAB and scored in the 96th percentile, was medically cleared, and received a PULHES score of 111111. I enlisted today as an 11B infantryman and ship out 30 APR 12. Needless to say the process was pretty lengthy because of my knee surgery, but I'm relieved I did not require any waivers or have any MOS restrictions because of my PULHES score. In the next two weeks I will be working on contracting with ROTC, to become an SMP cadet after I graduate Basic/AIT. Though it feels good to have passed one hurdle I now have my sights on my main goal which is branching infantry when I commission where I hope to one day have the opportunity to call myself a Ranger.

Adam
Few questions, How many credits do you have? Are you entering ROTC in the advanced course (MS 3/4) as a junior? The reason I ask is because if you are still in the basic course (MS1/2) you can try to get an Airborne slot next summer. If you are entering the advanced course then next year you will go to LDAC and as an SMP they offer Air assault before LDAC. Drop me a PM if you have any specific questions.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Adam E.
Embryo

Post by Adam E. »

Ranger Silverback,

I am currently a sophomore with 42 credits now in my MSII year. I am doing OSUT and will be back the first week of August with school starting on or around Labor Day. I would love to do Airborne next summer, but I do not think I will have the time for it. Unless they offer it to me at Basic/AIT immediately after?

Adam

125th IN 2011-2014
10th MTN *2015-
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Adam E. wrote:Ranger Silverback,

I am currently a sophomore with 42 credits now in my MSII year. I am doing OSUT and will be back the first week of August with school starting on or around Labor Day. I would love to do Airborne next summer, but I do not think I will have the time for it. Unless they offer it to me at Basic/AIT immediately after?

Adam
The timing will have to be worked out with you ROTC program as the slots exist but not in abundance.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Recruitment Process”